Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: No Fun!  (Read 2215 times)

Kuroda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
No Fun!
« on: March 20, 2011, 03:40:16 pm »

Here's what's going on. Pretty much I've gotten a total of 19 dwarves (I'm a total newb. This is the only time I've gotten past 7) and have run out of food. My dwarves have no focused jobs, and the fort is missing important rooms... like a refuse pile. So I've decided to kill them all off and start over for the sake of Fun...

..but they won't die!

No food, no booze, barely any water, no (living) livestock. They just keep drinking water! I was hoping one would get mad about lack of food/booze and throw a tantrum but instead they're just standing around. I even tried making one drown himself! (The damned water froze before I could...) Anyone have any suggestions on how to have some fort ending fun?

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: No Fun!
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 03:42:23 pm »

You have removed all beds, chairs and tables too?
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.
Ashes are technically fire-safe.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 03:43:48 pm »

Dig down. As far as you can. You will assuredly find Fun.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Moddan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 03:47:14 pm »

Build a big bridge 6 or more levels above ground, link it to a lever directly nearby, station all but 1 dwarf on the bridge and let the remaining dwarf pull the lever. Immediately station the last dwarf on the bridge as well and hope that the delay is long enough.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2011, 03:59:14 pm »

Fantastic, huh?  They'll eat vermin and drink water, and the buggers refuse to die!  I suggest loyalty cascade.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2011, 04:03:27 pm »

I suggest you familiarize yourself with the depths. Specifically, dig until you can't dig any more, then dig deeper through a vein of some shiny stuff.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Kuroda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2011, 04:15:12 pm »

You have removed all beds, chairs and tables too?
No. Was planning on reusing the fort... maybe. I don't know.
Dig down. As far as you can. You will assuredly find Fun.
I'd like to... (Newb alert)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2011, 04:21:20 pm »

d - j allows you to carve downward staircases.
d - i allows you to carve up/down staircases.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Kuroda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2011, 04:24:22 pm »

Lol, in the time it took me to come back and read that post, all but three of my dwarves died of thirst and two are tantruming. I think I'll try digging down with my last (sane) dwarf.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2011, 04:32:16 pm »

For some reason, I feel like inviting you to recreate the next boatmurdered...

Kuroda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2011, 05:02:16 pm »

SUCCESS... or Failure.

My last two dwarves died. Now I feel like restarting it, even though I wouldn't doubt running out of food again. But who cares? Losing is fun!

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2011, 05:17:32 pm »

Now I feel like restarting it, even though I wouldn't doubt running out of food again. But who cares? Losing is fun!
You see up there, to the left of this message.  That's my nom de clavier on this forum.  "Starver" was a pretty apt name for me when I first joined this forum, I just couldn't get the food-stuffs right.  These days, with the odd glitch (concentrating on megaprojects, for example) my big problem is not getting it stored fast enough and having rotting meals laying around in the kitchen.  (Which is why my kitchen, butchers and a couple of related workshops are often built in the open air, or usually at least down a shaft open to the outside.)

Bear with it, you'll get there.

Knowing how to dig down is something you hopefully now understand, but there's a whole lot of stuff out there to learn, and I still eschew some practical aspects of the game in favour of some kind of imagined aesthetics.

Make yourself familiar with the Wiki, as well as search the forums, and you should be able to find information on just about any question you have.  The only problem then is not knowing that you have to ask a particular question in the first place.

Kuroda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2011, 05:33:11 pm »

Now I feel like restarting it, even though I wouldn't doubt running out of food again. But who cares? Losing is fun!
You see up there, to the left of this message.  That's my nom de clavier on this forum.  "Starver" was a pretty apt name for me when I first joined this forum, I just couldn't get the food-stuffs right.  These days, with the odd glitch (concentrating on megaprojects, for example) my big problem is not getting it stored fast enough and having rotting meals laying around in the kitchen.  (Which is why my kitchen, butchers and a couple of related workshops are often built in the open air, or usually at least down a shaft open to the outside.)

Bear with it, you'll get there.

Knowing how to dig down is something you hopefully now understand, but there's a whole lot of stuff out there to learn, and I still eschew some practical aspects of the game in favour of some kind of imagined aesthetics.

Make yourself familiar with the Wiki, as well as search the forums, and you should be able to find information on just about any question you have.  The only problem then is not knowing that you have to ask a particular question in the first place.
Truth is the only reason I even got to making the fort was thanks to the wiki. All my other attempts were slow games of me guessing how to make them do jobs and eventually abandoning the fort. I have like 10 forts to reclaim... even though they're just wagons.

Carrock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2011, 06:41:30 pm »

I suggest you familiarize yourself with the depths. Specifically, dig until you can't dig any more, then dig deeper through a vein of some shiny stuff.
You don't have to go that far some time. I ran into some in a cavern fairly early in the life of a recent fortress, and at that level there was a hole in the middle of it. I may have the same again, I've not dared to touch it.

Anathema

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2011, 06:42:54 pm »

Truth is the only reason I even got to making the fort was thanks to the wiki. All my other attempts were slow games of me guessing how to make them do jobs and eventually abandoning the fort. I have like 10 forts to reclaim... even though they're just wagons.

I apologize if this is too basic for you, but you may learn a few things from the old Complete and Utter Newby Tutorial for Dwarf Fortress. It was written for 40d (the older version of DF), but 40d really isn't that different from the newer DF2010 at least as far as basic stuff goes - almost everything you learn from the tutorial is the same in DF2010.

I definitely wouldn't be playing DF today without that tutorial, it turns DF's patented "learning cliff of doom" into a more typical "learning curve."
The good news is that ghosts die of old age.
Pages: [1] 2