Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 20

Author Topic: Request: Naga Sprites  (Read 24191 times)

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Request: Naga Sprites
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2011, 06:35:08 pm »

Heh, I don't think you want me to flip that head vertically... Of course, in current raws, heads ARE attached directly to the upper body, and necks just hang off the head without being attached to anything, so that might be what's actually happening...

Here's one more try at just moving the right hand far enough over that the ponytail isn't in the way.

If I make the head go the other way, it makes the ponytail get blurred into the shield.  I could redo the shield, but I'd rather keep it this way. 

I think the ___lords might be better off looking like they're leaning closer, with their weapons overhead, coiled to strike more than the standard soldiers, so I want to work on that next, except maybe the royalty and priestesses.

If you're not going to pick a style of priestess, I'll just go with my own personal fancy at the moment I decide to take it up.  :P

Edit: Clearly, if we want to attract sucker adventurers to try to attack the naga communities, the naga priestess will need to be naked, except for a golden bikini and some braclets or beads.    ;D

Is this going to be a player race, or an invader type of race, anyway?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 06:42:15 pm by NW_Kohaku »
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2011, 06:43:05 pm »

Oh sorry, I totally forgot about the religion types :P  The idea is more... casual religion, I suppose.  Or more earthy.  There is a lack of strict religion, because they consider it simply there.  It's like studying stones.  There's no reason to prove the existence of a rock, because it's clearly there.  Similarly, they don't go flashy or importantly with religion, so no thick gold adornments or fine silks, unless everyone is wearing them.  More of an understood "He's a carpenter, she's an armorsmith, he's a priest.  A job is a job."  So, to that end, something more like... a simply white cover over the chest, leaving the shoulders and stomach bare.  Maybe purple, since that's the color of nobles, but other colors work well too.  Something skimpy though, they're meant to be a sensual, strong race.

As for soldiers, I like that look.  Most graphic sets change the color of the lords only, which is cool, but having them raised and poised sounds a lot cooler.  Different colored armor wouldn't hurt though, most use blue but a gleaming white/silver wouldn't look bad either.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2011, 06:52:12 pm »

Hmm... I was thinking of something like a dress, or at least skirts, since that's basically the article of clothing that makes the most sense on a creature with no legs if you want something billowy.  You can't see it very well, but I was thinking large, skirt-like Faulds as a good way to armor the hips/upper snake body.

Anyway, the weaponlords I wanted to make look like they're wearing full plate compared to the sort of "breastplate and chain mail" look of the soldiers.

Let me see what I can do...

Anyway, is this for a player race or an anagonist race?

Oh, and random thought - purple is the royal color, so obviously the royal family would selectively breed themselves to having the only purple scales and hair, right?  Maybe with an outfit that looks sort of like a cobra's hood, to be extra naga-y.

Man, this really makes me wish I had finished the Stonehall mod.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2011, 07:00:38 pm »

Both, I suppose.  It's meant to be full player race, but the player can always pick dwarf instead.  So it needs all the trimmings for a player race.

As for legs, I've got them currently wearing a "sleeve" for lack of better work.  It's pretty much sheets of ~3-5 inch wide strips, overlapping each other, with leather on the inside of each sheet keeping it bound to the sheet it's overlapping, so that it makes a long, flexible plate armor sleeve.  There's also a chain mail and leather version.  In sprite mode, it basically means making their tail armor-colored with some slits going lengthwise.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2011, 07:25:00 pm »

OK, the sort of full closed helmet that looks sort of like a cone or duck bill looks absolutely horrible when reduced down to 4x3 pixels.  It's like a grey lizard head all of a sudden.

I'll try to work something else out.  Maybe the "T" helm the humans in the Phoebus set use.  Or maybe naga weaponlords eschew helmets for something like a headband?

Likewise, multiple stripes of armor sleeves aren't going to show up well at all...  Even if I do it on a pixel-by-pixel fluctuation, it will just look like crap when you zoom out to the resolution you'd actually see everything on. 

This was why I had such a simple and plain looking old sprite for a lamia, it's not only easier to draw, it's the only way to even see anything.  5x5 pixels for a head, 2x2 pixels for a hand, and some vague shape of a body with some blank space for a tool to be carried. 

Phoebus sprites are almost certainly made at a different resolution, then shrunk down to their tiny 16x16 size.  They have detail that's impossible to even see. 

Well, I'll do what I can to get a proper weaponlord, then I'll try some palette swaps.  ("This is a recordkeeper naga... wears glasses from staring at books all day, and has blue hair and scales, and purple 'noble' robes.")
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2011, 07:32:44 pm »

I was afraid that would be the case.  Ah well, handle the tailguards as best you can.  You're the one doing it after all :P  Helmet-less lords might work.  I might also suggest shield-less, as they tend to use large two-handed weapons, except for the largest of the species that can one-hand these enormous weapons.  Shields don't serve naga as well as they would a regular creature anyways.  A big tower-shield would never cover an entire naga, making them much more reliant upon agility and armor than shields.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2011, 07:57:47 pm »

Heroic enough for you?  The headband has a coiled winged cobra on it, of course.

I can do a two-handed weapon version, too, of course.

I always liked the spear and shield combo for snakepeople - you coil up, defend, and then suddenly lash out and strike before coiling up and defending again.

Thing about the lamia from back in the Stonehall Alliance mod, they had more strength and agility, but had lower metabolisms, so they had no stamina and weak immune systems.  So they were better off in skirmish fights than drag-out fights.  Plus I did all sorts of other things to make them more socially deft and artistic and cunning and selfish than dwarves, but less mechanically-minded.  So, anyway, that's what's in my mind for the snakepeople sprites.

Hopefully, the noble snakepeoples won't be so finely detailed that it's almost impossible to see them.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2011, 08:14:30 pm »

Not bad!  Could use a -bit- less heroism, make it look more like a soldier "at the ready" rather than "charging forward".  And yeah, spears rock.  I'm planning to make them the main weapon for naga, along with a tremendous axe.  In fact though, the "legion spear" which only the biggest of the breed can single-hand, will probably have an axe-themed alternative attack.  It can either thrust, or slash with the edge of the tip.

I like that idea though, I might give them slower healing times, but I'm afraid that faster exhaustion would tip it against their favor.  After all, if there's a dozen goblins, they might hack through five, fall over exhausted, and get wiped.  If there's two dozen goblins, they should be overwhelmed, but I'd like for a super-soldier to be able to take on a squad solo.  If I can figure out skill tokens, I might give them a slower mechanics learning rate and higher art skills, like crafting and engraving, also weaving and dying.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2011, 08:23:45 pm »

I made a baby... although maybe it's too large for a baby.

Just for funsies, here's the stuff I have so far.

Evolution of a heroine?  (Although it still needs a "child" stage)

EDIT: Added child
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 08:40:09 pm by NW_Kohaku »
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2011, 08:33:18 pm »

That actually brings an interesting question.  Is there a baby?  I want them egg-laying, naturally, and if I remove the BABY type, they should hatch as CHILD, right?  I could replace the BABY state with the egg itself.  If so, then there's no real need for a baby/child sprite unless you just want to be thorough.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2011, 08:39:09 pm »

Well, I made the child.

What color egg should they have, then, the same orangey-red their scales are?  Or white? White with orangey-red freckles?
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2011, 08:44:06 pm »

I don't think it matters, because the egg is a regular egg in a nest box, it doesn't appear as a proper sprite.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2011, 08:50:32 pm »

Hmm.. I have an idea..
Make an egg, with a small hole in front, with two small yellow eyes inside.
Then a hole under the egg, with a snake tail poking out.
This way, you may see the baby-egg things crawling around when their mothers arent near.

Just a suggestion.  :P

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2011, 09:01:50 pm »

That's a bird-person, but something like that?
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2011, 09:20:50 pm »

Not exactly what I had in mind, but it was just a suggestion.
Not sure if my idea is what Girlinhat want.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 20