Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: I just had an idea for a defense mechanism...  (Read 2726 times)

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
I just had an idea for a defense mechanism...
« on: March 20, 2011, 05:35:55 am »

A gigantic hollow box filled with magma. The box takes up the whole map (but is only 1 or 2 levels tall) and is held up by supports surrounded by erect drawbridges. A lever drops the drawbridges and collapses the supports, raining magma and tons of crushing stone. I need to know how to work pumps so I can pump the magma up, if building destroyers can destroy drawbridges and supports and how worthy of a defense this would be.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
Re: I just had an idea for a defense mechanism...
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 05:41:44 am »

Working pumps is quite easy. Just wiki it.
Building destroyers can destroy open bridges and supports.
This is a worthy defense. It has magma. Butit miiight be a little overkill... the whole... map...
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

Sir Broccoli

• Bay Watcher
  • Right in the goddamn FACE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 05:54:18 am »

overkill
There is no such thing!

Anyway, it sounds awesome. You might want to consider something slightly more resettable though...
If sad, apply kittens.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 05:58:49 am »

overkill
You might want to consider something slightly more resettable though...

Why?

Edit: Just had another idea. Trollmines. Magma filled boxes held up by one support that trolls will smash.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 06:01:27 am by Angel Of Death »
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.

noob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2011, 06:04:03 am »

overkill

Why?
so all the little elf children can come see the wondrous contraption. you dont want them to go home disappointed, right?
LOSING IS FUN!

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2011, 06:14:54 am »

overkill

Why?

Edit: Just had another idea. Trollmines. Magma filled boxes held up by one support that trolls will smash.

TROLLS TROLLING TROLLS

More seriously, it's cool but too much of a bother to reset honestly. Hell if you set up magma filled boxes outside you will take months to fill just one,

Really, a building surrounded with various weapon traps (or a dodgefall system) would be much more practical.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2011, 06:18:56 am »

overkill

Why?

TROLLS TROLLING TROLLS

More seriously, it's cool but too much of a bother to reset honestly. Hell if you set up magma filled boxes outside you will take months to fill just one,

Really, a building surrounded with various weapon traps (or a dodgefall system) would be much more practical.
Buildings surrounded by traps are undwarven, HERETIC!

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2011, 06:29:48 am »

Troll mines are an awesome idea. But should have an easy reset mechanism. Such as a magma gantry overhead which allows for magma to be dropped after the trap is reset.

Trap buildings aren't undwarven, insufficiently complicated ones are.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2011, 08:17:38 am »

Actually, a support with a floor atop it is a stable troll mine.  The troll smashes the support, the single floor tile crashes down, and the cave-in dust throws the troll away.  If you place walls around it, then the flying troll will hit the wall and explode.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2011, 09:37:59 am »

my own whoa moment recently has been the devising and implementation of a fire imp pillbox - 1x1 fortification box with imps pitted into it, raising bridges to close it off, linked to levers which drop the bridges to allow the imps to shoot fire at tactically placed trigger kittens. tends to sucessfully set invaders on fire, and pretty much everything else too. would work with dragons if wished.
This is a blank sig.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2011, 10:48:00 am »

In recent versions building destroyers completely ignore supports and drawbridges.  I can understand why toady changed this, as those 2 items are almost screaming to be made into building destroyer bait.

The best way to kill a building destroyer now is to build a statue surrounded by raising spikes just outside your door (preferrably an artifact statue, or any placeable artifact for that matter, as artifacts are invulnerable to building destroyers).  When the build destroyer goes and starts trying to destroy the bait, you have a dwarf start pulling the lever attached to the stabbity parts.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 10:51:34 am by gtmattz »
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2011, 10:59:32 am »

In my experience, anything high quality is tough as well.  I tend to love only masterwork for my fort, so I get a lot of exceptional statues and use them instead.  10x steel or addy menacing spikes will rend anything pretty much instantly, and you only need 10 if you understand the range of building destroyers.  In theory, this should work on HFS as well, right?  Have a single statue and repeating spikes, and shred them.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2011, 11:50:35 am »

My method still works because Trolls aren't TRAPAVOID. :D

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2011, 06:54:20 pm »

Will upright spikes hold a box?

Edit: Will trollmines will still work if they're surrounded by pressure plates that trolls trigger?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 07:06:54 pm by Angel Of Death »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2011, 07:17:51 pm »

Upright spikes will not support a construction atop them, if that's what you mean.

Trollmines linked to pressure plates, will trigger when any creature passes close by.  So, you might waste a perfectly good trollmine on a common goblin, or waterbuffalo...
Pages: [1] 2