Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 40d: Fireplaces!  (Read 2268 times)

Bombax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
40d: Fireplaces!
« on: March 21, 2011, 12:57:08 am »

Hi all,

I recently got an idea for something that would be aesthetically pleasing in a fortress - personal fireplaces in each bedroom! I am imagining something like this:

Code: [Select]
    ╔═══╗
    ║π++╠═╗
    ║θ++#B║
    ║Æ++╠═╝
    ╚═══╝
    # = Wall Grate
    B = Magma-safe bin with coal on fire

I've never worked with this bug, though, so I have some question about this construct's feasibility. I'm imagining carefully dripping magma onto the bins to set them on fire. However...
  • Will it lower my FPS much too much to be worth it?
  • Does the bin on fire actually give some visual, like yellow-red blinking?
  • Is smoke a problem?
Any other thoughts are also welcome! :)

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
Re: 40d: Fireplaces!
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 01:14:06 am »

• Will it lower my FPS much too much to be worth it?
Not 100% sure, but I think yes. Take for example, bushfires ingame. They lag decently badly, and I don't think it's from the game calculating what catches on fire later, but where the smoke will go to. Not really worth it for something you'll be looking at every once and a while.

• Does the bin on fire actually give some visual, like yellow-red blinking?
Yes. I'm not sure if the smoke will cover it though.

• Is smoke a problem?
If a dwarf gets caught in it, yes.
Dwarves that inhale smoke will get unhappy thoughts. They also may get internal injuries or become unconscious.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 01:15:51 am by Tarran »
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 01:15:27 am »

It might be better to have one fireplace per 4 bedrooms in terms of FPS. Smoke does cause FPS drop, especially in large amounts. By arranging the rooms such that you have 4 bedrooms around each fireplace, I'm pretty sure you'd get less smoke.

The bin itself won't be visible. Nor, in fact, will the bedrooms, or the dwarves in the bedrooms. They'll be totally obscured by smoke. Smoke is as opaque as miasma.

Smoke is indeed a problem; it causes FPS drop, blocks your view, and gives your dwarves unhappy thoughts. Your fireplaces will probably make all of your dwarves miserable due to the smoke. Think how happy a waterfall makes your people; smoke has the opposite effect.

Also, you'd have to reload each fireplace roughly every 9 months. In 31.x, at least, that's how long a charcoal bar takes to burn out, and it's probably the same in 40d.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Bombax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 12:46:08 am »

Oh, ah well. This functionality would have been cool, though (or hot, depending on how you look at it). Maybe in the future not only safe fire-lighting could be implemented but also non-smoking fire sources.

Meanwhile, I might go for another substitute: Clear glass windows with 7/7 magma behind them. Jolly! 8)

Dora Feddy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 06:15:47 am »

Why not construct a chimney along with your fireplace? If you're not too deep underground, then it aught to work and funnel the smoke to the outside. Just be sure to put a grate or something over the opening to prevent baddies from getting in.

A fireplace would be cozy for those cold or freezing biomes. A good idea, but does it melt ice floors or walls?

Urist McGyver

• Bay Watcher
  • I love Roc Birds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2011, 06:20:37 am »

Oh, ah well. This functionality would have been cool, though (or hot, depending on how you look at it). Maybe in the future not only safe fire-lighting could be implemented but also non-smoking fire sources.

Meanwhile, I might go for another substitute: Clear glass windows with 7/7 magma behind them. Jolly! 8)

Its funny 'cos if a building destroyer manages to enter the bedroom it will flood it with magma.
It's treated as completely normal because this is Dwarf Fortress.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with surrounding yourself with a wall of flames, only to later realize that you're surrounded by a wall of flames.
There's nothing that can't be solved by hurling fifteen roc birds at it.

OcelotTango

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2011, 09:32:57 am »

Simply replace the grate with a clear glass window, aesthetically pleasing, and dwarf accessible. Add a chimney for show, even though they wouldn't do anything.

Urist McGyver

• Bay Watcher
  • I love Roc Birds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2011, 10:30:51 am »

Simply replace the grate with a clear glass window, aesthetically pleasing, and dwarf accessible. Add a chimney for show, even though they wouldn't do anything.
They'll let a goblin with a flying mount(or a roc bird) invade. If the flying mount in question is a building destroyer(or its a roc), you'll have a !!FLAMING!! invader on your bedroom.
It's treated as completely normal because this is Dwarf Fortress.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with surrounding yourself with a wall of flames, only to later realize that you're surrounded by a wall of flames.
There's nothing that can't be solved by hurling fifteen roc birds at it.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2011, 02:12:07 pm »

You don't need to put the flammable item in a bin unless you intend to expose the item to the open sky and don't want it to be extinguished by rain.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.