Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Military Set-Up  (Read 793 times)

MantisMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Say what you mean, mean what you say.
    • View Profile
Military Set-Up
« on: March 20, 2011, 08:53:29 pm »

I was wondering how you guys set up your military barracks and stockpiles. What I've been doing is I have a large-ish room right next to the entrance with an armour stand or some other military piece of furniture. I set that single room as the area for storing equipment and training for all squads. I put my weapon / armour / ammo stockpiles in the room

For the marksdwarf squad, I usually try to set up an outdoor archery range with a big stockpile of bone bolts, and my good bolts in a stockpile up on the defense balcony.

I normally have one squad on guard duty per month, or for three months of the year, with the rest of the time spent in training. I try to have each squad spend more time training than guarding / patrolling.

Should I be doing anything different to get the best response time from my military? Like putting beds in their barracks, or using a separate barracks for each squad?
How I usually build my fort.
We're all secretly mantises. Except that one guy. We're trolling the shit out of him.

RTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Military Set-Up
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 08:59:36 pm »

One word: Magma

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 09:02:34 pm »

One word: Magma
Yes, that was very helpful.  And original too!

Seriously though, whatever works.  There's ways to optimize, like small squads of 3-4 to improve sparring efficiency.  Placing the soldiers' bedrooms/barracks at the entrance helps, since they'll train and sleep right next to trouble.  You can also use the evil "wake up smash" which is to place a floor tile upon a Support, and when trouble arrives you break the support.  The floor falls, causing a cave-in, and that wakes up like the entire fort.  Good way to get soldiers awake and in action in a hurry.  Brokers too!

MantisMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 09:03:58 pm »

The only time I've actually gotten to the magma sea, it was about 150 levels below the rest of my fort. Making a magma pump / plug would have taken much too long, and I don't think I had the magma-proof materials available to make a proper reservoir / flooding apparatus.
We're all secretly mantises. Except that one guy. We're trolling the shit out of him.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2011, 09:04:10 pm »

Spoiler: Images (click to show/hide)
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2011, 09:08:19 pm »

..... "wake up smash" which is to place a floor tile upon a Support, and when trouble arrives you break the support.  The floor falls, causing a cave-in, and that wakes up like the entire fort.  Good way to get soldiers awake and in action in a hurry.  Brokers too!

I remember once in 40d, I had a cave-in from above that destroyed the floor tiles it landed on. Wouldn't this cause you to knock holes in your barracks (too much hassle and is unsightly)?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2011, 09:10:02 pm »

Not if there's a wall underneath it.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

MantisMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2011, 09:12:51 pm »

Thanks.

Regarding the "wake-up smash" should I take care to put it into its own out-of-the-way room with a door to stop the dust from choking the military dorfs? I guess the support should be set up in the front / center section of the fort?

I take it that the images are all going pretty much straight down in a column?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2011, 09:19:05 pm »

Because of the way noise works, you can place it a level or two above or below the barracks.  Or do some lame tricks like build a dozen chairs...

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Noise

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2011, 09:33:44 pm »

Not if there's a wall underneath it.

Ooooh... Well, looks like from now on, sieges will no longer cause me to save-scum all the time due to sleeping military. Thanks! :D