Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 18

Author Topic: You have found..  (Read 145736 times)

Turnoverman

• Bay Watcher
  • So how are you holding up? Because I'm a mushroom.
    • View Profile
    • Trope Overdosed - A Webcomic Dedicated To TVtropes.org
Re: You have found..
« Reply #165 on: July 11, 2011, 06:42:36 pm »

Suggestion: Train up an adventurer to such epic proportions that he can actually take on the demons in your fort, re-take your fort, and walk out of there with your masterwork adamantium sword in tow. Make him a swordsman, or the purpose would be lost. You should probably do it before you explode, though.

person5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: July 11, 2011, 10:34:03 pm »

I think the forum may want the save.  Awesome game, man.

noah22223

• Bay Watcher
  • No. you fucking lose.
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: July 11, 2011, 10:52:04 pm »

I once cracked hell.
What resulted was 1 hour of demons being slashed in half and skinned alive by dwarfs.
I have a hell outpost now.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWTFG3J1CP8
So I'm a Depressing Jesus Wizard being stalked by Satan Lights, and my home's wiring is going bad?
Goddammit.

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: July 12, 2011, 01:16:49 am »

I once cracked hell.
What resulted was 1 hour of demons being slashed in half and skinned alive by dwarfs.
I have a hell outpost now.

Yeah, my current 'badass' fortress did that. The few that came up I threw back down, and now they refuse to assault my base again. I'm currently building a small building down there, and anything with a pulse that isn't dwarven gets butchered.

As for wanting the save, sadly, I don't have Dragonwork anymore. A reclaim was tried after the one in this thread where I trained to legendary fighter and axedwarf, but the first two clowns murdered me hard. I finally just called it quits, haha. I'm currently trying to build a fortress on a glacier, but either undead yeti or [embarrassingly] trogolodytes keep killing my face off, cause I forget to embark with a fighter.
Dragonwork, A Successful Failure.
Legacy of Insightshields
Many more made tales in this hall,
before the stronghold found it's fall.
An enemy none could stop or yield,
had taken over Insightshields.

noah22223

• Bay Watcher
  • No. you fucking lose.
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: July 12, 2011, 01:19:41 am »

Imagine what the miner dorf must be thinking when they crack hell.
"Oh shi-"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWTFG3J1CP8
So I'm a Depressing Jesus Wizard being stalked by Satan Lights, and my home's wiring is going bad?
Goddammit.

Turnoverman

• Bay Watcher
  • So how are you holding up? Because I'm a mushroom.
    • View Profile
    • Trope Overdosed - A Webcomic Dedicated To TVtropes.org
« Reply #170 on: July 12, 2011, 01:31:03 am »

I would think it would be somewhat along these lines.

First time the civilization has ever discovered adamantine, and definately no HFS yet:
"Wow, this stuff is... amazing! I don't even have to try to get it out of the walls... it's... amazing!" *pick hits the last bit separating him from the hollow tube* "AHHHHHHH-" *dead*

First time the civilization has ever found HFS, but not the first time with adamantine:
"It's such an honor to be able to mine adamantine, so few dwarves ever get this priv-" *pick hits the last bit separating him from the hollow tube* "AHHHHHHH-" *dead*

Civilization has been to HFS, but never survived:
"I've heard the stories about adamantine, that it hides something too horrible for us to ever survive... but... this is my job. I have to mine it. Plus, who knows if the stories are eve-" *pick hits the last bit separating him from the hollow tube* "AHHHHHHH-" *dead*

Civilzation has been to HFS and back, and built an outpost:
"That other fort ain't so special, we're going to show them that not only they are strong enough to survive. We can do it too. I think I should be close to the tube now." *pick hits the last bit separating him from the hollow tube* "Taste our fury!" *murders the nearest few demons with his pick*

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: July 12, 2011, 01:56:08 am »

I think the opening animation is depicting exactly that, Turnoverman.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: July 12, 2011, 06:55:50 am »

I see there is a HUGE difference into turning events into XloreX, many have seen what was not meant for human dwarven eyes yet they did not get the recognition that they truly deserved.

This story, survives.

On another note, I can proudly say that even if klowns have the power to dominate whole civilizations with their mental intellect, who can rip apart whole armies with their "natural" abilities and razor sharp claws are vastly underpowered to dwarves.

The reason: Mining

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: July 12, 2011, 09:45:33 am »

This thread has been linked from TVTropes. It is, for all intents and purposes, immortal, as someone is bound to come by and revive this story yet again.

And the world is better for it.

you're welcome, heh.  this thread deserved it.

signed,
friendly neighborhood DFer and Troper

I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: July 14, 2011, 08:51:48 am »

I've noticed that, too. Sometimes I've had guys kill skeletons by smacking them in the arm. I think undead are fragile, and you only get "kills" on them when it's an attack that might actually kill something that isn't super weak.
Adamantine, Steel, Pig Iron, Iron, Bronze, Bismuth Bronze, Platinum, Brass, Black Bronze, Billon, Rose Gold, Electrum, Bismuth, Aluminum, Gold, Copper, Tin, Sterling Silver, Silver, Nickel, Zinc, Lead, Nickel Silver, Trifle Pewter, Fine Pewter, Lay Pewter.

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: July 15, 2011, 07:45:35 am »

Of all the threads I've read lately. Many threads, over many weeks. THIS. This was the one that finally made me start playing DF again.

I had stopped shortly before the military/medical updates. I heard a lot about how buggy and awkward the new systems were, and I felt too intimidated (or perhaps just too lazy) to deal with it. And life without DF gradually reclaimed me, until I didn't really want to play anymore, even pre-military versions.

But I've been getting the itch lately. Seems we're on a stable version right now. I've been looking for an excuse to take up the pickax again and strike the earth once more.

You helped me see the Fun again. Thank you, SpiralDimentia. :)
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: July 15, 2011, 02:18:00 pm »

My pleasure. :D
Dragonwork, A Successful Failure.
Legacy of Insightshields
Many more made tales in this hall,
before the stronghold found it's fall.
An enemy none could stop or yield,
had taken over Insightshields.

Mangled

• Bay Watcher
  • Sleep is for the weak.
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: July 18, 2011, 01:56:36 am »

Tvtropes brought me here, the story made me stay.

Lexx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: July 18, 2011, 03:57:19 am »

On the subject of DFstories. Where exactly is the link to register on the site to upload your own? I know it says to register an account but I cant seem to find a button to do that.

OniRyo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: July 22, 2011, 11:05:34 pm »

I just registered an account specifically to reply to this thread (although some how it got lost so I had to re-find it before actually replying o.O) Amazing stuff! Makes me want to start a new world just to write a story based around its rise and eventual downfall. Loved the story of the reclaim party, very well written and indeed "Losing is fun!" :D
This is the bottom of the post. Reading beyond this point is pointless. Seriously why are you still reading? Am I the last post on this thread or something? Then you should be replying instead of reading this! ....still reading? You were that baby who fell during that cave in weren't you? (sigh) Seriously, stop reading and start replying or move onto the next post. There is NOTHING of interest here... except the secret easter egg of <classified>. Pretty awesome huh? NOW MOVE ON ALREADY!!!
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 18