Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: couldn't kill a kitten  (Read 1910 times)

Biopass

• Bay Watcher
  • Human
    • View Profile
Re: couldn't kill a kitten
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2011, 10:48:44 pm »

I will not draft dwarves with immediate family, especially children, present in the fortress. If female draftees give birth they are released, unless they are so high-skilled that it would cause an unhappy thought.

I also don't kill cats unless absolutely necessary- I trade them.
500 fps vanilla 4x4 embark. intel master race.

Gorfob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2011, 10:50:39 pm »

i refuse to kill elves. its a pain in the ass to forbid/dump all their junk.

1) Run a dump selection over eveyrthing you hve caged
2) Go into stocks and undump cages only.
3) Watch as your dwarvers spedn the next 15 years carrying the elves socks 1 by 1 to a garbage dump

Personally I use this:

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Stupid_dwarf_trick#Mass_Cage_Recycling_System

Hammerstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2011, 10:53:12 pm »

Only one cat is needed to keep the fortress clear of rodents, unless you've grown especially huge, and I've dealt with catsplosions in the past. When the time comes to cull the herd, you'd be surprised how quickly dwarves get sick of cat meat.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2011, 11:47:43 pm »

First impression of this thread: You were massively incompetent. Now I just think you're sappy.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

schussel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2011, 01:34:19 am »

I wont dump or butcher them, but use em for recon and bait issues

oddly later behind my weapon trap/dodgetrap hall - imagine 2 chained kittens scratch the hell out of a surviving warleopard with broken legs -
he got launched between them by the trap somehow and kept passing out.

After 2 seasons i finaly got fed up and drafted a hunter to kill this poor fellow :D

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2011, 01:43:13 am »

I don't use wooden axes to cut down trees. I also don't kill dwarves deliberately, and try to avoid putting them in excessively dangerous situations. No charges over open ground when facing ranged attackers, that sort of thing.

The only reason I stopped using wooden axes was because I could make metal ones so easily and I wanted my woodcutters to be properly armed.  As for kittens, I think I was planning to implement a "kitten smelter" once upon a time.  Which is strange, because I like IRL cats.

In Dwarf Fortress, it's just not safe to be a cat.
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2011, 02:12:36 am »

I just can't do it. They are just so small and helpless and cute and... AWW! Who's my fuzzy little kitty? You are!

I know atrocities in the name of !!SCIENCE!! and Fun! are normal in the world of DF, but is there something you refuse to do in the game?
it sounds like you like cats for their aloofness.

There are only a few things I can't do anymore. I couldn't kill a good-aligned FB recently (it was just so... innocent), and I don't kill cats and dogs unless I need to.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Baron Baconeer

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:horrifying features]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2011, 02:52:08 am »

I've had a fort that ate cats, wore cats and crafted cat bone crafts. Solely.

Coincidentally, I don't like cats.
Yes, mother ****ing walruses stormed in through my well room, fatally gored my expedition leader, and danced off into the frosty tundra to sing happy walrus songs about oysters.

xordae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2011, 03:57:37 am »

I don't kill caravans or dwarves and I try to get immigrants into the fortress alive.

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2011, 04:43:42 am »

The only thing I won't horribly murder or torture is aesthetics.
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.
Ashes are technically fire-safe.

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2011, 05:05:30 am »

I've been playing DF since before 40d came out, and it seems the only thing I won't do is actually finish building and running a fort before it goes irreparably wrong, or I get bored and have a new idea for it, or the next version comes out.  I'd like to have some epic stories and sieges that litter the ground with corpses and blood, but I never actually get the fortress defences finished (or trained) before I'm already starting again.
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2011, 05:30:16 am »

I like cats a lot, but I had to resolve myself to killing the kitties. On the other hand, once one of these manages to adopt a dwarf... I won't go out of my way to kill the owner or the pet.
Also, I don't do segregation or mass-killing of my dwarfs. Even though their sheer number annoys me, I can't execute or lock out immigrants. I once forcefully enrolled "useless" dwarfs in a squad whose only decided fate was to be launched from a bridge... most survived and became target practice for doctors. A few didn't survive the fall. And a couple more were atomsmashed because they were stuck under the raised bridge. The fact some of them already got lovers, and actually didn't do anything wrong besides thinking the cheese industry would be big... I had to stop after the 3rd launch. Instead, I forcefully enroll them instead in a special meatshield squad should the rest of my military be particularly weakened. They still get metal/leather armor and wooden/iron weapons because meat shields typically last a lot faster if they're not just made of meat.

tl;dr: I got so many scruples it's a good thing I can instead unleash my wrath on nobles and goblins and elfs and horrors of the deep and...
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2011, 06:11:49 am »

Only on the bay12 forums does this thread make any sense at all. To be honest, I seem to be a bit of a sociopath to everything but my dwarves. Cats? BUTCHER THEM. Elves? MAGMA. and so on.
Quote from: Wing, via Discord
I want a coat that doesn't make me look like a rear admiral from the East India Company

Jordan~

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2011, 09:22:55 am »

Lots of things. My dwarves only kill in self-defense and I'd rather let some haulier go berzerk than butcher someone's pet to get him the bones he needs for a mood.
Maybe an exception for someone who so much as looks a dog funny. No mercy for them.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 09:24:46 am by Jordan~ »

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2011, 11:02:13 am »

I never managed to tolerate the economy for long.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]
Pages: 1 [2]