Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15

Author Topic: Random Creature Generator  (Read 53046 times)

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
Re: Random Creature Generator
« Reply #60 on: March 21, 2011, 11:00:01 am »

Also: Pneumatic creatures.
Sounds rather mechanical to me...

It's not exactly the kind of pneumatics you find in heavy machinery, but the same basic ideas (fluid pressure being used to articulate bits and pieces, etc.)

Urist McGyver

• Bay Watcher
  • I love Roc Birds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 21, 2011, 11:04:59 am »

From the dragon make the draconian, a giant-sized humanoid that has fire-breath and magma immunity(with green scales etc). Then make draconian packs roam the world like wolf packs, etc. Make a Cave Draconian with the same properties of the Cave Dragon adapted to the Draconian creature.(in this case, it would live in tribes like the trogs and similar creatures).

Also took that from DCSS. Let me see what else...
That doesn't sound very random, does it?

Then make them like the Githyanki from D&D. Half Dragon, Half Man. Sometimes with wings, sometimes not. Same with tail, claws/nails, razor shart teeth/boring human square teeth, steel-like scales/skin, etc. Always giant-sized.

EDIT: Or port the Githyanki from D&D altogether.
It's treated as completely normal because this is Dwarf Fortress.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with surrounding yourself with a wall of flames, only to later realize that you're surrounded by a wall of flames.
There's nothing that can't be solved by hurling fifteen roc birds at it.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 21, 2011, 11:07:56 am »

From the dragon make the draconian, a giant-sized humanoid that has fire-breath and magma immunity(with green scales etc). Then make draconian packs roam the world like wolf packs, etc. Make a Cave Draconian with the same properties of the Cave Dragon adapted to the Draconian creature.(in this case, it would live in tribes like the trogs and similar creatures).

Also took that from DCSS. Let me see what else...
That doesn't sound very random, does it?

Then make them like the Githyanki from D&D. Half Dragon, Half Man. Sometimes with wings, sometimes not. Same with tail, claws/nails, razor shart teeth/boring human square teeth, steel-like scales/skin, etc. Always giant-sized.

EDIT: Or port the Githyanki from D&D altogether.

*facepalm*

Do you even know what the program she's working on is for?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 21, 2011, 11:19:50 am »

Pneumatics - Maybe for tentacle limbs, but I'm not entirely sure how to make that function really.  I'll see what I can do, but it'd definitely be for tentacles in oceans and lakes.

DnD Remake - If I make you a pseudo-random dragon generator will you be quiet?

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 21, 2011, 11:23:33 am »

Pneumatics - Maybe for tentacle limbs, but I'm not entirely sure how to make that function really.  I'll see what I can do, but it'd definitely be for tentacles in oceans and lakes.

The raws for cave floaters provide an example of how to make a non-solid tissue. Just use that, only instead of a gas, make it a liquid by default, and make the fluid a muscular tissue. Sure, the game treats it like a muscle (Minus the butchering stuffs), but it serves the purpose of a pnuematic fluid. I actually just contributed something to the Gensis mod that uses that exact concept.

Urist McGyver

• Bay Watcher
  • I love Roc Birds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 21, 2011, 11:32:37 am »

All right then. Does a creature die at the moment a fatal brain injury occurs? What about if the creature has more than one brain? Would it be possibe to link nerves of individual limbs to individual brains that would sease to function when the brain is damaged?

Like an x headed black spawn(which is the only think I can think of in this setting aside from characters from Monster Inc.) with bodies linked by the waist, each head with 2 arms and a torso, and 6 legs regardless of heads.
It's treated as completely normal because this is Dwarf Fortress.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with surrounding yourself with a wall of flames, only to later realize that you're surrounded by a wall of flames.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 21, 2011, 11:35:13 am »

All right then. Does a creature die at the moment a fatal brain injury occurs? What about if the creature has more than one brain? Would it be possibe to link nerves of individual limbs to individual brains that would sease to function when the brain is damaged?

Like an x headed black spawn(which is the only think I can think of in this setting asside from characters from Monster Inc.) with bodies linked by the waist, each head with 2 arms and a torso, and 6 legs regardless of heads.

I dunno whether that would work. I once tried making a creature with a recursive brain (essentially a clockpunk robot with a bunch of cogs in its head.), each 'brain' having two more branching off of it (Up until I got tired of adding them. I think I added three or four tiers...). But, it crashed DF.

Also: Wouldn't this topic belong in DF Modding?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 21, 2011, 11:51:20 am »

Multiple brains adds multiple centers, each of which controls the entire body.  See: Hydra.  Cut off 6 heads, it stills rips you up.  Or, it could be Bronze Colossus style, which has no thought center and no brain, making them more difficult to kill.

I had the start of a thread in modding, but no one responded to it, and this seems very popular over here anyways.

SombreNote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 21, 2011, 12:22:01 pm »

I would love to see some custom behaviors too.

Booze Ravenous:

Like for example, you get a forgotten beast that is not initially hostile. He will break down your doors but is not interested in attacking dwarves per say. When it announced he is an extremely quick foe, that your dwarves will have a hard time attacking. But the FB has a weird behavior. His ONLY goal is to drink all your booze! He will break in to your fort, and scare the shit out of your dwarves by preceding directly to you alcohol stash and raid every last drop it can find. Left long enough, he will work his way through your whole stash, but there is a catch!

The more he drinks, the weaker he gets. In the beginning he has a ridiculously high dodge, but after about 200 drinks, it is dropped to half that, and your dwarves might be able to pick him off then. Of course if they try to kill him to soon, the FB will be hostile all the time, and it will slow the speed at which he drinks, and he will kill whatever dwarf wonders by.

Food Ravenous:

Same thing for with food.

Egg Laying:

A FB that will wonder into your base and lay eggs of badies all over the place. His presence is announced in the beginning, but after that he is invisible unless spotted, and so are the eggs.

Doppelganger:

Two ways this could go down. The doppelganger comings in with a migration wave, or it just pops in one day like an ambush. The Doppelgangers will disguise himself as a dwarve, and your will have never seen or heard of him. His goal is to steal artifacts (or the most expensive things you own), and he does not really desire to kill dwarves unless they are carrying the thing he wants. You will instantly be able to notice he is not right, when you try to V him, but most people will never notice.

He might even have to goal of sowing discontent in your base (presumably being paid a great deal of money to do so by someone who hates you). He might kill the mayer's pets, sneakily to make him miserable, and he might say really mean things to dwarves who are already not in a good mood. He might even lock doors from time to time.

Poltergeist:

This is like the normal bad spirits in the game but far far worse. More like peeves from harry potter. He can go through your walls, and is not effected by traps, and spends most of his time throwing things about. He might even posses someone every once in while, and make them start a fight. One way you might be able kill him is by ringing him with a filled stockpile of the item he hates (such as plimphelment seeds for instince), which will causes him to become miscible, and disappear for good.

Madness:

A FB that can make dwarves go made for a set time period, and run away. This is horrible for some military because a bunch of them might run off while you are trying to get them to fight. Dwarves that get caught with madness might have other benefits after the fact, like greater mental toughness. Madness monsters could have minions with them, that just reek haviock while your dwarves are trying to figure out what to do.

Water monster:

A monster that can summon, or exude water. This might making the ability to swim MUCH more important. The monster will walk around, fulling up stuff with water, and if he gets into your base, he might totally fill rooms with water that he is fighting in. He could even use jets of water as a weapon to knock dwarves back.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 21, 2011, 12:24:06 pm »

@sombrenote: Not possible. The booze-guzzling is, but not the getting weaker bit of your suggestion.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 21, 2011, 12:47:17 pm »

Only the food and booze ideas are possible, but not the getting weaker part.  There's just some things that cannot be included yet!  Also keep in mind, these are no FB, they're considered generic wildlife.

Urist McGyver

• Bay Watcher
  • I love Roc Birds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 21, 2011, 12:50:15 pm »

Spiders that spin webs that cause random syndromes on touch, with no syndromes on bite.

"Urist McWeaver has been stuck in a Acid Spider's web!"
"Urist McWeaver has interrupted Colect Webs job: Disolving"
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 12:55:38 pm by Urist McGyver »

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 21, 2011, 12:51:09 pm »

Spiders that spin webs that cause random syndromes on touch, with no syndromes on bite.
For the last time:
Girlinhat IS MAKING A CREATURE GENERATOR! NOT A MOD!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 21, 2011, 12:56:42 pm »

Actually, that's not a bad idea.  Vicious cave, desert, or mountain spiders may lay "land mines".  Instead of staying at their web and waiting for food, they just spray some web and run between them, checking if any contain dead animals.  Not sure if I want it in this particular version of the generator, but it's a very good idea that I'm certain to add somewhere else.

Urist McGyver

• Bay Watcher
  • I love Roc Birds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 21, 2011, 12:59:35 pm »

For the last time:
Girlinhat IS MAKING A CREATURE GENERATOR! NOT A MOD!

All right then, (EDIT) syndrome inducing webs as an element of creature creation. Instead of just complaining, try to correct and/or add something, else your comment is not only annoying, but also utterly useless.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 01:12:53 pm by Urist McGyver »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15