Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 20

Author Topic: Request: Naga Sprites  (Read 24216 times)

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Request: Naga Sprites
« Reply #75 on: March 22, 2011, 10:22:52 pm »

... now why didn't I think of that?
Sanity checks are for the sane. :P

Quote from: Things Mr Welch can no longer do in a RPG
1427. It is not a race to 0 SAN.

Oh, and hey, I made a ghost.

A sheet of what I have put together so far, minus the queen... Going along trying to make a match-up of Phoebus dwarves and nagas (rearranged them so the priests and ghosts were under the standards and children)

« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 10:46:53 pm by NW_Kohaku »
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 23, 2011, 04:20:53 am »

So, what's that?  Corpse, peasant, baby, child, drunk, then blank, priestess, more priestess, and, not sure about the last one?

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 23, 2011, 09:11:54 am »

The first one is an uncolored generic in case there isn't a proper sprite for something - Phoebus has one in the top left, as well.

On the bottom row is a ghost, a druid (in case they become part of a elven community, I guess), a priest, and a high priest.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 23, 2011, 09:21:28 am »

Ah-ha, looks good!

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 23, 2011, 11:48:52 am »

Posting mainly to follow. But these look really nice. Might have to give them a try when you two finish with them. Reminds me of Bleu/Deis from the Breath of Fire series hehe.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 23, 2011, 12:40:50 pm »

OK, here's how it looks when I start to customize that peasant to a job - I had to change the head to give her a hat (dropped the head a pixel to give room).  It's a mining hat with a candle on it to see.  Hue/saturation pencil makes palette swaps, even after doing shading, fairly easy.

I just hope it's pretty obvious that's a pick - I could make it bow more if I tried...

Posting mainly to follow. But these look really nice. Might have to give them a try when you two finish with them. Reminds me of Bleu/Deis from the Breath of Fire series hehe.

Yeah, I always liked that sort of character, so I think Bleu might have been a reason I liked a slightly stranger idea of nagas/lamias than most people had in their minds.  More of a capricious, scholarly mature woman with dangerous amounts of magic or power for her lack of responsibility.  (Of course, if we're talking about favorite characters, Patchouli sits at the top of the heap... where she is feeling dizzy from being so high off the ground.)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 12:44:57 pm by NW_Kohaku »
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 23, 2011, 02:02:55 pm »

Bah, distracting me with Patchouli thoughts is a bad idea... I came up with a bookkeeper image because of that...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I made two, one with a quill to make it more clear that the job's purpose is to record things, but it depends on whether you think it's too hard to understand which is a book or not.

"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 23, 2011, 03:01:28 pm »

Oh, I like lol. Patchouli naga, that is awesome.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 23, 2011, 03:22:23 pm »

That's definitely a pick, I recognized it as a miner before I read that.  The hat is a little odd, but cute!  And the bookkeeper (which is an odd word to type) looks better without the book.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 23, 2011, 10:31:40 pm »

And the bookkeeper (which is an odd word to type) looks better without the book.

Err... I hope you mean "quill", because they both have books...

(How do you express "bookkeeper" without a book?)

Did some quickie stoneworkers.  They wear belts with big leather pouches on them for their tools, and have a skirt flap, but their outfits show a bit of their stomachs. 

Masons are in the middle, and engravers are on the right.

Phoebus puts architects on the same row as masons, but I think they should dress a little differently, so I'm going to do a few things different, besides just giving them a level on basically the same sprite.

Oh, and swimming snakes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypg1FGde1GQ

I'm loving this BBC nature documentary channel...

More treeclimbing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eY-x2RQbxDk
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 11:24:36 pm by NW_Kohaku »
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 24, 2011, 09:28:07 am »

Yes, I meant "without the quill" because I can't type that late at night >.<

Masonry looks good, maybe make the engraver look a bit more like a chisel though?  A bit longer and thinner?

Also, I always imagined architects carrying a T-Square, mostly because I just love T-Squares...

Fortis

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected Elf Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 24, 2011, 09:57:46 am »

Hey, just wanted to say that these are looking really good. I've been working on a similar mod of my own off and on. Nothing that I might post though. But with your permission, I'd like to use these for it.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 24, 2011, 10:07:58 am »

I would point out that we'll (apparently) be releasing this as a full mod, so you could just grab it then, but I've got no problem with you using them.  Of course I think NW_Kohaku has the actual copyright (since copyrights are legally given at the time of creation) but the point is ultimately moot because once it's released, you could just grab the sprites and place them as your own mod.  As long as you don't, y'know, try and claim you made them :P

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 24, 2011, 10:11:03 am »

Well, looking for what an architect would look like... http://bumberazi.com/gallery/ down in the bottom of the page. Also, http://www.foscc.com/History/Architects/AWPugin.html

So they look fairly mid/working class, so making them look similar to the masons seems appropriate...

Hey, just wanted to say that these are looking really good. I've been working on a similar mod of my own off and on. Nothing that I might post though. But with your permission, I'd like to use these for it.

I don't particularly mind - it's not like I'm selling these to Girlinhat, anyway.  I'd just say that you should leave a note about whose work you used (and remember to include the notes of whose work other people used when they put together theirs) just so there's a record of where everything came from.

Some of these tilesets have pieces that were borrowed from people that borrowed from people that borrowed, and you can't tell where the original one came from, and it's hard to give credit at that point.

I would point out that we'll (apparently) be releasing this as a full mod, so you could just grab it then, but I've got no problem with you using them.  Of course I think NW_Kohaku has the actual copyright (since copyrights are legally given at the time of creation) but the point is ultimately moot because once it's released, you could just grab the sprites and place them as your own mod.  As long as you don't, y'know, try and claim you made them :P

Well, we want to encourage people asking permission before they take, if only as a courtesy.

EDIT:
Actually, I wonder if I should be making two versions of these images before I'm really off to the races...

I generally like to stretch my tilesets to be 16x20 or 16x24 - even though it breaks the whole "square" thing, the fact that it makes it MUCH easier for me to see or read anything makes that well worth it.

I could just do it for my own personal version of the tileset/graphics, but if there are others who want that sort of thing...
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 10:15:42 am by NW_Kohaku »
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Fortis

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected Elf Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 24, 2011, 10:23:47 am »

I don't particularly mind - it's not like I'm selling these to Girlinhat, anyway.  I'd just say that you should leave a note about whose work you used (and remember to include the notes of whose work other people used when they put together theirs) just so there's a record of where everything came from.

I'll certainly do that. Thanks
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 20