Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: More options when "Abandoning Fortress"  (Read 1788 times)

neek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: More options when "Abandoning Fortress"
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2011, 11:55:43 pm »

Basically I'd like to see a few more options there , after all you are expanding the Dwarven wealth :

*Retire : Gives over the administration of the fortress to your Kingdom and expands the dwarven area of influence on the world map.
This is the best idea thus far for tweaking fort abandonment. It allows players who have long term goals (i.e., covering every square inch of the world with Dwarven fortresses across the map), and can also generate a number of fort-specific missions that don't undermine existing arcs (occupying a goblin outpost, which to you means that your civilization can expand outward without infringing on the military arc). Moreover, this decreases the gap between world generation and gameplay, which right now there is a huge gap (civilizations only expand during worldgen; this is being handled, of course, but this idea fits finely with those ideas.)

*Found outpost : Randomly takes a few of the current forts Dwarves and sends them to the desired area , lose control of the current fort (also area of influence expands as above)

This right here could go along with the top one. I somehow would like it better if you didn't have that much control over the fate of the fortress when you abandon it (you did, afterall, relinquish control).

*Roadbuilding : Your goal is to link roads between Dwarven fortresses with some of the supplies from your last Fort.

This one right here I'm somewhat opposed to: It would be better if you could commission a road to be built from an existing fortress, rather than having to start a fort, weather it out, build a road or dig a tunnel, then abandon it (one embark at a time, no less!). If you could commission it, you'd need whatever the closest occupation to a surveyor is (architect, I'd assume, as the skill is needed in building roads), raw materials, and masons and porters to ensures it gets built. It'd be a rather huge undertaking, so the rewards should be plentiful.
Pages: 1 [2]