Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Odd embark  (Read 3201 times)

Bomepie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Odd embark
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2011, 02:49:43 pm »

Will you need more than just the region file from data/save ?
Megadorf™ A giant dwarf shaped dwarf fortress

The All Guardsmen Party

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2011, 02:54:07 pm »

You could still try a few things to redirect the river. Like digging under it or obsidianizing it.

The former could work with couple precautions - Since you can really only dig one ramp under the river before the water starts pouring in, make it fall several z-levels instead with the one right under the river covered in grates. Also, I think you still can (barely) keep the level the miners need to get to dig the ramps clear of water with pumps if you pump north into the crater.
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.
Ashes are technically fire-safe.

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2011, 02:57:46 pm »

Use a small bank of pumps straddled across the brook. Should keep the water out of the way long enough to damn it. Shouldn't be too demanding of a project, especially since it'll save you quite a bit of fps in the long run. And you generally want all the fps you can muster when doing mega-projects... especially if you plan to top your mega-dwarf. Good luck and can't wait to see what you build.

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2011, 03:03:12 pm »

Use a small bank of pumps straddled across the brook. Should keep the water out of the way long enough to damn it. Shouldn't be too demanding of a project, especially since it'll save you quite a bit of fps in the long run. And you generally want all the fps you can muster when doing mega-projects... especially if you plan to top your mega-dwarf. Good luck and can't wait to see what you build.
Not that simple. He said he has only 5 tiles of the river before it plummets down into the pit.

Another idea I can suggest is bridges... I mean, the dwarves build them from just one spot at the edge, right? You could build an aqueduct into the crater itself and finish it by catching the water water with a bridge instead of a floor.
Unless the falling water causes a job cancellation by submerging.
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2011, 03:08:58 pm »

Region file and world params+seed!

Bomepie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2011, 03:13:45 pm »

Here is the zipped region file, tell me if you guys need more to play around with this: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=4000

I'm currently ignoring the waterfall while I get a basecamp formed under the aquifers. In this version do you need to muddy clay or clay loam for it to be able to grow trees?

The All Guardsmen Party

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2011, 03:17:46 pm »

Not that simple. He said he has only 5 tiles of the river before it plummets down into the pit.

Another idea I can suggest is bridges... I mean, the dwarves build them from just one spot at the edge, right? You could build an aqueduct into the crater itself and finish it by catching the water water with a bridge instead of a floor.

It looks like he has enough room to pull the operation off. Anyways guess I'll grab the map and see if its possible to do with the space he has.

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2011, 03:28:27 pm »

It looks like he has enough room to pull the operation off. Anyways guess I'll grab the map and see if its possible to do with the space he has.
You need six squares between the edge and the building. At best he can pump in the direction the river is already going, but that could still be make digging ramps underneath the river viable, combined with some other tricks, if nothing else.

Bomepie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2011, 03:36:33 pm »

Heres the whole DF folder http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=4001 for people asking about seeds and worldgen files and stuff.

The All Guardsmen Party

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2011, 04:33:22 pm »

You need six squares between the edge and the building. At best he can pump in the direction the river is already going, but that could still be make digging ramps underneath the river viable, combined with some other tricks, if nothing else.

Not enough room.... pfft.

Top side of the dam. There was 2 windmills on top of those pumps.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Brook bed.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Every river damming project doesn't have to turn it back on itself, you only need to get the water out of the way long enough for the dwarves to do their jobs. And the pumps+bridge there basically skip the water right over the worksite.

Bomepie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2011, 04:42:14 pm »

While you're messing with that tap the aquifer in one of the shafts, that'll be good.

The All Guardsmen Party

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2011, 04:51:03 pm »

Hehe no thanks. Already exitted df. The fps I was getting on your map there was horrible. Just 7 dwarves and already getting 20 to 30. Thats what I get with mature forts, not ones just starting out... ouch.

Just did my proof and posted it for ya. I did use reveal on it before I quit, your map is glitched a bit. There is a lot of moving magma down there in the cavern, so just give that a quick thought before you get too far into your project. And there are several small cavern lakes completely incased in your smr layers. It looks like your caverns, magma sea, and smr have sort of merged.

Bomepie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2011, 05:14:12 pm »

You may be right about the fps problems. As much as I'd like to do cool things with these messed up pits I'm aiming for a 50ish pop construction oriented fortress with some gigantic tree farms. I imagine I'd end up with around 5 fps on this cratered map which would make tree farming near impossible.

The All Guardsmen Party

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2011, 05:17:47 pm »

Coincidentally, I noted something in the modding forums.  Someone has made a utility that generates pits with various specifications.  You could find a safe embark, and manually add a pit somewhere.

Bomepie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2011, 05:30:48 pm »

I tapped the aquifer. Extra fun was added by tapping it next to my main staircase. The pit didn't plug, at one end the magma was lower than the pit edge and the water started expanding through the cavernish areas sitting over the magma and wound up solidifying a good deal of the magma sea before the last of my dwarves wandered onto my flooded staircase and got flooded down to the magma sea. Fun embark though.

The All Guardsmen Party
Pages: 1 [2] 3