Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Do you buy food and booze from the caravans?  (Read 2579 times)

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
Do you buy food and booze from the caravans?
« on: March 19, 2011, 04:49:35 pm »

I was curious what other people do with all the food and alcohol the caravans bring. I typically buy it all for sake of variety, even though I usually have more than I need anyways.

Brilliand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Do you buy food and booze from the caravans?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 04:58:58 pm »

I was curious what other people do with all the food and alcohol the caravans bring. I typically buy it all for sake of variety, even though I usually have more than I need anyways.

I generally leave the food alone, but I buy the booze for the barrels.  Also, I still occasionally run out of booze, but I'm constantly gaining food from the farmers and hunters that I simply leave to their work.

Sometimes I'll buy food if I want more ingredients for masterwork prepared meals, or fish for the sake of variety (since I hate having my dwarves fish).
The blood of our enemies is but a symbol.  The true domain of Armok is magma - mountain's blood.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 05:11:02 pm »

I always get a farm set up within the first season.  I even did this before the changes to soil types, and I'd get an underground farm up within a month or two using bucket brigade and creative mining.  I only ever embark with 1-5 seeds, a pick, an axe, an anvil, and a lot of "stuff" that isn't immediately useful.  Sometimes I don't even bring the seeds, and instead drink water for the first season while my farmer gathers some local shrubs, then I get an above-ground strawberry farm and by second season I've got booze and food production running smooth.

gentgeen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, 05:20:09 pm »

I always buy booze. In my first fort ever, I ran out of booze during the winter, in a map that froze in the winter. Only one dorf survived the winter, and that one went insane. However, with the spring came a new wave of immigrants and a coffin construction industry started up. Since then, I've always bought every drop of booze the caravans bring, just in case.

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2011, 05:28:59 pm »

I always buy some food and booze. It's fairly cheap, and there's not a whole lot else they might have that I want.
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

MacMahoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2011, 05:34:41 pm »

I always buy out the caravans for food and booze. I try to avoid the mountains of food and seeds you accumulate from farming by not farming. It makes things a little more... fun

always makes seiges more interesting though as I start running out of kittens rather quickly

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2011, 07:12:03 pm »

The first dwarven caravan and sometimes the first elf caravan. I'll buy up all food and booze to bolster my starting supplies. But I usually have the farms up and running by this time and will more than likely be overloaded with food/booze by the end of the 2nd year. Quarry bushes and chopped dogs are the staple diet of my dwarves, and the 4 underground boozes. I usually don't bother setting up surface farms though I'll occasionally pick all the shrubs and make booze from them, followed by cooking all surface plant seeds.

Edit: I used to make syrup and micromanage it so I had syrup and leaf roasts too, but that did get pretty annoying after awhile. Also the dwarves apparently don't like using stone pots to process syrup either.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 07:14:30 pm by Patchy »

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2011, 07:20:40 pm »

I buy some food mostly for variety, and booze as well because it's less annoying that to order a brewing repeat order and discover you haven't any barrels.

Well now that there are large pots the problem is solved but... ah well, I should brew most of my harvest and cook it with meat.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2011, 07:22:34 pm »

Do dwarves eating a roast with booze count as drinking?  I don't think so...

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2011, 07:24:25 pm »

Nope, but they generally get a good thought from the good quality meal.

Plus, various IRL recipes with meat cooked in alcohol are pretty good. Well, it's not like in DF when you mix a full barrel of alcohol with a stack of 7 cat meat, but still...
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 07:26:31 pm by Naryar »

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2011, 09:15:18 pm »

I usually buy booze from all three caravans, and varying amounts of food depending on the circumstances.  I tend to buy fruit from the Elves, meat and fish from the Humans (they seem to have a great variety of fish at their disposal), and milk and cheese from the Dwarves.  Once I have huge amounts of food lying around I only buy booze.  I never buy plump helmets and seldom buy milled goods unless I have a lot of items to trade and want the bags.  I really haven't adjusted to the new livestock model yet, so I don't know how milking pastured animals and collecting eggs will affect my food purchases.  Things are a lot more complex now with all of the new professions, which is great, but unsettling to established patterns.  :)

There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2011, 09:26:25 pm »

In some cases where it's harder to farm, like if I start out on a glacier, I always buy up all the food. Seems like caravans currently bring so much food that you could pretty much live off of food just from caravans.

Always buy up booze because, even though you can't get enough booze, it's even more impossible to get enough barrels. So get the booze if only for the barrels.

I always buy up all foreign berries and plants, disable cooking on them, and brew them all. This is also good because you can then plant the resulting seeds, grow more berries, and always have a HUGE variety of booze sure to keep anyone and anything happy.

When will smoking be introduced so we can grow dwarf weed?

Krelos

• Bay Watcher
  • Was nauseated by the sun recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2011, 09:41:34 pm »

In some cases where it's harder to farm, like if I start out on a glacier, I always buy up all the food. Seems like caravans currently bring so much food that you could pretty much live off of food just from caravans.
I actually have supported 150+ dwarf forts with nothing but food, booze and plants bought off the caravans.

My current effort is to have a vegetarian fort, eating only our own berries and our own brew. Surface and cave plants both.
Quote from: Ravenplucker
Quote from: Aklyon
Quote from: smokingwreckage
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.
or maybe throw them into the large hadron collider to atom-smash them instead.
Not to mention to throw all available animals into tiny pits.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2011, 09:41:54 pm »

Urist McDwarf has been content lately. He has admired a fine hickory pipe recently. He has had a good smoke of finely shredded marijuana lately. He has complained of hunger recently.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 09:45:57 pm by Lagslayer »

MantisMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Say what you mean, mean what you say.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2011, 09:43:59 pm »

The most recent version I played was .18, so I haven't seen pots, clay, eggs, pastures, and I haven't been able to figure out milking.

In early game, I think I generally try to brew as much as I can, with the occasional small farm plot making a crop of food plants every other season. I buy whatever new kinds of booze I don't have, or am running low on from the caravan for the sake of variety. I also buy a bunch of the cheap meats, along with some of the exotic meats if I can afford it (Giant tiger roast anyone?).I also try to buy any foreign berries or plants to farm and brew and brew and farm until I have as many different kinds of alcohol as I can make.
How I usually build my fort.
We're all secretly mantises. Except that one guy. We're trolling the shit out of him.
Pages: [1] 2 3