Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Clutter in General  (Read 511 times)

rojiru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Clutter in General
« on: March 20, 2011, 02:23:09 pm »

Everything is sort of a mess aesthetically. Any chance for an official rework of menus for trade, embark, etc? A graphical overhaul by Toady would be appreciated as well.

Not for the reason you would think, that being that I hate ascii graphics, but more along the lines that I believe less burden of knowledge goes a long way toward an enjoyable experience. What I mean by "burden of knowledge" in this case is that objects, menus and dwarves are not clearly or easily defined simply by looking at them. Imagination and sub-menus for descriptions go a long way toward advancing the goal of spread imaginative processes, but when I look at the screen or when any new player looks at their fortress clearly and easily defined menus and objects/creatures are a must for a game that is fun to play.

Just my two cents.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
Re: Clutter in General
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 08:36:56 pm »

I would like clearer menus and expanded help too, but all things being equal I'd prefer that Toady use his game development time adding new features (Granted, however, that one (well, actually several) of the features that I've been pushing for on these message boards has been improved navigation within menus once you actually figure out how to get to them.) than expanding the in-game help or the asthetics of the menus.

Personally, what I think he should do in the case of the in-game help is for Toady to just directly copy and paste the text from Magmawiki articles for any major features not scheduled to be modified in the current development cycle into the in-game help menu, thus expanding the in-game help without using up a lot of his time. (Or the help screen should at least have some kind of link to Magmawiki or at least mention it and its web address)
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 02:22:46 pm »

If you think Dwarf Fortress is bad, go play Aurora.  Its a game played entirely from a system of menus (the only graphics I found were a map of the solar system and of the galaxy, both of which were near-useless).  Every menu option opened up a new GUI window with dozens of more buttons and menu options with the occasional combo box or selectable list.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 02:30:23 pm »

Google'd.  You try finding "Aurora" or "Aurora game" on google!

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 02:32:11 pm »

Google'd.  You try finding "Aurora" or "Aurora game" on google!

Link.
I'll admit I had a hard time finding it myself.