Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 15

Author Topic: Random Creature Generator  (Read 53047 times)

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
Re: Random Creature Generator
« Reply #150 on: March 23, 2011, 12:25:29 pm »

This is a Random Creature generator. Come on, let Girlinhat focus on getting the main bit done before adding extras.
Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: March 23, 2011, 12:31:15 pm »

Oh, I need to let you know, in case you're not already aware.
When defining a body, you need to have it generate in order of structure.
You cannot, therefore, add a mouth before a head, or a head before a body.

Edit: Girlinhat, a lot of the modders hang out in IRC. Feel free to ask any questions in there. Deon and myself can be found there, at various times of day.

kurokikaze

• Bay Watcher
  • Man of the black wind
    • View Profile
    • Mechanical World
« Reply #152 on: March 23, 2011, 01:12:23 pm »

I've made Spore to DF creature convertor a while ago. Not sure if it will work now.
It's black as pitch 'cause we're trapped by our violent souls
In a deep mine, where deep rhymes won't keep my self-control
Too many foes, we feel snakebit, and we won't take it
Enemies need their face hit, we goin' ape shit!

Soapalope

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Soaper
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 23, 2011, 01:22:31 pm »

Know what I just reealised?

FB are a lot like Warhammer Chaos Spawn.
FB: I was thinking Facebook. Oh well, I guess killing a Forgotten Beast is cool too.
Note to self: Devise methods of dropping Liaisons down pits during meetings. Yell, "THIS IS SPAARRTAAAAA..." at my monitor.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: March 23, 2011, 01:23:52 pm »

Edit: Girlinhat, a lot of the modders hang out in IRC. Feel free to ask any questions in there. Deon and myself can be found there, at various times of day.
Noted, but I don't so much need modding help as creative help.  I'm fairly able to mod in all I want, but I can't think of everything.  So, the namely dwarven masses are given a chance to voice the desire for something they cannot create themselves.  That's all you guys, btw.

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 23, 2011, 01:27:29 pm »

Noted, but I don't so much need modding help as creative help.  I'm fairly able to mod in all I want, but I can't think of everything.  So, the namely dwarven masses are given a chance to voice the desire for something they cannot create themselves.  That's all you guys, btw.

I was mainly suggesting it because mod-creators are well-versed with the RAWs and tend to be quite creative with them.

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: March 23, 2011, 01:28:02 pm »

As another suggestion for you, don't forget to have NATURAL_SKILL assignments.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: March 23, 2011, 01:38:20 pm »

Already noted, although I didn't mention it.  Natural biting, wrestling, and dodge skill will be the most used.  Also attributes likes agility and toughness.

Urist McGyver

• Bay Watcher
  • I love Roc Birds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: March 23, 2011, 01:41:03 pm »

Can different part of one's body be of different materials? Like a humanoid copper creature with arms of FLAME_TEMPLATE and a sindrome-inducing web? :P
It's treated as completely normal because this is Dwarf Fortress.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with surrounding yourself with a wall of flames, only to later realize that you're surrounded by a wall of flames.
There's nothing that can't be solved by hurling fifteen roc birds at it.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: March 23, 2011, 01:45:31 pm »

Yes.

Urist McGyver

• Bay Watcher
  • I love Roc Birds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: March 23, 2011, 01:55:02 pm »

That would be cool. Of course, a flesh-headed creature with a steel torso would be too much Geth of the Vault from Magic, but a composite golem of Copper, Bismuth, Iron, Silver, etc would be awesome.

By the way is this an actual software(third party), or is it .txt files to mld DF?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 01:57:54 pm by Urist McGyver »
It's treated as completely normal because this is Dwarf Fortress.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with surrounding yourself with a wall of flames, only to later realize that you're surrounded by a wall of flames.
There's nothing that can't be solved by hurling fifteen roc birds at it.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: March 23, 2011, 02:03:27 pm »

I've made Spore to DF creature convertor a while ago. Not sure if it will work now.

wha?! thats awesome, i need some more info on that

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: March 23, 2011, 02:04:04 pm »

For the different body forms, I can see a number of options.  You've probably already thought of them, but in case you missed some of these ... ;)

walks on some limbs (human, ape, centaur, etc)
walks on all limbs (dog, horse, spider, crab, etc)
"walks" on no limbs (snail, snake, etc)

I would suggest including wings (if present) in that since things like pteranodon are thought to have "walked" on their wing wrists/knuckles, as well as their feet when on the ground (like if apes' upper arms were wings).

Once the above check is done it can determine how many limbs the beasty has, and which are for locomotion and which are for other (striking and grasping, flailing uselessly at anything that gets close enough, little nubs that can grasp but not strike, etc).

And I like the order in which you are determining the aspects of each beasty.  From the sounds of it you appear to be trying to go from general ("it lives in a <biom>") to moderate detail ("it has N legs, and is (peaceful|wary|agressive|terrifying)") to specifics ("it has (skin|scales|feathers|thick hide|etc) and (hands|paws|hooves|claws|tentacles) at the end of its (arms|legs|wings|body)").
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: March 23, 2011, 02:27:04 pm »

.txt files to mld - I have no idea.  It's a C++ program that creates a .txt file in raw format.  The program contains all the needed tokens and things, and compiles it into a raw.

Krenshala - Check the first page, there's a list of all the things planned.  I've forgotten to add some things that were mentioned in the thread, so some are lacking and I'm too lazy to look back for all I missed.  And the actual order is biome, body placement (snake, spider, humanoid, etc), behavior (aggressive, flighty, etc), specific limbs (a spider could be walking on 8 thin claws instead of spindly feet, and a humanoid could have hooves for feet), specific tissues based on biome, aggro, and body (spiders shouldn't have thick fur normally, aggressive shrubland creatures should have tusks, anything arctic should have thick blubber), and then flavor parts like frills, coloration, decorative tail like a monkey, and other non-functional or semi-functional parts.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: March 23, 2011, 02:41:38 pm »

But furry spiders do exist! Look at the tarantula for example! Also, a giant arctic spider with modified bristles that hold in heat isn't that farfetched of an idea (if you can get over the giant spider bit)
I like fortresses because they are still underground.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 15