Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20

Author Topic: Request: Naga Sprites  (Read 24224 times)

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Request: Naga Sprites
« Reply #255 on: April 09, 2011, 04:15:30 pm »

OK, I know I just put one up, but I'm pretty proud of this one:

Alchemist

I decided to go with the "Temperance" tarot card theme - she has one flask full of water, and one flask full of fire, and they mix to create... purple stuff.  Presumably, this is to generate something to be compared against Sunny D.

Anyway, only five more sprites to go...

Only if I zoom in. Perhaps more darkness?

If she's darker, she'd be hard to see.  If she's not that creepy, it's not really that important, so long as she looks distinct enough that you can recognize her instantly.

Still, when I was looking at it, I tried to make that executioner hood thing, and it came out looking a bit like Candlejack. You know, from tha-
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: April 09, 2011, 10:40:32 pm »

OK, well, I have something up on DFFD, now.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=4177

Enjoy, guys.

Tell me if I messed something up with the graphics, I haven't really used these before, so I don't really know how they work.

EDIT:
Oh, and post some pictures of how they look in-game.  I won't have a chance to play with them for a little while, so I won't know :P
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 10:44:30 pm by NW_Kohaku »
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Radiant_Phoenix

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE_CLASS:MODDER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: April 10, 2011, 12:18:05 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Unfortunately, I accidentally embarked on a site without wood... Oops!

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: April 10, 2011, 01:23:01 pm »

Cool, rl has kept me a bit on the busy side this weekend. But I'll setup a fort or something either tonight or tomorrow when I get home and post some pics for you.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: April 10, 2011, 02:36:03 pm »

Radiant_Phoenix: Ah, cool.  That's Phoebus, I take it?  (heh, the stones look like gyoza.)

I'm going to need to actually set one of these graphics packs up at some point...

Anyway, tell me if you have any complaints or problems.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: April 10, 2011, 07:50:47 pm »

Just got home, and I'm looking for a site now. So it'd probably be tomorrow before I post some pics of the nagas in game. Just going to use dwarves though with the naga sprites. But whats the plans for the actual naga entity now?

Radiant_Phoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: April 10, 2011, 08:00:26 pm »

I don't know what the OP is doing, but I have my own creature and entity files for the nagas. I'm currently poking around trying to find the source of a crash that occurs with the second or third caravan.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: April 10, 2011, 09:45:27 pm »

I have my old lamias that I can throw together into a lamia (or naga) civ.

It was a part of the ambitious-but-abandoned Stonehall Alliance mod, where lamias were part of a caste in a very mixed-up civ.

They were all-female, so they needed to live with another species they could interbreed with to survive.

Anyway, I already have some altered body raws for them, and I have plenty of personality and attributes and habits and the like. 

I think I need some clothing specifically for serpentine bodies, and some mucking around with entities to make it all work properly.

Speaking of which, if I do put this thing together, what sorts of characteristics do you want out of naga civs?  (The female-dominated civilization? Any particular ethical leanings?  How warlike they are?  If they are giant and powerful or relatively normal and more comparable to dwarves so that they don't take away the game's challenge? etc.)
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: April 10, 2011, 11:24:40 pm »

Whewww... wow I went and found your stonehall thread and read your intro for it. Glad I brought my climbing gear for it (can of soda and a bag of chips), cause your walls of text put dwarven quantum walls to shame.

I'll also add that Age of Wonders was awesome, and I've on several occasions thought about modding in karaghs for the goblins (my favorite evil race in AoW) teehee. And I did like your idea of a fantasy kitchen sink for each of the races err alliances.

Anyways back on topic. I'd say they are female dominated, the male caste would probably be rarer than the females by quite a bit and maybe a bit smaller than the females. Also I don't know if you could do all female and have them reproduce at all. And besides got to be able to use the beefcake sprite afterall.

The body raws, well I'm not too good with those. Those have always confused me for the most part. Though I guess you could start them out at size 80,000 maybe 90,000, which would put them bigger than humans by a bit though I'd imagine their human halves were fairly close to the same size as a human, most of their increased size is in their tails. Maybe give them snake fangs with a mild venom (nothing major) and the forked tongues. Or if possible some sort of constriction attack, probably not possible though.

I'd imagine they'd just have the upper body stuff. Almost every naga/lamia in any story/game/whatever I've seen has left the snake half unclothed. Though we could invent some clothing/armour for them if you want. Leaving the tails unarmoured/unclothed might be a way to balance their increased size advantage too, though maybe thicken the scale layer a bit.

As for personalities, I'm sort of leaning towards Bleu. A bit lazy, and carefree considering their power. I'll probably think of some more characteristics later, though. It's getting kind of late and the alarm clock rings aweful early in the morning.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: April 11, 2011, 11:40:33 am »

Whewww... wow I went and found your stonehall thread and read your intro for it. Glad I brought my climbing gear for it (can of soda and a bag of chips), cause your walls of text put dwarven quantum walls to shame.

I'll also add that Age of Wonders was awesome, and I've on several occasions thought about modding in karaghs for the goblins (my favorite evil race in AoW) teehee. And I did like your idea of a fantasy kitchen sink for each of the races err alliances.

Anyways back on topic. I'd say they are female dominated, the male caste would probably be rarer than the females by quite a bit and maybe a bit smaller than the females. Also I don't know if you could do all female and have them reproduce at all. And besides got to be able to use the beefcake sprite afterall.

The body raws, well I'm not too good with those. Those have always confused me for the most part. Though I guess you could start them out at size 80,000 maybe 90,000, which would put them bigger than humans by a bit though I'd imagine their human halves were fairly close to the same size as a human, most of their increased size is in their tails. Maybe give them snake fangs with a mild venom (nothing major) and the forked tongues. Or if possible some sort of constriction attack, probably not possible though.

I'd imagine they'd just have the upper body stuff. Almost every naga/lamia in any story/game/whatever I've seen has left the snake half unclothed. Though we could invent some clothing/armour for them if you want. Leaving the tails unarmoured/unclothed might be a way to balance their increased size advantage too, though maybe thicken the scale layer a bit.

As for personalities, I'm sort of leaning towards Bleu. A bit lazy, and carefree considering their power. I'll probably think of some more characteristics later, though. It's getting kind of late and the alarm clock rings aweful early in the morning.

Well, I had my numbers here, too...

For the record, this was the code I had for lamias when I made them:

Basically, I made them fairly small (I'm actually a little surprised how small, relatively), so they would fit in more with the other castes they were living with. 

Their serpentine portions took up basically 3/4ths of their body length - they should have been about 10 feet long, so they would have had a "human" portion 2.5 feet long, basically being 5/6ths the size of a normal human (which I guess comes out about right compared to dwarves and the sidhe).

No idea if you were curious about or cared about those trait-based numbers, but there they are for my vision of them...

I basically have them as strong and fast, but with low stamina (mimicking actual snakes, whose low metabolism is their weakness and strength).  Mentally, they are possessed of great creativity and social graces, but are also impatient and lack the mechanical sense of the dwarves. 

Personality-wise, they are very social, creative, caring, and good leaders but also conniving, selfish, and potentially lazy.

Having the entire race like that would mean everyone's a chief, nobody's an Indian.  It kind of made more sense when they were just one caste trying to herd all the other cats.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Radiant_Phoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: April 11, 2011, 02:34:07 pm »

I gave mine this:
I also made them 50% larger than a human overall.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: April 11, 2011, 06:57:09 pm »

Mine are fairly small because they're too powerful otherwise.  65,000 size (as compared to 60,000 size dwarves), and their tail slam is extremely powerful.  I made their tails prehensile, so they can grapple with them, and you can pretty much crush the skull of a smaller creature when you constrict them.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: April 11, 2011, 07:15:37 pm »

Looking over what you have for their personality, I'd say you're pretty close to how I'm envisioning them too. So nothing really for me to say there.

As for the size thing, yeah the tailslam probably would be silly powerful on a larger naga. But if we leave the tail without clothing/armour, it is fairly vurnable to enemy weaponry as well as various fb fun. And I'm pretty sure a boa or anaconda could probably crush a larger creature than it, and most definately anything smaller, so thats not too unrealistic, though might take away too much challenge from the game I suppose. Don't want it turning out like 40d, and training up a squad of champion wrestlers to go godmode everything. Or maybe you could weaken the tailslam a bit, till it feels a little more even with the game.

Edit: Also leaving the tail uncovered would effectively nerf danger rooms, possible perk or not. I honestly don't care either way about them.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 07:17:29 pm by Patchy »

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: April 11, 2011, 07:29:25 pm »

Well, I had lamias with a "tail barding" that involved putting some chainmail or armor plates over the top of the tail held on with some bands.  It wasn't something that provided total coverage like a suit of platemail did, but it was enough that they weren't totally vulnerable, either. 

I think Girlinhat wanted to do something more fully protective than even that, however. 

It would be theoretically possible to have a non-flexible material capable of performing rectilinear motion.  It wouldn't be as efficient as normal, so you'd be slower, and tire faster, but you could have an armored underbelly and still move.  Think something like those metal wristbands on wristwatches that flex.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: April 11, 2011, 07:36:39 pm »

Could probably do it that way, maybe limit the armour you can put on the tail to chain or leather at most. Just kind of trying to avoid turning them into steel encased machines of death. Cause if we go with the larger than human nagas like Girl was thinking about, they might just get to be a little too powerful.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20