Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18

Author Topic: Northern Frontier - Freeform, open-ended D&D 3.5e (Always Recruiting)  (Read 12664 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile

You are a subject of Baron Gunther II, baron (surprise) of the southern peninsula.  For the past century, the fortress-city of Marakhand has been held by the Hell's Teeth orcs, led by the immortal warlord Ugruk Devilfather.  Marakhand's strategic position along the only pass through the mountains that top the peninsula means that the barony has been isolated since the fortress fell.  The orcs were content to make occasional raids on the citizens of the Barony, but large incursions were few and always beaten back by the baron's elite soldiers.

9 months ago, the Three Year Siege ended with the destruction of Ugruk and the scattering of the Hell's Teeth clan.  Cleanup and reclamation of Marakhand has recently been completed and the city is beginning to bustle with human activity for the first time in over a hundred years.  With the unclaimed mainland opened up, an occupation previously thought extinct is beginning to reemerge:  The freelance adventurer.  With the size and relative stability of the southern peninsula, there was little adventure to be had; virtually all places of adventure had been picked clean decades ago and the land was too settled for any of the great beasts of Myth to stake a claim.  None of that is true in this new land, and the adventurous, opportunistic, and foolhardy are already gearing up to relive the glory days of exploration and adventure.

The northern frontier is wild and mysterious.  Danger abounds but so does opportunity, for those skilled and daring enough to take it.  Remember: Losing is fun!  Strike the wilderness!

Alright, now that that bullshit is over with, let me explain.  Northern Frontier is a West Marches-style game.  To summarize:  Low-level, low-magic, high-lethality, semi-competitive, old school exploration/dungeon crawling.  You and your comrades in arms are adventurers.  Your home base is Marakhand, and from there you organize adventuring parties to brave the uncharted wilderness.  There's no limit to how many players can join, but I'm going to limit you to one character per player.  Having a backup in case you die is fine, but backups can't be used until your active character dies or (permanently) retires.  Anything in the core rulebooks is generally okay.  Things outside of those rulebooks require my approval beforehand.

Spoiler: Exceptions (click to show/hide)

Now then, here's how things will work for the most part, and along the way I'll explain what you can expect.  Everything related to planning an excursion is on your shoulders.  There are no set times for playing.  If you want to play, talk amongst the other players and find a time you can get a group together.  PM me or message me on Steam, Hamachi, or however you can get a hold of me and tell me who's going, what time, and where you intend to go.  If I can make that time, I'll set things up and we'll have fun.  If I can't, you need to find another time.  There's not much more to it.

Spoiler: Rules (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: What to expect (click to show/hide)

This post will be edited with relevant information as I think of it.  A second thread will be opened up for roleplay, scheduling, and bragging/sharing info.  More information on that stuff will be in the OP of that thread.

If you want to play and you're not on my shortlist, feel free to join.  It's best if you know how to play or can teach yourself.  If you absolutely can't, I can give you a rundown but nothing kills enthusiasm like teaching someone to play mid-game.  That being said, I can schedule a learning game with one or two people to get you acquainted, but the real game takes priority.

Something I forgot to mention.  We'll be using either Maptool or gametable.  Maptool is cool but I'm leaning toward GameTable, as Maptool has a lot of features and a lot of this stuff is going to be pretty short notice.  Gametable has a much faster setup.

Spoiler: Gods (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 07:48:02 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I don't know if I will have time, but I sure will try.

Thinking... Like... Cleric. Get back to my D&D roots and all. Heal bot as well, low magic means we will need it.

Specific gods or generic?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 10:54:25 pm by Criptfeind »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile

Standard Greyhawk gods.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 11:41:54 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Greayhawk is generic plus other stuff right?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile

Pelor, Wee Jas, Vecna, those guys.  The one's in the player's handbook.  Aside from that, divine powers come as much from your own conviction as they do from divine intervention.  As long as it's not retarded or an attempt to bring real-world issues into the game, worship what you want.
Shoes...

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Google docs might work for the cooperative world information building.

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Tentatively in, Proly as a Rogue, or Fighter. I'll flip a coin later if it looks like interest is there.
But despite what you've been told, I once had a soul. Left somewhere behind...

Jusman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I could play some sessions on weekdays, (so Monday or Wednesday) and maybe Sunday. How late would you be able to start on weekdays though, 8 is probably the earliest I can start, I might be able to squeeze in at 7 but I'd probably be 10 or so minutes late.
I heard your like sieges so I put a Goblin fortress in your fortress so you could siege while besieged.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile

Is that GMT or what?
Shoes...

Jusman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah
I heard your like sieges so I put a Goblin fortress in your fortress so you could siege while besieged.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

How do we like, copy things onto the map thing? Cause I got this
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
but it is not showing up when I upload it to the image files.

Edit: F you too program. I got it now.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 01:28:50 pm by Criptfeind »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile

I have no idea how to use Google Docs.

Also, I seem to have misled you.  The structure is to the north-northwest.

I may give you guys a starter map with a basic idea of the topography.  A verbal description is going to lead to various interpretations and you may end up starting off with a map that has no basis in reality.  That will throw you off.  I'll post a starter map in the tavern.
Shoes...

Jusman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

How much is the point buy?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile

4d6, discard lowest.  Do it on invisiblecastle and link to it.

Use the standard gold for your class.
Shoes...

Jusman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

http://invisiblecastle.com/stats/view/26354/

Gonna be a dwarf fighter

And here's my gold roll, I wasn't sure if by standard you meant the average but it doesn't even matter because it's the same amount anyway
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2944171/
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 06:07:55 pm by Jusman »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18