Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: [FEELS_PAIN:%] creature tag  (Read 1853 times)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
[FEELS_PAIN:%] creature tag
« on: March 19, 2011, 06:08:42 pm »

Right now, pain is all or nothing, moderated by the willpower attribute (which also controls resistance to exertion). Given how much of a combat boost creatures get when they stop passing out once injured sufficiently, there should be more control over how much pain something can feel. For this to work properly, units in the pain scale need to be smaller. Dividing each current unit into 10 should be enough. No tag would indicate [FEELS_PAIN:100], which would use the values given in the tissue template

Same for bleeding, that works the same way at the moment.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: [FEELS_PAIN:%] creature tag
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 06:15:12 pm »

Can it be negative?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 06:56:23 pm »

Can it be negative?

I don't think there is such a thing as "Anti-pain"

I mean I know people often put pleasure on the other side of pain but they arn't really the same entity.

Anyhow Feels pain as a percent works for me. A lot of creatures, such as dinosaurs, feel pain but have it rather diminished. Several animals I can think of can easily continue on with broken limbs without any duress.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, 07:02:44 pm »

What, you have something against masochists?  We all know that all DF players are masochists at heart.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2011, 07:17:02 pm »

What, you have something against masochists?  We all know that all DF players are masochists at heart.

Masochists feel pain as far as I am aware. They just derive pleasure from a certain amount of it under certain conditions.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2011, 07:18:45 pm »

Correct, but this thread seems focused on the creature's reaction to pain, not the actual pain itself.  Since pain causes a creature to fall and stop fighting, then a negative pain rating should send the creature into a berzerk rage when taking injuries.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2011, 07:22:15 pm »

Correct, but this thread seems focused on the creature's reaction to pain, not the actual pain itself.  Since pain causes a creature to fall and stop fighting, then a negative pain rating should send the creature into a berzerk rage when taking injuries.

Or it could just cause the creature to babble incoherantly.

orbcontrolled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2011, 08:25:49 pm »

But we shouldn't achieve that by allowing negative pain, we should do it by defining the reaction to pain separately from a creature's resistance to pain.

dwarf_sadist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2011, 11:34:43 pm »

Really? Given how most people manage their nobles and population, I would of thought they're sadists.
Critical hit! It's super effective!

"You scratch the Giant Tiger in the Upper Body, tearing the muscle, shattering the right false rib and tearing apart the heart! An artery has been opened by the attack! A major artery in the heart has been opened by the attack! A tendon in the false right rib has been torn!"

!!crundle!!

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERYONE, I AM ON FIRE
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2011, 12:18:17 am »

Really? Given how most people manage their nobles and population, I would of thought they're sadists.

Can't you be a masochistic sadist?
w̷̦̬̹̣͕̙͖͑̓̌̓̑̄͒͋͜͝h̙̩͈̱͚̳̳̪͖̙͕̥̳ͥ̍̔͂̑̿̓̍̑ͣ͆̅̀͢y̧̼̭͎͓̟̺͉̰͎̱̜ͫ̂́͗̐̑́w̢̬̪͈̲̽̋́̈̓ͨ̄͐̿̓ͧ̇ͩ̏ͫ̑̎͟͡ḩ̡͍̫̣̹̬̙̭͊ͯͯ̉͡y̔ͥ̏͛̀̂̎̆ͥͮ̐̍̈̏͆̓̅̒҉̢̘͚͎̠̻̣̯̥̠̙̤̪̮̝̲̜̪́̕̕ͅw̸̗̻̱ͭͣͦͤ̇̑̅͗ͨͬ͋̉͊ͨ͂͜hͩͪ̋ͣ̇̔͂ͧ̍̾͂͏̨̠͕̼̟͙̳̺͕̥͔̜̮̩̰̲̞̼y̴̸̵̪͕̜̪̙̦̘ͧ̽̇ͭͭͬͯ̾̈́̐̂̉͆͒ͤ̌̀̕w̺̟͙͙̭͇̟̮͉̯͈͖̩͔͊͛ͧͯ̀̿ͣͪ͂ͪ͘̕͠ͅh̷̴̷̢͉͖̺̦̣͙̓ͧ̅͋ͪ̾̓͒̌̒ͯ̇́ͯ̕y̋ͪ̓̒̈́͞͏̤̗̞̲̪͚̮̤̫̪̺̪̫̕w̸͔̺̱̼̪̮̘̟͖̭̱͓͈̜͇͚͉̙͊̈́ͦ̅̋̂ͩ̓͗́̚͡ͅĥ̶̨̟̺͕̌͆͒͑ͦͨ̉͆͜͜ý̧͓̼̘̯͉̘̺̩͇̻͈͔̖͎̜͍ͭ̌ͩ͟͝͞

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2011, 09:42:36 am »

You can be both, but that's aside the point.

As proof that we're all masochists: Losing is Fun.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2011, 09:46:12 am »

You can be both, but that's aside the point.

As proof that we're all masochists: Losing is Fun.

Well everyone has masochistic tendencies but that is because of how out biology handles pain.

That is besides the point the point is

DEAL WITH "Pleasure from Pain" and "Buffs from Pain" as a SEPERATE Entity. Not as a negative pain as that doesn't make sense.

Even then a Masochist wouldn't actually find being stabbed or slashed from assault to be pleasurable anyhow so a negative pain modifier to represent that wouldn't make sense either. This isn't freeky Valkyria Chronicles where masochists not only like being shot but it actually improves their performance.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2011, 09:52:29 am »

"YES SHOOT MY I LOVE IT!"

That being said, why not?  I'd like some dastardly creatures of the deep that get stronger the longer you fight.  It wouldn't fit for most vanilla creatures, but might work for some semi-megabeasts, like minotaurs who might need a buff to their smaller size, and dangerous beasts.  There's also only one vanilla creature with verminhunter and the various related tags, but we still have verminhunter tag and have it available for modding.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2011, 10:02:23 am »

That being said, why not?

Well I could go in depth but for the most part I'll just sum it up as psychology.

Still as I said it needs to be seperated from the pain tag not a part of it. Especially since as I said "Negative pain makes no sense" since in essence the creature isn't feeling pain they are feeling anti-pain.

So if you were playing the demon the tags you would see is: Bleeding, wounded, ANTI-PAIN!

Also I just realised something

WE ARE CREATING GAME PHYSICS!!!

The monster that gets stronger right before dying? Videogame Cliche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2011, 10:59:17 am »

I don't think there needs to be a new raw token for this. Just multiply the scale of the PAIN_RECEPTOR values (as you suggest) by 10 or 100 or something, then modify them on a creature-by-creature basis.
Pages: [1] 2