Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20

Author Topic: Request: Naga Sprites  (Read 24195 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Request: Naga Sprites
« on: March 19, 2011, 08:18:02 am »

So, I'm working on a full naga civ, that you can play as.  As expected, this takes up a lot of sprites, more than a generic "default" and "some weapon types".  Sadly, I'm pretty bad at the art things, and was wondering if anyone out there could whip up a handful of sprites for me?  Preferably, a sheet of sprites as big as the average dwarf sheet, but I'm asking for freebies so I can't very well complain :P

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Re: Request: Naga Sprites
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 10:47:45 am »

What size do you want?  I am promising absolutely nothing but I may find myself with some time to kill in the next couple of days.
Also known as Zuhayr.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 10:56:06 am »

16x16, should have specified.  Preferably something that meshes well with Phoebus, but again, I'm not picky :P

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, 12:28:57 pm »

Also promising nothing, but on the off chance I'm bored and want to do something constructive, what type of naga do you want? Completely human from the waist up with white skin and human-esque hair? Or all scales and no hair? Or all scales and green/snakeish hair?Or some other type/offshoot/mutation.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2011, 01:18:28 pm »

Very human.  Sort of a "rich tan" skin and brown/red hair to match their brown/red scales.  Very plain colors, none of the pretty stripes and whirls some snakes have, just long, sleek tails.  Maybe blond hair for the nobles, if you want to make them look a bit more "exotic" compared to common-folk, but otherwise shades of brown and red.  They're supposed to live in deserts, and blend with the sand and dark stones.

Sorry for my lack of detail with original post, shoulda thought of this earlier >.<

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2011, 02:31:27 pm »

I didn't do real graphics, but I have a lamia sprite from when I was doing Stonehall Alliance.

It's in the older .bmp format, too, since I made it back in 31.01.  If you want, I can do some work on it, make it into a proper graphics pack. 

Here's the full tileset I was working on at the time - I started by frankensteining some other tilesets, but I wanted to work my way up to making a completely original tileset, (those are elves and goblins on the far left, a third up from the bottom, for example) and then maybe going on to make a graphics pack.  I just got distracted and did all the suggestions forum stuff, instead. :P

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2011, 03:01:04 pm »

If you could make a full sheet for them that'd be awesome.  I got the fortress defense addon which has the graphics for several of the FD civs.  It has some naga sprites, but only a handful of weapon professions.  Something like that, expanded to include civilian jobs and nobles, would be great.

Once I get some good sprites, I'll work on this a bit more and post it.  The basic idea is to take vanilla DF, add a handful of weapons and armor, and make a whole new civ.  They're large creatures, larger than humans, and many of their weapons are too big for anyone else to use, with only the largest of the species able to single-hand a large weapon.  They're a somewhat noble race, prone to casual ways of life and unstressed living, with religious spheres around fertility, war, lust, order, and fate.  They're also smart, with access to steel and the ability to cover their whole bodies, including their tails, in full plate, making them extremely dangerous in combat, but their added size makes them vulnerable to pretty much any falling damage.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2011, 03:11:04 pm »

Very human.  Sort of a "rich tan" skin and brown/red hair to match their brown/red scales.  Very plain colors, none of the pretty stripes and whirls some snakes have, just long, sleek tails.  Maybe blond hair for the nobles, if you want to make them look a bit more "exotic" compared to common-folk, but otherwise shades of brown and red.  They're supposed to live in deserts, and blend with the sand and dark stones.

Sorry for my lack of detail with original post, shoulda thought of this earlier >.<

Hmm...

I remember not really liking Phoebus, sad to say - I never liked the symbols that were put on the things like coal or iron ores.  Taking a look, the goblins have pretty bulbous heads, but elves look really well done.  I can probably doctor something that looks like it fits in, there.

Are you sure you want everyone to have brown and red hair, though?  Making something like blond/yellow scale and hair colors for carpenters, etc, are a good way to distinguish characters. (Plus I think a green-haired, green-scaled snake-person with those brown patterns in both the scales and the hair would make for an interesting visual... It was something I wanted to do in my own mod, but if you really want a desert snake-person, then browns and reds it is.)

She's a farmer.  She has a hoe.

Anyway, you should give out a list of the sorts of weapons you want, and what jobs you want to see them having tools equipped with.

tinypic seems to want these images in jpg format, though, I might have to use dffd or something to make this work properly.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2011, 03:55:31 pm »

I'm not picky.  If you really want to give me green naga, I'll just make them river/ocean dwellers.  I haven't really gotten far enough into the idea to stick them in one biome.  River snakes has a certain appeal to it, really...  Hair color to specify job type is less than ideal, but we ARE dealing with 16x16 sprites here, so some compromises must be made, and it's a minor compromise anyways.

The icon looks good!  That, except add an axe for woodcutters, pick for miners, a gem for gem cutters, etc would look pretty hot.  Ideally, I'd want every weapon type, because you can't really forbid weapon skills.  If there's no sprite for whips, then when I steal a goblin whip it'll look weird when I'm using it.  I'd also prefer every job type, Phoebus is a good comparison because it has the overall "multitasking" job type, as well as individual jobs.  I noticed though, that there's a few classes of soldier, like "tax collector guard" that aren't used, but it may be worthwhile to make a sprite for them anyways, so that when/if tax collector is fixed, the data will already be there and no further changes will be needed.

Nobles are a little different though.  Understandably, they'll have a different society type, with a bit more emphasis on religion and warfare, so certain ones like the guild managers may not be essential, and the civilian hierarchy might only have 2-3 levels of "king", "chieftan", and "mayor" instead of all the various counts and barons and whatnot.  But I work well with what I've got, so a handful of official-looking sprites and I'll do fine figuring out what job to assign them to.  Do include some priest positions though, because when religion eventually gets included I'm gonna be all over that :3

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2011, 04:10:54 pm »

Hehee, layers to the rescue.  I made the hoe in a separate layer, so overwriting what's in her hands is fairly easy. 

I finally have a reason to reinstall GIMP after my hard drive blew up last Fall.

I went and made a new sprite for soldiers.  This is a spearnaga.  Her long hair is in a ponytail to fit into the helmet, and the shield is painted a red color with a yellow serpent upon it. 

I was going to make the spear angle downward, and have a metal haft, but it was impossible to tell the spear from the breastplate, and just looked really ugly, so I had to redraw it.

I'll mirror the other (civilian model) naga, so that her right hand holds the job-related tool, and warriors and civilians are more distinct.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 04:25:05 pm by NW_Kohaku »
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2011, 04:15:14 pm »

The snake on the shield is a nice touch, but perhaps a bit -too- much of a touch.  Still, looks awesome!  One nit-pick though, what about putting the spear down.  Instead of raised as if to strike, what if it's carried as if marching?  I had trouble noticing the spear at first because of the positioning.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2011, 04:47:40 pm »

I kind of like the notion of being a snake coiled and ready to strike... I'll try to make it more obvious of a weapon, though, and take the logo off the shield.

... actually, I think maybe keeping the logo there is best, it looks like a ruddy blob without the snake logo there.

Two options, there.  I went and slid the entire body over a pixel to the right to keep the hand a little further away from the body.

Want to give a more thorough description of nagas and what sort of nobles or relgious figures they have?  Are these LOLEvil nagas like goblins, or civilized nagas?  Should they have shamans with dragon skulls on their heads, or a nun's habit, basically?
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2011, 05:14:46 pm »

I prefer the first raised spear from the last post to the current raised spear look.  The thicker spear looks a bit odd.  The upright spear is my favorite of all, though perhaps put the ponytail on the other side so that she's facing to the left?

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2011, 05:32:09 pm »

mmmm.... that means redrawing the whole head.  *sigh*

Well, what about head size?  Goblins and dwarves have very large heads in Phoebus, while elves and humans have relatively proportional heads.  Do you want cartoony head sizes, or more realistic head sizes? If I'm redrawing this, might as well get that down, as well...

Also, what sort of religious peoples are they?  Should I make a nun's habit, a fortune teller/gypsy-looking priestess, a miko (Japanese), a naked-except-for-a-skull-hat shaman type, or wearing golden jewelry type of religious leader?
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2011, 05:34:44 pm »

I really like the naga as it is now, except the ponytail looks a bit odd with the weapon placement.  Can't you just cut it out and vertical flip it though?  Either way, it looks fine as it does, I like the smaller head size because it shows how long their bodies are, which is always good with a snake.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20