Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15

Author Topic: Random Creature Generator  (Read 53069 times)

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
Re: Random Creature Generator
« Reply #75 on: March 21, 2011, 01:00:35 pm »

Spiders that spin webs that cause random syndromes on touch, with no syndromes on bite.
For the last time:
Girlinhat IS MAKING A CREATURE GENERATOR! NOT A MOD!

All right then, a random creature that can spin syndrome inducing webs. Instead of just complaining, try to correct and/or add something, else your comment is not only annoying, but also utterly useless.

I've made suggestions. Don't say that I haven't.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 21, 2011, 01:01:08 pm »

*slaps ruler on the desk*
Children!  Let's not be fighting!

Urist McGyver

• Bay Watcher
  • I love Roc Birds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 21, 2011, 01:06:07 pm »

*slaps ruler on the desk*
Children!  Let's not be fighting!
I'm not picking a fight. I'm just giving out random ideas so you can cage and dissect them.
It's treated as completely normal because this is Dwarf Fortress.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with surrounding yourself with a wall of flames, only to later realize that you're surrounded by a wall of flames.
There's nothing that can't be solved by hurling fifteen roc birds at it.

SombreNote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 21, 2011, 01:53:25 pm »

I was just trying to point out that FB behavior is just as interesting (or even more so), then the physical features of the FB.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 21, 2011, 01:57:17 pm »

Agreed, but, many of the more "interesting" things are common wildlife, like bears guzzling beer, macaque stealing socks, and zombies who show no fear.  Just imagine a beer-guzzling beast that is driven into your fort, and shows no fear, no feigning to run when faced by a dwarf or guard dog.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 21, 2011, 02:02:01 pm »

If you make a creature with a cold body temperature, does it make it's surroundings cold?

If so, could you make a spider that lays exploding webs? (Combustion point at body temperature of normal creature)?
Soaplent green is goblins!

Urist McGyver

• Bay Watcher
  • I love Roc Birds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 21, 2011, 02:07:45 pm »

!!Urist Mcweaver!! cancels Collect Webs job:
It's treated as completely normal because this is Dwarf Fortress.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with surrounding yourself with a wall of flames, only to later realize that you're surrounded by a wall of flames.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 21, 2011, 02:12:15 pm »

I think only certain FB made of magma will do that.  Common creatures don't release heat, although any material that pierces a body, such as a bolt that gets lodged, will assume body temperature.  Some players have made explosive arrows that ignite at body temperature, so any "and it lodges firmly in the wound!" will cause it to catch flame.  I wonder, if a creature can be given explosive fangs?  This needs !!Science!!

Urist McGyver

• Bay Watcher
  • I love Roc Birds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 21, 2011, 02:15:41 pm »

If the creature is given fangs that ignite at body temperature, won't that cause the said creature to burst into flames as well?

Also, can webs burst into flames if a creature touches it?

Pitty I can't play DF here. Else I would apply some !!Science!! for the good of dwarfkind :-\

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 21, 2011, 02:16:57 pm »

Not if the creature itself is given a lower body temperature.

I don't -think- that webs can ignite like that, but they should be able to spread a contact poison.

arzzult

• Bay Watcher
  • This statement is false.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 21, 2011, 05:21:27 pm »

How about bony nobs/plates that cover parts of the body? Like armadillos (though I guess you could do that with a shell) or the bony nobs crocs have mixed in with their scales.
I just realized two things. 1. For the Win and F___ the World have the same initials. 2. They have the same meaning in Dwarf Fortress.

NotPete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 21, 2011, 05:53:51 pm »

Well this looks awesome.
You could have the program decide what biome the creature is going into before it actually makes the creature and have it adjust the percentages for certain traits (fat, scales, etc.) by what biome it picks. It would be a lot more programming, but it would be much easier than creating the creature than deciding what biome it belongs in.
If you do create the creature first and decide biome second, though, you could give each trait "weight" and have that weight add on to  a variable that effects a random roll on what biome it will go in. The higher the number is, the colder it is.
For example, lets say that having high fat has a weight of +5 and scales -2. A fat scaly creature would get a +3 weight. The random number generator would generate a number between 1 and 20 (4? sure why not). The +3 would be added to that number, and you would end up with a 7. Thats a pretty low number, so it would probably be a tropical rain forest or something like that. Of course you can screw with the numbers however you want.
You should also give some thought on how you'll do the names and the symbols. The symbols should be easy, but I don't know if you'll be able to import the word file, like the random plant generator guy.
Lastly, can you make some creatures sentient? Like the tiger-men or something like that. It would have to be really rare.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 21, 2011, 06:27:58 pm »

Looks like you're missing lateral features.   Like One horn on the head ala the Rhino (also Three horns).

Dorsal extremities.  You could make fins, sails, possibly even striking weapons for the demon version.

Differing materials for the underbellies of beasts?
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 21, 2011, 06:56:29 pm »

NotPete's long post - I'm doing biome first, and assigning traits based on that with re-rolls.  I've got biomes grouped according to temperature and type, like hot forests and temperate wetlands.  If it gets a tropical shrubland, then it will pick from scales, skin, and fur.  Since it's a hot biome, then if it lands "fur" it'll re-roll, making fur less likely but not impossible.  It re-rolls a lot of things based on two traits.  1) Biome, determines size, fat thickness, materials used like scale and fur, and certain parts like tusks are more common for shrublands and forests.  2) Aggressiveness, determines certain parts like horns for combat and less likely to have tusks, and wings are less likely for aggressive creatures.  Because of this, animals are currently split into ~8 categories, based on biome group (no lake/ocean/rivers yet) and on aggro, but each category can vary wildly.

I've also go NO IDEA how to handle names!  Right now the plan is to make a list of consonants and vowels, and to assign vowel-con-vowel-con-vowel.  Urina and Afiko would fit.

Sentient creatures are very possible, I'm thinking that they'll be 1/3-1/4 of the time, and they'll be [CAN_SPEAK][CAN_LEARN] with [NO_EAT][NO_DRINK] added.  To make them actually seem a bit intelligent, they'll be more likely to have [BUILDING_DESTROYER:1] for wooden doors and windows, and more likely to be beer thieves and such.

Underbellies - That's not really possible.  I think it would be with some effort, but not really.  To be perfectly honest, creatures in DF are a series of spheres attached to each other, with each sphere having layers like the earth's crust and junk shoved inside, like brains and livers and ribs.  There's some vague idea of direction with left/right arms, which mostly helps determine gauntlet use I think, but it's supposed to help in wrestling and surprise attacks?  There's not a good way to define an underbelly though.  That being said, you can paint a false underbelly, by defining a body part named "underbelly" and then giving it an appearance, so you can have "she is red, her underbelly is white" but the underbelly wouldn't really be there.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 21, 2011, 07:21:10 pm »

Urina

please don't let that be possible!

for name you could have some more exotic letter combinations thrown into the generator, things like th, ph, etc. perhaps a rare chance to omit a consonant or vowel so words like urna or uria could be possible. also, i'm assuming it'll output words of varying lengths, right? cuz the examples you gave were all 5 letters long
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15