Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 40d: Carp trap (a "crap")  (Read 1911 times)

Bombax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
40d: Carp trap (a "crap")
« on: March 21, 2011, 01:14:01 am »

Hi all,

I recently got a bit inspired from the Wiki and wondered if it would be possible to make a Carp Trap, e.g. a 4/7 swimming pool over which a retractable bridge is placed, such that when enemies are dropped in the pool, they are devoured by Carp. A most dwarvenly way to scourge your invaders, surely!

• Is carp available on every map? If not, is it moddable, e.g. turning Cave Fish into something nasty, for instance?
  • How does one catch and breed carp, and is the whole setup even conceivable? What are the steps?

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 40d: Carp trap (a "crap")
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 01:21:21 am »

Carp are not available on every map. Large creature-fish, similar to carp, are available on most non-freezing maps with running water, however.

You'd have to do some pretty significant modding in order to turn cave fish into a carp-like creature. You'd essentially have to make a full, new creature, as cave fish are vermin and IIRC don't have most of the tags a full-sized creature would need.

Catching carp is tricky but doable. You need to make an area beside the body of water the carp are found in, set it so that it can be flooded and drained as needed, cover it in cage traps, then flood it and attempt to herd the carp into the traps. Carp that go over cage traps are caught as surely as anything else. Then, you drain the trap zone and retrieve the fish. They won't drown as long as they're in cages, so once you've got them, you can take the cages, build them in your enemy trap, link them to levers, flood the enemy trap to 4/7, and then pull the levers to release the carp.

Fish do not breed by default, though fixing that is as simple as adding [CHILD:1] to their creature raw. Once you've got that, they should breed as long as there's a male and female on the map.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 10:51:35 am »

The poster above is full of truth.

You can mod carps as [PET], but their offsprings are "hostile" and will kill merchants.
You can mod carps as [TRAINABLE], but fuck, good luck getting them alive to a kennel. I do have a war carp screenshot somewhere.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 02:57:54 pm »

Its been done, somewhere on the forum there are details.

You build a kennel, then flood it to 3 (maybe 4), so your trainer can still access it, and the carp dont airdrown.

Now, sadly, it is useless, as carp got nerf teeth in 31.01. The dodging issue might still get some, but not in 4/7ths water.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 08:15:40 pm »

You could always connect the trap to a river/ocean via underground tunnel. It should be long enough that anything trying to swim out would drown before it made it to freedom, so that only fish can traverse the deadly passage. You also wouldn't need to worry about wasting time catching trap fodder or refilling it with water.
That didn't last long, huh? Shame, cause binary's cool. Anyway, an important message: I will be changing my names on every username based thing I use to ASCIt on/around 10/1. Consolidating, I guess you could say.

Shrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2011, 03:44:46 pm »

You could make them amphibious.

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2011, 05:27:18 pm »

You fool! Do you know what would happen if Carp were aloud to leave their watery prison!? The consequences would never be the same!
That didn't last long, huh? Shame, cause binary's cool. Anyway, an important message: I will be changing my names on every username based thing I use to ASCIt on/around 10/1. Consolidating, I guess you could say.