Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Give Pingo a purpose!  (Read 2442 times)

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
Give Pingo a purpose!
« on: March 20, 2011, 07:27:17 am »

Once upon a time, late summer in 2009 i guess, i was at my fathers work, with him, Siemens.
He told me that i could run out in their little depot/W/E. and find working PC's/Servers, i found two, and alot of hardware(it was from 2003 or so, old so no gaming here, my friend :) ), i tried to stuff the best i could find in, two crappy cards, i did not know it supported different kinds of RAM cards, i could proably have it on 512 MB if i knew, now. I decided to give it a nickname, Pingo, because one of my first thought was "hey lets install linux on it wee", and then Pingo was born. At the end of the day my father came in, and he saw one of the servers i found, not Pingo, the other, nameless one wich i couldnt access due to not knowing the password. He said we could keep em, then we went home, for a long time it just stood there, unplugged, but then my father threw some cables at me, wich i used with the computer, now it worked completely fine, i plugged it into my TV's RBG and began tapping off(no not that way). Since then, i have had it on at random, i used it as a Return to Blockland/The orange block (free standalone mod of Blockland) server at a LAN party i hosted once.. i even tried to run a Minecraft server on it, but its too slow. Now i am here, just figured out how to do a Remote Desktop Connection, hopped on, now i dont have to switch input all the time when playing with it. Enough with the story, now spec, and questions.

Specifications:

Windows Server 2003
398 Mhz Pentium II
384 MB ram (my father found some chips, its a improvement from 200 something.. )
Uhh.. nothing much else.

First, what would be a good Linux for this server?
Then, what could i use it for, wich has nothing to do with anything outside my local network(no game servers, web servers etc.)

I already know what i could use it for if it had linux, linux nerdyness, i just love sitting there, looking important, while just doing some VIM while playing Nethack or something..
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 08:20:23 am by DrPoo »
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
Re: Give Pingo a purpose!
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 07:30:38 am »

You could use it as a NAS (Network-attached storage) type thing, and as a dedicated torrenting machine.

I've heard good things about Arch, and there's some other stuff. I don't think you can do much with that kind of hardware, though.

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 07:53:02 am »

I don't think you can do much with that kind of hardware, though.

Not with todays Graphic intensive hardware O/ (raises teacher stick, you know the one they use to show stuff on the chalkboard)
But with low end, text based etc, i can do alot! Else elite was never born.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 08:01:40 am »

You could always, you know, hook it up with a dynamic DNS server and/or static public IP and make it a home web server with Apache, PHP & MySQL. If you do that, though, don't forget to set up FTP on it so you can access and edit the files from anywhere.

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2011, 08:19:08 am »

I cant do anything outside the network, i said. My father "dun wan dem ratz in ma network, son" and configured the router so i cant do anything like servers(of course can i run server software, just not local), and no one outside can access our network, unless they are very good at it. Its because of the time when my brother lived here, he always played counter-strike, spoke very high with his fresh man voice into the mic, shit at night o' clock, and at day he ran servers he didnt even attend, wich ate the bandwidth so much that everyone else couldnt play, dad got angry and told him to stop, he didnt obey, and now we got a near idiot safe network(no filters or anything, we just cant run servers :P) My bro was a dong anyway.

That means any outgoing traffic, no.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2011, 08:26:39 am »

Oh, well that just stinks. I guess you could still always set it up as a LAN webserver sandbox in addition to whatever else you end up doing with it. So that you could, you know, practice website design and web scripting and so such, and then if you ever did get a website you could pull whatever you wanted off of there. I did that a long time before I figured out how to get WAN access to my home server (which is not possible in your situation of course). Really helped me out with my on-off job. You'd have to access it by its LAN IP, though.

Alternatively, you could always just use it as a fancy screensaver.

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2011, 10:52:10 am »

Thanks man :D
More! More! my hunger for crazy non destructive ideas is a negative digit! Keep incrementing it!

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2011, 10:58:25 am »

my hunger for crazy non destructive ideas is a negative digit! Keep incrementing it!

Does that mean you're more than satiated?

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2011, 11:16:43 am »

No, you will increment, and a increment on a negative number is -1, infact you blew a infinite hole in my stomach of desires!

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2011, 11:46:26 am »

Spoiler: Off-Topic (click to show/hide)

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2011, 12:49:23 pm »

The question you really need to ask yourself is, what do you need a server to do?

lordnincompoop suggested that you use it for storage, it's not a bad idea, but I think it can do more.
SVN is a good use for machines like that, though. ...Of course, if you're not making anything like a program or game or anything, you might not get too much use out of an SVN server.
So, if Storage, Torrent host, and SVN aren't good for your situation, there's always dedicated music machine. :P

So yeah, there are a million things you could get that box to do, you just need to find a task that you want done.
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2011, 01:23:55 pm »

Wanna know what? FUCK DAMN SMALL LINUX AND LINUX IN GENERAL
I have been wrestling with that shitpile of code all noon and most of night, i just wanted to see if i could do a Remote Desktop from Windows to it because i hate shifting input all the time, google is the most retarded crap on earth and only wanted to find "RDC to windows from DSL" instead of what i actually searched for. Then i thought i could Telnet to this shitpile of a operating system, i finally after a freaking half hour of searching a tutorial to setting up telnet access on DSL, then i went ragequit because i couldnt make Telnet start because of the retarded philosophy of that damn fatass and his small "old computer friendly" linux, and his retarded abstraction of a super user. Then i went SAASIDJSOSJragequit and closed all windows, when i finally halted moving the mouse to the shutdown icon when i gathered patience enough to find a root access tutorial, i found one, and finally incompetent google came up with a tutorial that was right among all the other COMPLETELY FUCKING UNRELATED results. Then google decided to be the worst fucktwit next to that guy that would write PENIS on your toilet wall when your hosting a party then go hope and wank off to hentai, it didnt want to find the telnet tutorial again. I wrestled a few more hours with google and the despicable layout of X, and now i am here, with completely burnt out eyes, a hurting spine, a ruined mood and alot of my life spilt on RETARDED LAYOUTS, im dissy like shit and i can barely keep my fucking head up.

Fuck linux, google, and other terminally stupid entities on the internet. Im so angry..

Well i guess that's it, im going back to WinServ03 :P fucking tongue, and no, not because of this is a joke, ITS EXHAUSTION AND SENSORY OVERWHELMING CAUSED BY COMPLETELY UNNECCESARY FUCKING ISSUES ON A RETARDED LINUX DISTRO. FUCK ILL DO IT AGAIN :P

Sorry for swearing, i hope you understand my emotional rage caused by sickness and STRESS.
WTF DID GOD THINK WHEN HE MADE STRESS FOR US? EVEN ARMOK IS KINDER THAN HIM!
*incomphrensible speech and screaming

Related video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11ucbrzxkls
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 01:34:36 pm by DrPoo »

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2011, 01:29:05 pm »

I couldn't even read your last post but attempting to was so funny that I'm giving you an invisible rep. But anyway what the heck man running Damn Small Linux? I ran Ubuntu 9.04 mostly smoothly on a computer was 256 MB of RAM and a 1 GHz CPU. Get a more mainstream distro (maybe not necessarily say Ubuntu), I weep for your computer if you try to use WinSever2k3. But it's worth a shot I guess.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2011, 01:30:26 pm »

Ok back to the linux..... You can try using puppy linux on that, the distro is only 250mb

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2011, 01:31:05 pm »

FUCK

Is where I stopped reading.

Jokes aside, mind telling us clearly what the problem is? A rant doesn't do much good.

I couldn't even read your last post but attempting to was so funny that I'm giving you an invisible rep. But anyway what the heck man running Damn Small Linux? I ran Ubuntu 9.04 mostly smoothly on a computer was 256 MB of RAM and a 1 GHz CPU. Get a more mainstream distro (maybe not necessarily say Ubuntu), I weep for your computer if you try to use WinSever2k3. But it's worth a shot I guess.

He has a 0.3GHz Pentium II. I doubt he'll be able to run that.
Pages: [1] 2