Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15

Author Topic: Random Creature Generator  (Read 53018 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Random Creature Generator
« Reply #195 on: March 24, 2011, 09:37:13 pm »

You can "do it nao" all you want.  I'm still going to get distracted by .22, Vindictus, and my garden.  And I'll probably also get distracted with the positively scathing reply I'll be making to your demands >:3

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: March 24, 2011, 09:45:27 pm »

I feel scathed... do you guys feel scathed?
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: March 24, 2011, 09:53:26 pm »

That wasn't scathing :P

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: March 24, 2011, 09:55:45 pm »

If by 'scathed' you mean that I was expecting a download link, but didn't get one, then yes, I feel 'scathed'.
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: March 24, 2011, 10:05:02 pm »

You can "do it nao" all you want.  I'm still going to get distracted by .22, Vindictus, and my garden.  And I'll probably also get distracted with the positively scathing reply I'll be making to your demands >:3
...  ???
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: March 24, 2011, 10:07:48 pm »

Either way...  I think I'm gonna get down to business and seriously work on this tomorrow, but I make no promises on my attention span.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: March 24, 2011, 10:35:44 pm »

Seriously, if you need help, this idea intrigues me so much I offer mild assistance... I say mild because I have no compiler but yet know how badly a missing ";" can screw you up, and how annoyingly easy it is to miss them.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: March 24, 2011, 10:40:54 pm »

Bloodshed Dev C++ is what I use, though I've recently become annoyed by the "helpful hints" it adds and I'm too lazy to turn them off.  "rand()I SEE YOU'RE TYPING THE SAME THING AS 20 SECONDS AGO!  LET ME OFFER THE SAME TOOLTIP!"

In all honesty though, I may need some help, mostly keeping me on track because I'm notorious for procrastinating.  I'm thinking of enlisting the aid of Sir Eric Blank because I'm in awe of his patience in dealing with arena mode and the various amounts of help that he's shared through this.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: March 25, 2011, 02:23:28 am »

Bloodshed Dev C++ is what I use, though I've recently become annoyed by the "helpful hints" it adds and I'm too lazy to turn them off.  "rand()I SEE YOU'RE TYPING THE SAME THING AS 20 SECONDS AGO!  LET ME OFFER THE SAME TOOLTIP!"
Did MS Bob end up in your IDE?!  :o  :P

In all honesty though, I may need some help, mostly keeping me on track because I'm notorious for procrastinating.  I'm thinking of enlisting the aid of Sir Eric Blank because I'm in awe of his patience in dealing with arena mode and the various amounts of help that he's shared through this.
What I find works well, since I also bog down on big tasks and end up taking longer than necessary, is to pick smaller chunks to focus on.  You know, the old "take a big problem and make it a bunch of smaller problems, and eventually it isn't a problem any more" method. ;)
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: March 25, 2011, 06:53:24 pm »

I suppose I could help test things, but that's about it... I actually have no patience and procrastinate/lose interest incredibly easily, there are dozens of things I've wanted to do and perhaps started on and left to collect dust. But I do enjoy watching elephants pommel each other with their tails and such. :P This will help me understand modding and creatures in DF better so I'm game.
Any update on your current progress?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: March 25, 2011, 08:22:26 pm »

Some kind of venom that increases weaknesses to other afflictions would be neat. Maybe animals with those effects could have a group relationship with other creatures that supplement them?
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: March 25, 2011, 09:01:59 pm »

That would be neat actually. You should post that somewhere in the suggestions section though, it isn't currently possible to make either venoms that directly reduce one's attributes or creatures of entirely different species that congregate together in packs. You could perform the second by giving a creature wildly varying castes though... That ought to be possible for this program to do, actually.

Caste structure variations:
Normal; two identical castes besides male/female variation and possible name variation.

Mono-caste; creature has one caste type. Harpies, satyrs, etc...

random differentiation; all members of same species but having the majority of attributes defined per-caste and having as few tags outside the caste definitions as possible. Would act similar to what DrKill's suggestion would in that they appear to be different species in the same group, even though that's impossible right now. I'm fairly certain this will work, as far as physical structure and diet goes ([GRAZER] can be split between castes, and one or more could have or lack it. Don't know about [BONECARN] or [CARNIVORE], or if the game currently permits silly things like a grazing bone-eating carnivore. :P Can't test eating habits easily in the arena at least.)

insect-hive variation; all castes similar, varying by the inclusion or removal of certain non-vital body parts and size differentiation, syndromes, flight/no flight. This would work best if the castes are each named separately and there's some code that assigns tasks (swampbeast queen, egg-layer, soldier, worker, drone, scout, tunneler, etc...) and ensures they have something that makes them more fit for that task. ie: scouts are small, fast, variations that aren't meant for actual fighting or work, maybe a larger view-range, workers/tunnelers would have more strength and ome grasping ability even though they're relatively small. Queens/kings(males are usually called drones) should have better mental attributes as they control all hive activities. Egg-layers/reproducers, if they aren't lumped in as a queen/king, would have no real changes, besides maybe being larger, and would have a greater-than-average [LITTER_SIZE]. Soldiers/warriors of course have better physical attributes and may be venomous/spray poison globs. Queens/Kings should be much rarer.

You could then assign genders to the castes, ensuring that a species has at least one male and one female caste. (I don't think they can ever be both though, so mono-caste creatures can only have one gender.) It can choose one more time to decide if each caste-type will have a male and female copy, if the gender will be assigned randomly for each caste with only one copy -including/excluding no-gender castes-, or if any more castes will receive genders after the first male/female castes.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: March 25, 2011, 09:23:00 pm »

It'll require quite a bit of monkeying around with the code to make sure that all the creatures this ends up spitting out are actually viable species that can survive, especially if you're messing around with different caste types

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: March 25, 2011, 09:31:13 pm »

I'm sure that won't be difficult. Just ensure that tags are always placed in the right order and that necessary tags exist.
Maybe if you assigned it a table and numbered the placement of each tag you could have it align them properly in the text file after it's been generated? I guess it would need to be subdivided for castes though...

Jetex, when I tried it, it created a .txt file. It just requires one button press, creates the creature and puts it in a text file, and closes itself. look for creature_dragonoid.txt in the same folder as it.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 09:42:36 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!

jetex1911

• Bay Watcher
  • [MAXAGE:∞]
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: March 25, 2011, 09:33:16 pm »

I was looking at this thread, snad i think i can't wait for when Hat finishes this. also, i tried the dragonoid generator, but when it asks me to push a button, it just closes when i comply.
Put into this light, Dr. Robotnik and Armok could easily have been roommates.

Known as That_Kobold on BYOND
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15