Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 58

Author Topic: Godhood IV OOC Thread  (Read 46753 times)

Caesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Godhood IV OOC Thread
« Reply #375 on: April 14, 2011, 08:46:09 am »

The way I'm envisioning it, time is mutable on the plane of Death. Its not useful for any exploitative purposes and it isn't time travel, its just that a minute can seem like a lifetime or 50 years could pass in an eyeblink. Have fun with it, use it in your roleplay if you like. Don't abuse it.

Caesar, if you don't like it let me know and I'll edit.

The plane of Death is, in effect, your realm, like Kinaré's Cave is hers. So the workings of time and even laws of nature in their realms are determined by the Gods themselves. As long as people will not stress the boundaries too much, we'll be alright.

I also find it curious to see the Lady testing the extent of her invisible opponent's power.

Somehow I can't see the Lady ever creating a realm of her own in that way, but I might do something with temples later.  She's a less Elemental god than Death, Destruction, Growth, the Sea or even to an extent Dreams.  A plane of Strife doesn't really make much sense.

The Lady is an embodiment of strife.  That doesn't always mean fighting, but she's got a pretty keen grasp of human nature.  As much as this is testing her invisible opponent's power, she's testing (Kinare's) level of control.  I'm planning a few moves ahead any way.

I wouldn't say I was disappointed in my expectations.  Pleasantly surprised is about right.  I also like the contrast in attitudes that's developing between the chosen servants of the different gods; where Elti more or less hated the Lady by the end (in part due to her failure and the futility of her quest), Isra died hand in hand with Mahet.  Nevertheless, both remained loyal.

Edit:  I'm also not 100% why I had Elti's reunion with the Lady be such a sour one.  It just seemed the appropriate response to an ultimately fruitless lifetime of servitude, especially to such a callous (if not actually uncaring) master.

I never stated that the Gods need to form a realm of their own, especially not when it deals with their spheres like the Realm of Dreams and the Realm of the Dead do. The main other reason to form a realm would be to create a sanctuary for the God to remain when they can no longer sustain themselves on the realm of mortals, or to retreat to to recuperate.

Kinaré is a curious Goddess. While it is not very hard for her to test the amount of control and power The Lady has, she finds it curious to try and get to know her, playing a figurative game of chess where either one of them can keep, as you phrased it 'a few moves ahead'. Kinaré respects strife, as it is one of the most important attributes of mortals (and thus, through an extent, one of her own).

Loyalty can be gained in multiple ways.

It seemed appropriate to me indeed. In fact, I did not expect otherwise.

Huh. So basically, its where we go for our R&R.

Oddly enough, I wrote a 2 1/3 page essay in about 30 minutes today, yet I am struggling to finish my act in 3 times that. I hate when school steals my creative juices.

Heh. School doesn't allow the use of 'creative juices'. It tries to restrict creative thinking, to form and shape you for society. Not that it's a bad thing, mind you.

R&R?
Spider Overhaul
Adding realistic spiders to Dwarf Fortress. (Discontinued.)

Godhood VIII
The latest installment in the Godhood roleplaying game series.

Humaan

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, I know Human is spelled with 1 "a"
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: April 14, 2011, 12:19:59 pm »

Rest and Relaxation, man, good ol' R&R.

Yep, yet I type most of my posts at school.
Quote from: SolarShado
Hell yes! Who need a space elevator when you've got a space escalator!?!?
Quote from: Cthulhu
Watch out bots, Sherlock Humaan is on the case.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: April 14, 2011, 12:27:26 pm »

Bah, I wanna write something, but I can't really update my RTD twice and forsaken hasn't posted. I kind of want to revive one of my old forum games, but that's probably a bad idea, and I can't start a new game because I was planning to use AsciiDraw for it and it won't work.

In short: bah.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ˇNo parmesan!

Caesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: April 14, 2011, 12:37:23 pm »

Rest and Relaxation.. Interesting. I did not know that abbreviation.

I'll add a Bah for you if it makes you feel better.
Spider Overhaul

Godhood VIII

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #379 on: April 14, 2011, 03:04:24 pm »

...and forsaken hasn't posted...
Working on that, expect something tonight most likely.

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: April 14, 2011, 03:07:02 pm »

Awww. no more poptart deathcat.
Quote from: Wing, via Discord
I want a coat that doesn't make me look like a rear admiral from the East India Company

Evergod41

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: April 14, 2011, 04:59:14 pm »

I hope I didn't come off as angry or anything... I kind of felt like I did, but then again, I'm hungry...

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: April 14, 2011, 05:03:16 pm »

Liked the post, theatrics are becoming.  Don't forget to bold your actions for Caesar's turn summary.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Caesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: April 14, 2011, 05:27:16 pm »

Liked the post, theatrics are becoming.  Don't forget to bold your actions for Caesar's turn summary.

Well noted. Depending on what exactly you tried to achieve, the cost and effects of your act might vary.
Leave the decision to me, and we might end up in a misunderstanding. I detest misunderstandings.
Spider Overhaul

Godhood VIII

Evergod41

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: April 14, 2011, 05:32:23 pm »

Well, knew that whole hunger part might do something to my thinking, but with a belley full of pizza, I should be at peak efficiency.

Caesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: April 14, 2011, 05:37:44 pm »

Excellent.
I have to leave, however.

But before I do, several comments: You do realize that stone structures and writing were only necessary after the development of agriculture (in fact, most technologies were)? It might be a poor pick for your people.

Then again, I'll see what I can do. I might feel benevolent during the next update.
Spider Overhaul

Godhood VIII

Evergod41

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: April 14, 2011, 05:54:12 pm »

Excellent.

But before I do, several comments: You do realize that stone structures and writing were only necessary after the development of agriculture (in fact, most technologies were)? It might be a poor pick for your people.

Then again, I'll see what I can do. I might feel benevolent during the next update.
I thought of that, but, if they have such good hunting to be in the same spot for 50 years, it's about the same thing. If not, then architecture will be traded with agriculture... I just want writing, so they dont forget.

Caesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: April 15, 2011, 03:31:09 am »

Excellent.

I thought of that, but, if they have such good hunting to be in the same spot for 50 years, it's about the same thing. If not, then architecture will be traded with agriculture... I just want writing, so they dont forget.

Ariculture brings far more food yields than hunting and gathering. Besides, they sustain themselves by sending out hunting parties, like all good tribes did.
Spider Overhaul

Godhood VIII

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #388 on: April 15, 2011, 03:44:49 am »

Subsistence level hunter/gatherer behavior is not sustainable for large groups if those people are confined to human locomotion because the range they can hunt/gather from does not hold enough renewable food sources to sustain a large population. Relying on hunting/gathering puts a very definite population limit on your tribe. At the very least you will need to move your tribe often as your population rises, following herds like native american tribes did.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: April 15, 2011, 03:48:28 am »

When worldbuilding technology, it helps to remember the different potential routes to a tech, as well as the actual ones (of which there were various even in history).  For example, writing probably sprung out of accountancy in Sumeria as a result of priests keeping accurate records of the loans of flocks of sheep to various farmers, whereas most people would expect writing to have come before math.

And yes, subsistence gathering is only sustainable with small numbers over a large area and a fair amount of movement.  I haven't covered it in my posts, but I'm under the assumption that the jungle tribes (of which the Viper Tribe is a part) have a fairly large territory that they either 'rove' periodically around (uprooting and moving their village every few years) and/or send gathering parties out from a central location.  That lifestyle won't keep them competitive with the agrarian tribes, ultimately, which is why things have to change.  Fortunately, strife is pretty good with change.

Edit:  Toying with describing some of Elti's interactions with her 'inheritors' of the dubious position of pseudo-priest.  Nah, I'd rather leave that whole area to Caesar since it's not really an action the Lady has any control over.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 03:53:59 am by Iituem »
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 58