Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I want to be able to embark in the caverns  (Read 695 times)

Lord Zack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I want to be able to embark in the caverns
« on: March 20, 2011, 12:56:43 pm »

Dwarves, being a subterranean race, with great affinity for earth and stone, should be able to embark in the caverns and build a fortress from there. It would of course be a challenge, since the caverns are filled with dangerous creatures, but it would be entirely optional. Another challenge would be the fact that, unless you provide a tunnel to the surface, you would receive only dwarven caravans.

There would probably be limits on which caverns you can colonize, since certain caverns would have no access to the Mountainhomes, others would, but would be unknown to you're civ. I believe the Mountainhomes should have connections to the caverns (not all of them of course, though those that don't probably have nearby settlements that do. Some Mountainhomes should be entirely underground (especially the older ones, I think, since I think the dwarves should have originated in the caverns, but I am unaware of any official word on this) with no direct connection to the surface at all. I believe, in fact, that some dwarven civilizations should be entirely subterranean.

I'm wondering if there is any way to mod this into the game or will I just have to either tunnel into the caverns or embark near cave entrances if I want to build a fortress in the caverns until this idea, if it is implemented at all, makes it's way into the game?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 01:00:59 pm by Lord Zack »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: I want to be able to embark in the caverns
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 01:20:48 pm »

"You have discovered a vast overhead area with no ceiling!"  Shall we reverse it, and make the surface an unknown area?

This idea has merit, but I think the game is made to be played from the surface down.  Notice how it gets progressively harder and more interesting the lower you go, until you breach hell itself.

Hellmoob

• Bay Watcher
  • Exports: Terror
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 01:28:50 pm »

"You have discovered a vast overhead area with no ceiling!"

"Terrifying chirping echoes from the light above."

I like the idea, personally, but I can't see how you'd mod in the capability to embark in a cavern.
The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what we share with someone else when we're uncool.

Lord Zack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 01:30:27 pm »

Yeah, if you embarked in the caverns you shouldn't know whats on the surface until you dug a tunnel up there. The increased difficulty would be part of the fun. It's supposed to be a more challenging option.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2011, 01:36:02 pm »

"So I embarked in a cave.  I dug down and accidentally breached hell itself.  I dug up and discovered I'd embarked under some elves.  I quickly realized my folly, blocked my surface shaft, and went back down!"

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
  • My own avatar creeps me out.
    • View Profile
    • Not even internet famous
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2011, 04:01:51 pm »

I've been thinking about this quite a bit, because the time before time, I don't see how dwarfs survived on the surface.  Just seems, unnatural.
Slacker an illustrated story. Actually updated!?

Lord Zack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2011, 04:10:56 pm »

Is their any official word on the origins of the dwarves? It seems obvious to me that they originated in the caverns, but is that Toady's opinion as well?

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2011, 06:28:32 pm »

"You have discovered a vast overhead area with no ceiling!"  Shall we reverse it, and make the surface an unknown area?

This idea has merit, but I think the game is made to be played from the surface down.  Notice how it gets progressively harder and more interesting the lower you go, until you breach hell itself.

I agree. I'd like the capability to do this, but it shouldn't be the primary game mode.

My thought is to have it default to anormal aboveground embarks unless you embark on a mountain, and default to underground if you do embark in a mountain. (this would also mean the removal of some of the restrictions that, if I recall correctly, still ironically forbid embarks on entirely mountainous biomes)
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2011, 08:55:13 pm »

This would actually mix well with this suggestion
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2011, 04:55:17 am »

My dear young one. If thy mind has wondered off into the great uncertain, then seek wisdom from the toad one. Or just rant that its what the toad wants.