Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: More options when "Abandoning Fortress"  (Read 1789 times)

malvado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
More options when "Abandoning Fortress"
« on: March 20, 2011, 07:11:23 am »

Basically I'd like to see a few more options there , after all you are expanding the Dwarven wealth :

*Retire : Gives over the administration of the fortress to your Kingdom and expands the dwarven area of influence on the world map.
*Found outpost : Randomly takes a few of the current forts Dwarves and sends them to the desired area , lose control of the current fort (also area of influence expands as above)
*Roadbuilding : Your goal is to link roads between Dwarven fortresses with some of the supplies from your last Fort.

Lord Zack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: More options when "Abandoning Fortress"
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 08:00:47 am »

I'm pretty sure the first option, at least, has already been discussed, but I'd would definitely like to see it. The second option is also pretty cool.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 11:07:48 am »

I like all of these ideas.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Lord Zack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 11:33:39 am »

The third idea would be pretty cool, like a mobile fortress. You'd be moving through the world, setting up camps in various places, gathering the resources you needed for the road and to keep you're workers alive.

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
  • My own avatar creeps me out.
    • View Profile
    • Not even internet famous
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2011, 04:26:03 pm »

Dwarfs would also dig tunnels, probably more so then building roads.
Slacker an illustrated story. Actually updated!?

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2011, 08:10:48 pm »

I like the first option.  Possibly it could be available only if you already have a duke, baron, or the King.  That would give a kind of "half win" condition to the game tho.  We might have to rethink "losing is fun"
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
  • My own avatar creeps me out.
    • View Profile
    • Not even internet famous
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2011, 09:07:21 pm »

Losing is fun, isn't because it's the only thing that can happen.  It's just that it'll happen often and you need to get use to it.  That and even if you worked really hard, when dwarfs die, it's fun.
Slacker an illustrated story. Actually updated!?

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2011, 04:59:55 am »

Losing is fun but losing must not be the only thing possible. You must also enjoy purified fun once in a while.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2011, 04:45:36 pm »

I like the first idea. It, like the retire feature in adventure mode, allows adventurers/whatever to meet them n the future games. It make it easy to either A.) recruit your soldiers and help them proactively find and kill those nearby titans that refuse to attack... or B.) retire an adventurer in a fort without having his and a pack of kobolds kill all of your dwarves that get in their way and some that don't.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

malvado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2011, 06:04:14 am »

Aye, the main idea was simply to allow players to stop "progress" on their fort and move on (either with adventure mode or another fort altogheter) with the fort "technically" still being in hands of the Dwarven civilization.

Lord Vetinari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2011, 08:50:07 am »

I'd like a 2.b option, in which you can go, found your colony, and then go back to your original fort. Maybe it becomes available only after your fort becomes a barony (it fits with a feudal society), and/or with a new "origin" in which your first 7 are exiled from the mountainhome and are going to found their own empire.

Then, after you founded some outposts, you can choose the original option you suggested, in which you can move your capital from the original fort to some of the new one.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 11:55:12 am by Lord Vetinari »

Lord Zack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2011, 09:30:33 am »

I think you should be able to retire a fortress after the first mayor is elected. I also like the idea of being able to start up an outpost to you're fortress after you get a barony.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2011, 04:35:36 pm »

Ok, that's wierd; for some reason It took me about an hour to find this thread again because for some reason it dosen't show up when I search the forum for "abandon fortress"
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2011, 05:22:31 pm »

I believe, after a few years time, we can safely say that Toady was refering to the fact that in his mind, the game doesn't end.  You win by it not failing.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.
Pages: [1] 2