Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How many Z levels deep should a prisoner pit be?  (Read 3789 times)

Hammerstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How many Z levels deep should a prisoner pit be?
« on: March 19, 2011, 07:57:02 pm »

I tried it just a bit ago with just 1 Z level, and the goblin couldn't get out, but the dwarves wouldn't put the other two I caught in because they'd freak out every time they went near the edge, in spite of the fact they were dragging the others, which ended up getting loose and running. I managed to get a squad moving and take care of them before they did any real damage, but it got me thinking. Would a two or three Z levels of drop into the pit work better, without killing the prisoners on impact, and without dwarves freaking out when three steps from the edge?

Hell, maybe I'll throw a few war dogs down there and just feed them the goblins caught in cages.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: How many Z levels deep should a prisoner pit be?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 08:21:23 pm »

Hatches.  Make a 1x1 hole be the entrance, and place a hatch over it.  Enemies will be pitted through the hatch, civilians won't flee from them because the hatch blocks view, and if there's axe soldiers within, the flying bits won't escape.  I had axe soldiers under a pit, and goblin arms and legs would lop off and fly up out of the pit.  The hatch prevented flying bits from escaping.

Hammerstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 08:26:13 pm »

Ah, didn't think of that. Thanks, I'll give that a try.

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, 09:29:08 pm »

Yes, hatches are awesome. You can also use this sort of arrangement:

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Stupid_dwarf_trick#Mass_Cage_Recycling_System

This has saved me much trouble.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2011, 09:32:25 pm »

Hatches.  Make a 1x1 hole be the entrance, and place a hatch over it.  Enemies will be pitted through the hatch, civilians won't flee from them because the hatch blocks view, and if there's axe soldiers within, the flying bits won't escape.  I had axe soldiers under a pit, and goblin arms and legs would lop off and fly up out of the pit.  The hatch prevented flying bits from escaping.

Ahh? So we can pit through hatches? Preventing the chance death of a dwarf due to an unlucky dodge while in the pitting room?

(Dashes off to install hatches.)

Hammerstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2011, 10:44:04 pm »

I'll be damned, it works beautifully. For now, just gonna let those baby snatchers starve. Next time I'll be more clever. I'm thinking an alligator pit.

Skivverus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2011, 10:50:59 pm »

Well, if the pit's deep enough, it becomes less of a "prisoner" pit and more of an "assorted body parts, weapons, and armor" pit. Aside from that, yeah, hatches.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2011, 11:11:47 pm »

That's awesome, i was thinking you would need to use a complex arrangement of retracting bridges which drop the goblins a level at a time till they hit the ground...
Complex if more dwarfy though
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Hammerstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2011, 11:23:10 pm »

That's awesome, i was thinking you would need to use a complex arrangement of retracting bridges which drop the goblins a level at a time till they hit the ground...
Complex if more dwarfy though
Maybe less dwarfy, but I'd prefer a crane.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2011, 12:08:37 am »

How many Z levels deep should a prisoner pit be?
10 or 15, imo.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Urist McGyver

• Bay Watcher
  • I love Roc Birds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2011, 01:07:21 am »

Hatches.  Make a 1x1x50 hole be the entrance, and place a hatch over it.  Enemies will be pitted through the hatch, civilians won't flee from them because the hatch blocks view, and if there's axe soldiers within, the flying bits won't escape.  I had axe soldiers under a pit, and goblin arms and legs would lop off and fly up out of the pit.  The hatch prevented flying bits from escaping.

That if you don't mind losing the goblinite.
It's treated as completely normal because this is Dwarf Fortress.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with surrounding yourself with a wall of flames, only to later realize that you're surrounded by a wall of flames.
There's nothing that can't be solved by hurling fifteen roc birds at it.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2011, 05:04:20 am »

You won't lose the goblinite with anything else than magma or an atom smasher.

I found that spamming cage traps at the entry, and then making a multiple cage recycling system WITH your military waiting on the room under is fun. Good thing is that it trains well your military and it concentrates goblinite (and goblin extremities) inside your fortress so your haulers don't expose themselves.

Kumagoro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2011, 01:59:59 pm »

Wait, if I'm not mistaken, you're actually getting goblins out of cages without them breaking free? How? They keep doing that for me :s

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2011, 02:09:42 pm »

Gobbos don't starve.

jaxad0127

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2011, 02:41:42 pm »

Wait, if I'm not mistaken, you're actually getting goblins out of cages without them breaking free? How? They keep doing that for me :s
Thieves can (and usually do) escape. Soldiers usually don't.
Pages: [1] 2