Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Mad Honey  (Read 1465 times)

werechicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Mad Honey
« on: March 19, 2011, 04:10:47 pm »

This suggestion is that in evil regions bee hives should have a chance to produce poisonous honey.

This is based on real life. In certain regions of the world the honey produced by bees has a poisonous properties due to the nature of the local flowers. This honey was actually used as an effective means of poisoning invading soldiers by leaving deliberately badly hidden caches of this mad honey in the path of the opposing army, who would then gorge themselves on the honey and become completely incapacitated, leaving them vulnerable to counter attack.

I know it wouldn't have to much impact at the moment, but it could have a pretty cool impact in the army arc and also could make adventure mode more interesting.

The poisons effect could be that the victim is temporarily struck by melancholy

Edit: here's what wikipedia has to say about it
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mad_honey
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 05:41:15 pm by werechicken »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Mad Honey
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 04:23:27 pm »

Rather, you should be asking for ingested syndromes, which Toady has already mentioned in Talk 11.  He mentioned that cows will eat worm grass freely, but they should be suffering from the evil grass, and then mentioned that he should make ingestion a syndrome type.  Right now, you cannot poison food, it's always safe.  Even a barrel of booze with a contact syndrome that causes instant necrosis, is safe, because drinking isn't considered touching.  Once ingestion syndromes are added, then poison honey will be very easy, so will poison booze and food, and meat even.  It'll be fun to make evil creatures that cause slight nausea and dizziness when eaten, and leave out Poison Bulb Booze for bears to come, drink, and fall over.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 04:30:25 pm »

-makes notes to create evil gnomes which sneak into the booze stockpile and take an evil piss in the booze barrels causing evil syndromes-

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, 04:36:58 pm »

Urist has been unhappy lately.  He accidentally drank gnome piss recently.

Sounds like a gremlin thing as well though.  Blasted tricksters...

werechicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2011, 05:00:07 pm »

Actually I was saying that mad honey should be treated like a poison. It's made from certain flowers which have poisons in the nectar, you could even have it made by evil bees if that'd be easier.

Also I did say it wouldn't have much use at the moment other than extra detail.
After all who would want to knowingly eat honey made from evil flowers?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2011, 05:05:38 pm »

Probably the same people who knowingly go to retrieve a corpse covered in poisonous dust...

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2011, 05:40:24 pm »

Buzzin Bee thread.  The thread explored pretty much every idea you could possibly have with a bee.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

werechicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2011, 05:46:43 pm »

Buzzin Bee thread.  The thread explored pretty much every idea you could possibly have with a bee.
Curses and drat! Foiled again, though there's only one sentence on toxic honey. Plus depending how it's done it could be pretty easy to implement.

An evil type of bee makes mad honey instead of normal honey and everything else is the same

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2011, 05:47:53 pm »

I'd prefer mad honey to be a possible product from normal bees, but rarer.  1/4 of the time, that mead causes extreme dizziness for a few days.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2011, 06:48:53 pm »

I'd prefer mad honey to be a possible product from normal bees, but rarer.  1/4 of the time, that mead causes extreme dizziness for a few days.
Making it entirely random doesn't jive with the rest of Dwarf Fortress. To do this properly we must track every flower on the map from seedling to death and which flowers are visited by which bees and whether they make it back to the hive. Those flowers of evil nature, in evil biomes, or contaminated by something like the caustic blood of a forgotten beast would provide death nectar which would kill the hell out of dwarves who ate meals cooked with the honey.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2011, 06:50:51 pm »

Perhaps, except that bees don't visit flowers.  They just create honey out of thin air.

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2011, 09:55:25 pm »

I wish that honey from bees that get pollen from eyeball grass and the like would taste like evil and corrupt the flesh and soul.

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
  • My own avatar creeps me out.
    • View Profile
    • Not even internet famous
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2011, 10:12:05 pm »

I wish that honey from bees that get pollen from eyeball grass and the like would taste like evil and corrupt the flesh and soul.
With a slight after taste of cinnamon.
Slacker an illustrated story. Actually updated!?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2011, 11:03:00 pm »

With a slight after taste of children's souls.
Fix't

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2011, 12:36:21 am »

YOU DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES EAT THE MIND HONEY.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!
Pages: [1] 2