Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dwarftropolis! [Again]  (Read 1573 times)

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
Dwarftropolis! [Again]
« on: March 20, 2011, 05:31:20 am »

So, I've started Dwarftropolis again (finding an embark. -.-) ! Yaay!

For those who missed it before when it failed (everyone except me, I mean), it consists of...

A flat landscape with walls, roads, and houses. Each dorf/family has a house, and all will be really quite nice. Primary objective is just to stick the walls up. Last time, this failed as I planned it wrong. I was planning, last time, to build the entire city out of obsidian. This time, if I cannot find a volcano, I will not. In any case, the preliminary wall will be made of wood.

My embark team will consist of...

1 miner/mason/mech
1 brewer/cook/fish cleaner
1 fisher
1 carpenter/woodcutter
3 peasants

ALL dorfs will have active Herbalist, Woodcutting, and the hauling labors on.
The 3 peasants are to save on points, which will be spent on more food and such. Anvil, and anything wooden will be compromised for more points. Battleaxes -> training, 1x cheapest pick, loads of food...

I'm looking for a ~flat, temperate/warm heavy forested area (volcano is good) with flux, no aq., and hopefully a river. Hope to have the outer wall set up with wood by the end of the first year.

Updates and pictures will be posted.
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

Thatdude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarftropolis! [Again]
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 06:20:30 am »

Sounds a bit like what I've done for my latest Fort. Apart from in mine most of my dwarfs live in 2x2 rooms in huge apartment blocks. While my countess practically has a whole castle to herself :D
Good luck anyway. I'm interested in how you get on.

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 06:23:21 am »

Still struggling to find a decent embark. One more try, then I give up on the volcano and possibly the river, and make it all out of marble or something.

I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 07:59:00 am »

Embark anywhere, and get a pump stack.  Cast obsidian somewhere, mine it, construct it.  Every map has magma :3

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2011, 07:59:54 am »

I may indeed cast the entire surface of the map... hmm, will that cause the dirt below to mess up? It will won't it. :(

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2011, 08:21:40 am »

I didn't say to cast the whole surface.  Just set up an area, probably underground, where you can cast obsidian.  Dig it out, move it to the top, and build with it.

deknegt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2011, 08:25:03 am »

I did such a game a couple of weeks ago.

I managed to embark in a open spot where a river ran through and the only places open where actually the two river sides and a fording area at the rivers edge.

Build the first wall completely out of marble which i quickly found in the underground mines.
The mines in fact also function as my ''reeducation'' vocations forcing dwarves who where locked up to have a short (permanent) stint as the forced miners.

And just like Thatdude the ''housing'', if you dare to call it that, comprise of little crappy hovels made out of crappy puddingstone with barely any place to rest yourself. (If there was a dwarven equivalent to asbestos, i would have used that.)

And of course the lords and ladies where on the other side of the city guarded by walls and personal guards in their personal villa's and castles.

The people who are worth something in my fort e.g. legendary masons/gem cutters and so forth also where living in the upper class district whilst the peasants and plebs where rotting away in the gutters.

Just a fun note that the wall surrounding the upper class also had a bridge in case of a siege. And to perform diplomacy with the goblins i gave them a part of my gutter population.

Yup, i am a sadist.

EDIT: And of course with handy use of the burrows system i made sure no smelly pleb was too eat from the fancy dinners and use the expert doctors.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 08:26:50 am by deknegt »

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2011, 08:29:15 am »

@Girl Yeah, but I may. XD

Other than that, I will set up an obsidian caster. The first wall will be wood though. Ok, I'm going to find myself an embark now without a volcano...

EDIT: Might as well wait for the next bugfix actually.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 08:38:05 am by EmperorJon »

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2011, 10:53:53 am »

I may indeed cast the entire surface of the map... hmm, will that cause the dirt below to mess up? It will won't it. :(

You'll get lots of obsidian floors, so you'll have to channel down to get dirt again.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2011, 11:03:41 am »

Obsidian casting changes the floor to rough obsidian.  If you have gold floors, and cast obsidian on them, you get rough obsidian floors.  So the upper layer of soil will be obsidian floor on top of soil walls.  You can channel out that whole layer to reveal the soil underneath.  Either way, selective casting would be ideal.  I'd suggest a pump stack up to a few levels above your fort, and then long, narrow above-ground aqueducts to push water and magma to the building sites, letting you cast blocks of stone that can then be carved out into homes.  You could also use a pressure system and underground liquid tunnels, and then either ignore the tunnels or convert them into a plumbing system.  Having a waterfall and dwarfbath in every above-ground home (or just a few of them?) would certainly be amazing.

EmperorNuthulu

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes nu's for their blueness, oh and that mohawk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2011, 11:12:10 am »

You should totally either make this into a succession fort or a community one. Good luck, and perhaps you could build it to span into the underground as well?
Blargh.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2011, 11:23:45 am »

Oh god yes, a great succession fort idea!  Just one rule, which is required for all good successions, no use of notes or commenting on things out of the game.

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2011, 11:31:29 am »

What do you mean?

+...
You may have just solved a dilemma of mine. There's this thread, and there's me saying I want a succession fort what shall I do.
XD

But I'm not sure if I want everyone else playing it... I mean, I rather want to build it how I want it...

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2011, 11:34:18 am »

Do both.  Start the fort, and copy the file.  One, you play and enjoy.  The other, the forums tosses around and drags through the dirt.  After a few years, compare your progress.

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2011, 11:51:21 am »

Hmmm... might not be a bad idea. Still, I've got another succession idea.
Pages: [1] 2