Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 20

Author Topic: Request: Naga Sprites  (Read 24199 times)

Interus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Request: Naga Sprites
« Reply #105 on: March 24, 2011, 11:15:03 pm »

Can you give the siege engineer a large scroll or something?  I'm thinking basically a piece of paper to serve as instructions for building the equipment, like a blueprint.  That might look fancier than a couple boards... or it might look like a white board instead of brown.  Just trying to provide another idea.

Also, I like the ideas in here, and personally, I prefer rectangular tilesets for their readability, and because a rectangular building looks more interesting than the same building when you see it's just a square.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 24, 2011, 11:41:55 pm »

But non-square tilesets mean that "taller" rooms look smaller than "wider" rooms.  Square for tilesets is the way to go, and someday Toady will fix the Truetype font support up real nice and you can have readability too.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 24, 2011, 11:55:19 pm »

Technically, the amount of space that a 5x4 and a 4x5 tile room takes up on the screen is the same, even with rectangular tiles.  It's just that one will appear more square-like. 

I've used 16x20 tiles long enough to have adjusted to the difference, but if I make those rectangular tiles, I'd just make two different sets, anyway.  (And might just stretch the existing tiles to make things easier on me when doing it.)
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 25, 2011, 12:59:28 am »

Hmm... I'm not happy about it, but I made a scroll that pretty much looks like Phoebus's scrolls.  A rolled-up scroll just didn't look good at all, there's no way to do it at that level of pixellation. 

Anyway, engineer, mechanic, seige engineer, seige operator, and pump operator (I'm not sure what to do for her, other than maybe give her a bandana or make her arms bulkier... or would a naga run a pump with their tail?)
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 25, 2011, 01:06:43 am »

Actually the scroll looks just like a rolled up scroll.  Doesn't need to be super detailed since it's so small on-screen.  I mean hell the faces are what... 4x4 pixels in size? Other than a dot for an eye, not much detail is needed.

That's why I love this game... your imagination must take over.

And your sprites are awesome. 

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 25, 2011, 04:44:23 am »

Hmm... I'm not happy about it, but I made a scroll that pretty much looks like Phoebus's scrolls.  A rolled-up scroll just didn't look good at all, there's no way to do it at that level of pixellation. 

Anyway, engineer, mechanic, seige engineer, seige operator, and pump operator (I'm not sure what to do for her, other than maybe give her a bandana or make her arms bulkier... or would a naga run a pump with their tail?)

Out of curiosity, what program are you using for these?  I'd like to make my own sprites for a mod I'm working on, but I don't think MSPaint will do alpha channels.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 25, 2011, 11:45:21 am »

Out of curiosity, what program are you using for these?  I'd like to make my own sprites for a mod I'm working on, but I don't think MSPaint will do alpha channels.

GIMP

Free, online, powerful.

It's just that it's hard to get used to its layout, but it's MUCH more user friendly than it used to be.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 25, 2011, 11:52:09 am »

It's no harder than Photoshop...

and a hell of a lot more legal to get for free over the internet ;)

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 25, 2011, 01:43:01 pm »

I kind of get the impression that Adobe never really cared, though...

Photoshop was so heavily warezed that the phrase "altering an image" was turned into "Photoshopped" as Internet shorthand, and they knew damn well that typical 12-year-olds making "Can I Haz Cheezburger?" images were not paying the $500 price tag on Photoshop.

I think that they just chose to ignore it, and let their market dominance functionally spread through the use of warezed copies, while they only really charged businesses the price for legitimately using their software. As long as they were the functional market kingpin because everyone used Photoshop (illegally or legally,) and nobody could compete with the functionality of Photoshop or its (functional) price, they retained market domination.

GIMP has had the "functions" of Photoshop for years, but it was just a terrible pain to use, with some button presses seemingly doing completely different things in different contexts that weren't clearly defined.  (I remember laying down gradients as being particularly infuriating because sometimes it would apply the layer, and other times it would just delete the gradient you just set out.) 

The fact that they are sweeping up all the user friendliness issues now, and making it (relatively) easy to use is what makes it truly compete with Photoshop. 

Incidentally, there's basically an entire 1-hour BBC nature documentary on snakes in six pieces.  Here's one on river snakes (eating crayfish): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrjR8URxdqU http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrjR8URxdqU

I need to look for these sorts of documentaries on YouTube more often...
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 01:56:15 pm by NW_Kohaku »
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 25, 2011, 07:45:03 pm »

I have a question: How much more variance do you want to see between further naga sprites, here?

I've basically been putting different hats on the same naga image for different job types and then putting something in their hands for specific jobs.

I could do more extensively different units than this, although it would take a bit longer, but it would also make the individual nagas look more unique.

Oh, and I've got woodworkers.

Carpenter.  Woodworkers are obviously more tan than some of the others, as I was thinking "woodcutters are basically the major go-outdoors types, along with the ranger types".  Of course, it's a little odd when the carpenter, who probably stays mostly indoors is also just as tan.  Maybe I should lighten her complexion a little, and make only the woodcutter have the deep tan?
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 25, 2011, 07:46:57 pm »

I have a question: How much more variance do you want to see between further naga sprites, here?

I've basically been putting different hats on the same naga image for different job types and then putting something in their hands for specific jobs.

I could do more extensively different units than this, although it would take a bit longer, but it would also make the individual nagas look more unique.

Oh, and I've got woodworkers.

Carpenter.  Woodworkers are obviously more tan than some of the others, as I was thinking "woodcutters are basically the major go-outdoors types, along with the ranger types".  Of course, it's a little odd when the carpenter, who probably stays mostly indoors is also just as tan.  Maybe I should lighten her complexion a little, and make only the woodcutter have the deep tan?

Who says Nagas are indoor creatures?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 25, 2011, 07:56:16 pm »

Hats are fine.  This is DF, after all, where you have to imagine the action more than watch it.  Tan woodcutter is fine too, for the same reason :P  I actually prefer the hat style, as it gives them a uniform appearance and you can quickly tell what's a naga and what's not.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 26, 2011, 12:59:43 am »

I went and made the woodcutter a little more tan than the others, and made carpenters and bowyers slightly paler who were already fairly tan.  I didn't change it much, but they were already fairly darkly tanned, so it seems fairly notable to me.  Maybe it's more subtle if I put the middle-shade generic woodworker in the middle. Especially since the green eyes stand out more.

Who says Nagas are indoor creatures?

I guess people who want them to be indoor creatures?

They're going to be playable, and you're going to be able to dig holes or build houses like a dwarf would, so if you want them to be, they are.  Of course, unless you honestly put no roof over a workshop (that works with wood? do you want it to warp in the rain?), then a carpenter should be indoors more often than a woodcutter should when they're working, anyway.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 26, 2011, 01:07:43 am »

Ok, you might have a point there.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 26, 2011, 05:26:25 pm »

Rangers.

Ranger, animal caretaker, animal trainer, hunter, animal trapper, dissector.

I had a little fun with the animal caretaker and animal trainer...  The animal trainer's little dog looks really stupid, but I want to keep it, anyway...
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 20