Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: [FEELS_PAIN:%] creature tag  (Read 1849 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [FEELS_PAIN:%] creature tag
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2011, 11:27:14 am »

I don't think there needs to be a new raw token for this. Just multiply the scale of the PAIN_RECEPTOR values (as you suggest) by 10 or 100 or something, then modify them on a creature-by-creature basis.

Except that isn't quite how it works in nature.

For example distance from brain effects pain.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2011, 11:44:20 am »

And how exactly would this suggestion be a better implementation of that than what we have already?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2011, 11:47:02 am »

And how exactly would this suggestion be a better implementation of that than what we have already?

By determining the sensitivity of the pain receptors instead of enlarging them so they are struck more causing easier nerve damage.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2011, 12:12:59 pm »

I don't think there needs to be a new raw token for this. Just multiply the scale of the PAIN_RECEPTOR values (as you suggest) by 10 or 100 or something, then modify them on a creature-by-creature basis.
But then you'd have to modify numerous tokens, or create a number of tissue templates that would have to be added to the creature anyway.

I guess it's very vaguely similar to the old [DAMBLOCK:] token. It's a blanket tag that's videogamey if overdone (yes, that covers [NOPAIN] itself as well), but it serves the practical purpose of making some creatures fight on longer without making them into the Terminator.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

JohnieRWilkins

• Bay Watcher
  • @_@?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2011, 01:31:41 pm »

The anti-pain thing is one possible way of handling resistance to pain when on drugs and stuff. Like dwarven morphine. Took 100 units of morphine? Your pain meter goes to -100 and you'd get a happy thought for experiencing anti-pain. Then you'd have to take 200 units of PAIN to max it out.

Of course the best way to handle it would be to just progressively dampen all pain (little pain gets dampened a bit, lot of pain gets dampened a lot) while under the influence to the point when your character won't feel their arm being lopped off.
- But honestly, if you think
If we could miniaturize things, we would have everybody wielding drawbridges and utterly atomizing

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2011, 02:43:12 pm »

Though that only works for substances, not for creatures.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2011, 04:05:20 pm »

Perhaps it's better to think of it another way - Pain is just your sense of touch.  It's "Painful" when you have an overwhelming amount of information on what you are "touching", but a light, soft touch or certain types of patterns of touch (soft, fluffy things) are pleasant. 

Being overwhelmed by pain is being hit with far too much sensory information for your brain to properly process, especially when there are reflexive reactions to sensory input like touch/pain. 

Hence, I'm going to have to agree with Neonivek, here - "negative pain" makes little sense - it's like "unseeing" something.  (Once you have seen, you cannot unsee.) You can be blinded by seeing too much light, but darkness isn't anti-light, it's an absence of light.  Likewise, pleasant forms of light are just moderate amounts of light that convey data we enjoy.  Gaining pleasure from something we see isn't the same as having negative amounts of blinding concentrations of light.

Having something that functionally performs a "pain tolerance" level, the point at which pain causes a mind to no longer function properly makes sense.  If we are dealing with berserkers, what we need is a different threshold - they still feel pain, but they will go berserk as a response to their pain, but can still be overwhelmed by pain if they go too far beyond their limits, themselves. 

We already have berserking dwarves, and they aren't running on "negative pain". 

Rather, I would think that there could be something that is trainable about pain resistance, as well.  (Leaving danger rooms to "train dwarves to take more pain" aside...) Making dwarves who are more experienced with combat generally more pain-resistant would make sense.  There are plenty of other jobs that would probably "toughen you up" to pain, as well, but it would be a good start to have a grizzled veteran of combat better trained and able to set aside the reflexive reaction to being injured in his/her mind. 
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2011, 04:07:46 pm »

Rather, I would think that there could be something that is trainable about pain resistance, as well.

That's technically already in the game in the form of willpower and whatever other attributes affect pain resistance. It isn't necessarily trainable at the moment, of course, but it is there.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2011, 05:22:58 pm »

Well, perhaps I should say "more trainable than simply very, very gradually gaining willpower over time".  Attribute gain in the game right now is a fairly slow and subtle thing, as far as I can tell.  Having ranks in fighter increase pain resistance have an additional impact could be something you could more directly train.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Dave1004

• Bay Watcher
  • This is getting personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2011, 04:36:02 pm »

I don't like pain...

Do dwarves feel pain? Poor guys...Well, when my friendly neighborhood elves come along, We'll have a party and drink the night away.

I love those elves. I give them sapphires, they give me grizzlies.

Hardcap of 200 MB/24 hours.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2011, 04:44:50 pm »

I like the idea of having a simple multiplier number that would simply modify the amount of pain receptors in the creature's tissue.  It's simple and fairly easy to code.

Also, any negative numbers should be culled and treated as a 0, the equivalent of the current [NOPAIN] tag.

Remember, if it's simple, and it makes sense, it's more likely to go in.  Not that anything here is that likely to go in but if it's complex and fidgety, it DEFINITELY won't go in.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2011, 09:29:29 pm »

I like the idea of having a simple multiplier number that would simply modify the amount of pain receptors in the creature's tissue.  It's simple and fairly easy to code.

Also, any negative numbers should be culled and treated as a 0, the equivalent of the current [NOPAIN] tag.

Remember, if it's simple, and it makes sense, it's more likely to go in.  Not that anything here is that likely to go in but if it's complex and fidgety, it DEFINITELY won't go in.

Actually, a lot of simple and sensical things have been on these suggestions forums that never go in.

The things that go in are the things that tend to have a lot of technical data and links to the research that backs it up.  Complexity and finnicky realism tends to be a plus, when you get right down to it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

devek

• Bay Watcher
  • [KILL_EVERYTHING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2011, 11:35:27 pm »

Don't dwarfs already get married?
"Why do people rebuild things that they know are going to be destroyed? Why do people cling to life when they know they can't live forever?"
Pages: 1 [2]