Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 15

Author Topic: Random Creature Generator  (Read 53043 times)

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
Re: Random Creature Generator
« Reply #120 on: March 23, 2011, 07:54:28 am »

Also:

I have to say, this is going to be great for a total conversion mod centered around colonizing a garden world in another solar system. I am happy and excited for its release.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 23, 2011, 08:08:46 am »

Descriptions will be fairly descriptive, since there's no comparison to existing creatures.  We all know bears are dangerous and chickens aren't (debatable, but still).  Voracious Cave Crawlers and Elk Birds are two things that occur to me have no comparison, and thus their danger level is hard to judge.  But, given the hardiness of the player base, who turns down Giants with two copper-clad soldiers and throws titans into gladiator pits, a creature like a blind cave ogre will be listed as "Dangerous to Civilians" while a proper-sized demon, and there will be HFS levels of powerful creatures, will be "Extremely Dangerous".  Let's face it, we've all faced a demon made of steam that poofs, or even some sort of toad demon that isn't that tough.  I'm talking about bronze-skinned creatures with stone organs and NO_FEAR NO_EXERT.  Wildlife isn't a good challenge to players after a bit of playing, and some of these creatures will try and revive that challenge.  Others will be rather placid or unicorn-like.  You'll have to pay attention to their color descriptions though.  If its description says "It is very dangerous" it means it's large and aggressive, and if it has a color modifier for "Its claws are teal and hard as iron" then it's best to face it cautiously.

To summarize, there will be good descriptions, and it won't be as vague as "It is dangerous".  If you pay attention you can figure out "It is enormous" + "It is aggressive" + "It has large claws" = Fun!

Urist McGyver

• Bay Watcher
  • I love Roc Birds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 23, 2011, 08:37:14 am »

There's none, 1, 2, 4, and 6 eye options, this will be enough.  Keep in mind that a creature with no eyes is blind.  Try going into the arena, making a blind creature, and assuming direct control.  It's tricky!

Will add horns, fine!

Names will happen last and very sloppily.  Urina, here we come!

In portuguese(possibly spanish, I don't know), Urina means urine.
It's treated as completely normal because this is Dwarf Fortress.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with surrounding yourself with a wall of flames, only to later realize that you're surrounded by a wall of flames.
There's nothing that can't be solved by hurling fifteen roc birds at it.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 23, 2011, 08:38:30 am »

This has been pointed out, and is hilarious and I don't care.  I don't do good with names!  This is why every time I write a story, I accidentally name the main character Jason.

Urist McGyver

• Bay Watcher
  • I love Roc Birds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 23, 2011, 08:40:38 am »

How about immolation? A flamming creature that's not actually composed of fire.
It's treated as completely normal because this is Dwarf Fortress.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with surrounding yourself with a wall of flames, only to later realize that you're surrounded by a wall of flames.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: March 23, 2011, 08:44:29 am »

There's a "fire" template that isn't fire.  I'll need to look at what it does to figure, well, what it does, except it's really not fire.

Urist McGyver

• Bay Watcher
  • I love Roc Birds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 23, 2011, 08:45:42 am »

Are Spirits of Fire composed of fire? I can't remember now...

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 23, 2011, 08:48:23 am »

They're made of FLAME_TEMPLATE, most likely, I haven't peeked at the raw for "spirit of fire" or know where to look for that.
Spoiler: FLAME_TEMPLATE (click to show/hide)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 23, 2011, 08:51:12 am »

Spirits of Fire haven't existed since 40d.

One thing to note about FLAME_TEMPLATE is that as it's always in a gaseous state, it can't actually hit (or be hit) with any force. However, with each attack made, some of the tissue will be forced off the creature (so fire men effectively "throw" bursts of themselves by punching things, but the punches have no direct effect. This applies to attacks against the creature as well). The best probable course of action is to make flame layers only show up in an extraneous form.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 08:54:32 am by 3 »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 23, 2011, 09:02:21 am »

I actually have no idea.  I've got a 40d save, and looked up Spirit of Fire, but 40d doesn't have a material template, so I have no idea what it's composed of, or how it manages to be made of gas, unless it has hard-coded behavior...

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 23, 2011, 09:10:19 am »

It's not made of gas. My spiel was regarding the FLAME_TEMPLATE; nothing at all to do with 40d. 40d operated on an entirely different system to .31 (creatures were either made out of a specific metal or STANDARD_MATERIALS; some of what are now considered material properties could be modified at the creature level, such as ignition point and density; the reason the SoF is on fire is because its FIXED_TEMP is higher than its IGNITE_POINT).

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 23, 2011, 09:14:48 am »

Regardless, I'll need some input on making a flame creature, or I'll need some free time when I don't feel like playing or coding.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 23, 2011, 09:16:00 am »

What about creatures that spit/spray high-temperature liquids, like bombardier beetles?

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 23, 2011, 09:16:45 am »

"Horns are 2 or 4." No unicorns?
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 23, 2011, 09:18:04 am »

I'm adding 1 and 3 horns already, jeeze D:
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 15