Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 58

Author Topic: Godhood IV OOC Thread  (Read 46742 times)

Caesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Godhood IV OOC Thread
« Reply #390 on: April 15, 2011, 08:45:58 am »

Subsistence level hunter/gatherer behavior is not sustainable for large groups if those people are confined to human locomotion because the range they can hunt/gather from does not hold enough renewable food sources to sustain a large population. Relying on hunting/gathering puts a very definite population limit on your tribe. At the very least you will need to move your tribe often as your population rises, following herds like native american tribes did.

When worldbuilding technology, it helps to remember the different potential routes to a tech, as well as the actual ones (of which there were various even in history).  For example, writing probably sprung out of accountancy in Sumeria as a result of priests keeping accurate records of the loans of flocks of sheep to various farmers, whereas most people would expect writing to have come before math.

And yes, subsistence gathering is only sustainable with small numbers over a large area and a fair amount of movement.  I haven't covered it in my posts, but I'm under the assumption that the jungle tribes (of which the Viper Tribe is a part) have a fairly large territory that they either 'rove' periodically around (uprooting and moving their village every few years) and/or send gathering parties out from a central location.  That lifestyle won't keep them competitive with the agrarian tribes, ultimately, which is why things have to change.  Fortunately, strife is pretty good with change.

Which is one of the main things I am paying attention to. Hence my critical attitude to suddenly gaining the knowledge of masonry or writing. Not that I can't work with it, though.

Edit:  Toying with describing some of Elti's interactions with her 'inheritors' of the dubious position of pseudo-priest.  Nah, I'd rather leave that whole area to Caesar since it's not really an action the Lady has any control over.

What exactly do you mean?
Spider Overhaul
Adding realistic spiders to Dwarf Fortress. (Discontinued.)

Godhood VIII
The latest installment in the Godhood roleplaying game series.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: April 15, 2011, 11:30:12 am »

There's a singleplayer version of Godhood going on in the MSPA forums now. I think they're kinda missing the point - interacting with other players is a huge part of the game, atleast to me. Singleplayer god games can be fun, but it's just not this game anymore.

Also forsaken, get to work! *whip*
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: April 15, 2011, 12:05:15 pm »

Eh, whether or not I should do a post on Elti training her acolytes, or leave it entirely up to you to decide how it goes.  I'd probably prefer the latter because it keeps things out of my control, though the former would be fun to write.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Evergod41

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: April 15, 2011, 02:40:05 pm »

You've changed my mind, and I have changed my action. My people have lost arcitechture and gain agriculture, and domestication.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: April 15, 2011, 02:42:52 pm »

I HAVE HAD THE BEST WEEK EVAH !!!! Also should we add each gods tribe to their god description ?

Caesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: April 15, 2011, 03:22:08 pm »

Eh, whether or not I should do a post on Elti training her acolytes, or leave it entirely up to you to decide how it goes.  I'd probably prefer the latter because it keeps things out of my control, though the former would be fun to write.

While I tend to be obsessive over protecting the few writings turns I get myself, I would not object against incorporating what you wrote on the training in the turn posts.

Or ask me whether the post would fit within the plans.

Then again, the whole point is that the actual results of your actions are managed by me, which means that your view and my view on your orders to Elti might differ.
I'll leave the thinking to you for now.

I HAVE HAD THE BEST WEEK EVAH !!!! Also should we add each gods tribe to their god description ?

Congratulations.
And I'd rather not, as tribes and cities are not necessarily theirs. Better to do it the other way around and add which prominent tribes worship which god(s).

You've changed my mind, and I have changed my action. My people have lost architecture and gain agriculture, and domestication.

Very well.

There's a singleplayer version of Godhood going on in the MSPA forums now. I think they're kinda missing the point - interacting with other players is a huge part of the game, atleast to me. Singleplayer god games can be fun, but it's just not this game anymore.

How does that work?
I've got mixed opinions on the spread of Godhood to so many other forums.
On one side, I feel proud something I worked on has actually been copied 'by the Internet', and that people enjoy it.
On the other end of the spectrum, I feel this nagging inside that this automatically makes this Godhood less good or authentic. Rather illogical. I also noticed that they no longer give the B12forums the credit, although that I do not really mind.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 03:26:47 pm by Caesar »
Spider Overhaul

Godhood VIII

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: April 15, 2011, 04:36:50 pm »

No matter what they say this was created by you, and we know it thanks fro creating such a great game by the way. Once I get into college, and start my classes for programming I am thinking of making a Godhood inspired game.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: April 15, 2011, 07:01:45 pm »

Will put up turn later this week.

FAMILY TROUBLES GOGOGO
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Caesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: April 15, 2011, 08:52:46 pm »

No matter what they say this was created by you, and we know it thanks fro creating such a great game by the way. Once I get into college, and start my classes for programming I am thinking of making a Godhood inspired game.

Not quite. I was inspired by someone else as well. But I'd sincerely like to thank you nonetheless.

Will put up turn later this week.

FAMILY TROUBLES GOGOGO

Take your time. But not our time, of course.
Family troubles are of an interesting sort, always popping up when they are least welcome (at any moment).
Spider Overhaul

Godhood VIII

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #399 on: April 16, 2011, 01:21:38 am »

Death has acted. BAM. Good I hope.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: April 16, 2011, 01:25:23 am »

*imagines Death as Emeril. "BAM BAM BAM"*

Anyways, I've got a rough draft thing, hopefully will have it up this week! :D
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: April 16, 2011, 06:29:34 am »

How rude, Death totally ignored Mahet! Now he'll have to actually walk all the way to the Throne.

Also, kinda off-topic, but I discovered a great site that has tons of background music pieces of different themes and such. Listening to music usually helps me if I'm suffering from writer's block or want to give a piece of writing a certain theme, but that might just be me. Here it is anyhow, I DL'd a ton of dark-and-creepy pieces, fast-paced action things and nice 'mystical' pieces. 
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: April 16, 2011, 06:36:22 am »

How rude, Death totally ignored Mahet! Now he'll have to actually walk all the way to the Throne.

Also, kinda off-topic, but I discovered a great site that has tons of background music pieces of different themes and such. Listening to music usually helps me if I'm suffering from writer's block or want to give a piece of writing a certain theme, but that might just be me. Here it is anyhow, I DL'd a ton of dark-and-creepy pieces, fast-paced action things and nice 'mystical' pieces.

Awesome!
YOU DOUBLE PENIS

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #403 on: April 16, 2011, 06:37:18 am »

Death is not at your beck and call! Also, he's a busy guy.

Also also: I missed the part where Mahet came to Death's realm.

If you want to post some flavor on exploring the realm of the dead, I picture it as a vast mostly-empty expanse of gray dead dust plains dotted here and there by ruins of ancient constructions. You can find interesting stuff there as cultures and whole civilizations also die out, not just people. Later today I'll appear to Mahet when I have more time to write.

Edit: Also remember that time is different there. You could walk for what seems like years while only a moment passes on earth, or you could spend 5 minutes waiting for Death to reply while 50 years pass on earth.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 06:40:30 am by forsaken1111 »

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: April 16, 2011, 06:53:53 am »

Thanks for the description - I already started writing based on the post where you create the Citadel, but the ruins of civilizations-part is interesting. If you've got nothing against it, I'll have Mahet walk all the way up the Throne where he'll be sitting.

Background piece for this? 'Lightless Dawn', very eerie and dark.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 58