Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Massive FPS decrease  (Read 1080 times)

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
Massive FPS decrease
« on: March 19, 2011, 05:52:21 pm »

I'm playing a 3x3 fort, 73 population, and 10 animals. Tempature on, weather off. Temperate biome leaning on the cold side, no river. Small world. It settles at about 30-31 FPS. Any idea why? My other fort had about 35 FPS with 80 population, around 5 animals, a river, and a 4x4. It also had HFS and all caverns revealed. Could it be an FB? I know it's not massive liquid movement, as I've used reveal to check it.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Massive FPS decrease
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 05:53:18 pm »

Ghosts?
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.
Ashes are technically fire-safe.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 05:56:25 pm »

Only one death and that one is buried.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, 06:02:10 pm »

You've used reveal, is there an FB there? Do you have a curious structure? The amounts of miasma those generate might have an impact.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2011, 07:29:05 pm »

No forgotten beast or curious structure. I guess I'll just be grateful I haven't got an opened HFS.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2011, 07:37:52 pm »

Is it an evil biome? It might be zombies even with no HFStructure; they give off lots of miasma, which drains FPS.

Also, how's your fort design? It might be that your old fort had a significantly more path-efficient design than your current one, which is a possible cause of the lower FPS in the new fort.

Um. Item numbers, perhaps? If you've dug out an unusual amount or haven't been trading away much, you might have too many items. In one fort (admittedly, some time ago), I found a gain of roughly 1 FPS per 1500 items I eliminated. Maybe try atomsmashing/garbage chuteing stuff.

In addition, I find that buildingdestroyers cause lots of lag, especially in large numbers. This connects with the evil biome thing, as you can get swarms of zombie or skeletal creatures that sap your FPS significantly.

You also may have ambush squads on your map. They are unseen, but cause FPS drop, sometimes in large amounts.

My final guess is that you might simply have lots of wild animals on your map that are migrating and causing additional pathing. Always troublesome, pathing is.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2011, 10:00:58 pm »

1. Not in an evil biome

2. Probably. Other fort had the central staircase with no halways design.

3. I've been atom-smashing stone and refuse for a while. Not very many items.

4. See 1.

5. Most likely

6. Maybe.

Genoraven

• Bay Watcher
  • 4 Ichy Tasty
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2011, 01:39:01 am »

Might be fortress design. Up down staircases make pathing take much longer. Try using ramps rather than up/down staircases It really does improve your fps. It takes a bit more time to designate a fortress but i personally like the look.
Urist McPeasant cancels point and laugh at Philosopher - Philosopher no longer exists.
Philosopher cancels job: abstractualize existence: interrupted by personal nonexistence.

Funburns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2011, 02:45:58 am »

You mentioned you have temperature turned on. Have you tried turning temperature on and off between saves? That would help determine whether or not the change is temperature related.

Another thing to check is what your error message settings might be turned to. In the orders menu (o) the job cancellation message setting (x) may have accidentally been turned off, and if there's one or more dwarves spamming especially processor-costly job orders, it may be revealed by toggling it to the highest level for a moment.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2011, 02:52:07 am »

Do you have any ghosts on your map? They MASSIVELY lag the game.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Cassicotca

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2011, 03:17:24 am »

EDIT: nevermind need to learn to read <.< >.>
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 08:58:28 am by Cassicotca »

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2011, 04:26:00 am »

(it's difficult to help if you haven't read the thread)
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2011, 08:57:43 am »

You mentioned you have temperature turned on. Have you tried turning temperature on and off between saves? That would help determine whether or not the change is temperature related.

Another thing to check is what your error message settings might be turned to. In the orders menu (o) the job cancellation message setting (x) may have accidentally been turned off, and if there's one or more dwarves spamming especially processor-costly job orders, it may be revealed by toggling it to the highest level for a moment.
I'll try the temperature. Also, my dwarves have been giving me errors like Urist McTanner cancels tan hide, needs TAN_MAT material and things like that.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2011, 09:02:41 am »

If you've got multiple tanners and one hide, this causes issues.  I normally have about a dozen butchers and half as many tanners.  When one trog dies, then every butcher adds a "butcher animal" task.  1 gets the trog, the other 11 get Cancels.  Very annoying.