Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 18

Author Topic: Northern Frontier - Freeform, open-ended D&D 3.5e (Always Recruiting)  (Read 12698 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: Northern Frontier - Freeform, open-ended D&D 3.5e (Always Recruiting)
« Reply #180 on: April 04, 2011, 12:46:02 am »

Oh, alright.  Do you have supplies for two weeks?
Shoes...

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: April 04, 2011, 12:48:00 am »

Yeah. Maybe.

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: April 04, 2011, 08:58:18 am »

We didn't think to bring supplies?

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: April 04, 2011, 09:05:04 am »

I was sort of thinking we could pick up that stuff after the session. It is pretty tedious to do it in game. I mean, look how much just getting the box open slowed things down.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: April 04, 2011, 11:25:46 am »

If you weren't so insistent on denying a guy the pay for using the tiny, complicated, and specialized tools and skills he has, it wouldn't have taken so long.  Jeez.

I'll figure out how much experience everyone has soon.
Shoes...

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: April 04, 2011, 11:40:34 am »

It was a gyp. It is not like he loses anything worth anything. He gained his skills and his tool to be a blacksmith. If he does not want to be a blacksmith he should not be a blacksmith!

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: April 04, 2011, 01:26:07 pm »

Dude, he probably didn't have a choice. Most likely, his father, his father's father, and so on, have all been blacksmiths, and so on for as long as can be remembered. People didn't really get much of a choice in profession.

Unless they are adventurers, of course.
Quote from: Wing, via Discord
I want a coat that doesn't make me look like a rear admiral from the East India Company

Jusman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: April 04, 2011, 03:18:50 pm »

I'm sorry (for myself) that I couldn't stay for the second trip out.
As for gear, I took the masterwork light wooden shield (153gp).

Like last week I should be free wednesday night, if anyone wants to travel somewhere. (By the way, should making plans for trips be in here or the tavern thread?)
I heard your like sieges so I put a Goblin fortress in your fortress so you could siege while besieged.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: April 04, 2011, 07:09:08 pm »

It was a gyp. It is not like he loses anything worth anything. He gained his skills and his tool to be a blacksmith. If he does not want to be a blacksmith he should not be a blacksmith!

Can you pick a lock?  No?  Then deal.  That's how things work, people with skills get to screw over people who don't.
Shoes...

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: April 04, 2011, 08:05:52 pm »

Can you pick a lock?  No?  Then deal.  That's how things work, people with skills get to screw over people who don't.

I can not tell if we are still joking or if this has turned into a serious discussion on how a middle age economy works.

If it is still joking: Well then, maybe I should have used my head bashing skills to screw him over.

If not joking: Although true to a point, there are limits on the acceptable amount of screwing over one can do. This is called the market price. If you do not deal at around this price, you are fucked with everyone who is not a farmer keeling over from starvation and the farms getting eaten by bears. In addition to this, for many people their time can and is measured in money. For a black smith that is around 3.75 copper pieces per hour. I offered him over 13 hours of pay, for a few seconds of work. Hell, I even offered him that outrageous price knowingly. I know that NPC's screw over PC's, I just did not know that you were going to try to have him screw me out of almost three months pay.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 08:09:57 pm by Criptfeind »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: April 04, 2011, 08:10:22 pm »

You got 150 gold out of it, man.  That's like a month's pay.

Anyway, haven't you seen that order of the stick where the party comes into town and everyone's suddenly jacking up prices on everything because they knwo they're loaded

You may as well be wearing a hawaiian shirt, he knows you have the money.
Shoes...

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: April 04, 2011, 08:15:17 pm »

Cthulhu. You will always be a enigma to me. You get mad at Barbarossa for breaking realism with the names of his skeletons, then you base your npc's economy on a web comic that breaks the fourth wall more times then France has sent up the white flag.

Also you will note, they are much higher level then us, 25gp means nothing to them, the opportunity cost makes it not worth picking up off the floor. For 25gp and the right to ruffle though their pockets I would kill a man at level one.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: April 04, 2011, 08:26:06 pm »

The comic is a joke but it's illustrating an actual concept.  They don't know what level you are.  All they know is you're adventurers, and adventurers are supposed to carry around economy-destabilizing amounts of gold.

The easier answer, though:  I just threw out a price.
Shoes...

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: April 04, 2011, 10:44:55 pm »

Heh. Funny comic, that.

While you do make a good point about the whole 'adventurer=rich' thing, Cthulhu, 25 gp was higher than what could be expected for what took me ten seconds with a crowbar. The trained professional card doesn't work because of that.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: April 04, 2011, 11:01:21 pm »

Cthulhu. You will always be a enigma to me. You get mad at Barbarossa for breaking realism with the names of his skeletons. . .
Yes, that. I thought that Ahnold, Barry, and Cal were perfectly abecedarian names.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 18