Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: What to do about a siege?  (Read 3319 times)

Hakar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What to do about a siege?
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2011, 11:41:12 am »

That did not quite work as expected. The water flushed the goblins out of the main corridor, and instead trapped them on the lower level. I don't see any way I can get to them now, but they are now effectively out of the way.

Now to pump out all this water and reset the trap

This is actually even better. Now, when the next group of goblins is caught in the trap, the last thing they will hear before drowning is the mad crying of the first group trying to escape.
A dwarf's unfailing capacity to believe what he prefers to be true rather than what the evidence shows to be likely and possible has always astounded me. We long for a caring Fortress which will save us from our childish mistakes, and in the face of mountains of evidence to the contrary we will pin all our hopes on the slimmest of doubts. Gold has not been proven not to exist, therefore it must exist.
Philosopher Prokhor Zakharov,
"For I Have Tasted The Plump Helmet"

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2011, 01:29:45 pm »

For shame. Obviously you didn't apply enough water if the goblins are still alive. And the best way to have a Goblin kill chamber is to mine out a 15-20z drop, and flush them into it. For now just turn on the water until it drowns them/pushes them out of the fortress. Then mine a way down into it, and block it with a wall after you mine out 15-20 floors down. Then you can crawl back up and know that next time the Gobbos will die painfully. And retreiving the stuff is as easy as removing a construction.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2011, 02:30:54 pm »

1Z to stun
3-6Z to break bones and cause moderate injury
8-10Z for really serious injuries
12Z for a kill
15Z+ to be double-sure

(Just make sure that the falling critter doesn't land on an alive critter at the bottom?)

RTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2011, 03:09:24 pm »

I redesigned the trap, Now nothing gets out alive >:)  I still need a few minor tweaks here and there, and the only real problem I have now is the river stays frozen 1/3 of the year (Not that anything that falls in the trap can get out.

Now I just need to figure out a way to manage if another building destroyer shows up. I can't rely on him staying put long enough for the drowning trap.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2011, 03:26:59 pm »

Ways to deal with trap-immune.

1) Use upright spears/spikes on some sort of repeater (even if it's just a dwarf pulling on /R).  Double points for making the beast dodge off a narrow walkway and into an abyss.

2) Use water to flush it off a narrow walkway and into a 12Z+ fall.  One suggestion is to construct the bridge where you'll be applying mass quantities of water out of "down" stairs (or up or up/down?).  It will flush them down, but will mist most of the water, making cleanup easier.  (I have not tested this.)

3) Trap it somewhere, use it for target practice?

RTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2011, 03:29:14 pm »

Have any of you run into problems with water pushing enemies through fortifications? It has happened to me more then once.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2011, 03:32:17 pm »

Now I just need to figure out a way to manage if another building destroyer shows up. I can't rely on him staying put long enough for the drowning trap.

Hatches over pressurized magma. Alternatively, doors holding back/up magma.

Have any of you run into problems with water pushing enemies through fortifications? It has happened to me more then once.

Well-known bug.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2011, 05:06:18 pm »

If the water level is 7/7, then you can move past a fortification.  For instance, getting carp in your underground cistern if the floodgate is left open.  Not sure I'd count it as a bug.  Now, if things get pushed through a wall grate...

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2011, 05:16:31 pm »

Easy method of eliminating building destroyers. The entire area is accessed by two bridges. In the middle of the bridges is a floor, hung from four supports, all connected to a lever. Beast enters, lever is pulled, retracts bridges, releases supports. Dead Building Destroyer.

Works for anything but fliers, but I don't think those are qualifiable as BD's, short of FB's.

Nameless Archon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2011, 02:04:00 pm »

Catchpockets can help. (In the following diagram, O represents a wall, X is a fortification, . is an empty floor tile. I assume water input is from the left, but I'm not sure it matters.)
Code: [Select]
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOO.OOOOOOO
...OOO.OOOOOOOO
OOOXOXOXOOOOOOO
OOOO.OOO.......
OOOOO.OOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Critters flushed through a fortification will tend to end up trapped in the small two-square pockets between the inputs and outputs - they have to get pushed through multiple times to escape. Scale diagram up to match your desired level of paranoia about this bug's frequency.

To prevent issues on the inputs, I sandwich the serially-arranged flow-control floodgates between fortifications to keep building destroyers off them. I then use multiple floodgates on the same lever, arranged so the water must pass through all floodgates to enter. Failure of a single (or even several) floodgates due to a beast getting pushed into the works doesn't stop the system from working correctly - it will be shut down by one of the other floodgates, as it is multiply redundant. Even a building destroyer can't wreck the system.

the downside is that it can take some time to set up a system of this nature, so it's better suited to a mature fort, or one where you have time to set up.
Pages: 1 [2]