Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 36

Author Topic: Beginners' Mafia XXII [0/6, 1/3], POSTGAME: Mafia Won!  (Read 71937 times)

The King of Eggs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Beginners' Mafia XXII [7/7, 2/2], DAY 1: Lost and found
« Reply #90 on: March 25, 2011, 10:06:32 am »

IN ORDER TO SAVE ON QUOTE TAGS MY COMMENTS ARE GREEN

The King of Eggs, it could just be your different style of play, but you come off as heartless and overly defensive to me.  I mean WANTING a scumbuddy you can bus? Wouldn't you much prefer a scumbuddy who's just skilled? I SUFFER FROM PARRANOIR, I TRUST NO ONE NOT TO BUS ME FIRST.

So. You like questions?
(These are directed at The King of Eggs)
If you were a cop, who would you investigate, based on the day so far? JIM, HE IS A POWERFUL TOWN ALLY OR A POWERFUL MAFIA MEMBER, I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHICH
If you were a vigilante, (even though there can't be one), who would you kill? I WOULD TARGET JIM WITH THIS POWER ROLE ALSO, AS IF I CAN NOT BE SURE OF HIS ALLIGENCE THEN I CAN NOT CO-EXIST WITH HIM. OF COURSE VIG USSUALLY DON'T KILL N1, AND I FOLLOW THAT PRACTISE
Also, if you could elaborate on this:
basically i would pick someone i could if i needed to yes
I MEAN THAT I WOULD CHOOSE SOMEONE I COULD USE AS A DISTRACTION QUICKLY IF NEEDED

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #91 on: March 25, 2011, 10:29:51 am »

IN ORDER TO SAVE ON QUOTE TAGS MY COMMENTS ARE GREEN

The King of Eggs, it could just be your different style of play, but you come off as heartless and overly defensive to me.  I mean WANTING a scumbuddy you can bus? Wouldn't you much prefer a scumbuddy who's just skilled? I SUFFER FROM PARRANOIR, I TRUST NO ONE NOT TO BUS ME FIRST.

So. You like questions?
(These are directed at The King of Eggs)
If you were a cop, who would you investigate, based on the day so far? JIM, HE IS A POWERFUL TOWN ALLY OR A POWERFUL MAFIA MEMBER, I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHICH
If you were a vigilante, (even though there can't be one), who would you kill? I WOULD TARGET JIM WITH THIS POWER ROLE ALSO, AS IF I CAN NOT BE SURE OF HIS ALLIGENCE THEN I CAN NOT CO-EXIST WITH HIM. OF COURSE VIG USSUALLY DON'T KILL N1, AND I FOLLOW THAT PRACTISE
Also, if you could elaborate on this:
basically i would pick someone i could if i needed to yes
I MEAN THAT I WOULD CHOOSE SOMEONE I COULD USE AS A DISTRACTION QUICKLY IF NEEDED
[/caps]

Okay then, mister "parranoir", you seem to want to target Jim a lot. Any particular reason for that, other than him being experienced? Because vigging a powerful Town player seems like a really bad idea in my book. I'd rather eliminate someone that looked suspicious. Because you can always lynch a guy, but vig kills are limited until the vig dies. Coexisting with your fellow players is the best way to victory, anyway. If you don't want to coexist, then you don't want the Town to exist. You seem to want to eliminate a powerful Town player, any particular player has a higher chance to be Town than scum. Not to mention that you are completely ignoring Toaster, the other "powerful" player.

Ah, a distraction. Well, I would think that calling your scum buddy nothing but a "distraction" a little rude, don't you think? Bussing is a fairly major scumtell as well. Having a backup plan doesn't really make any sense, anyway. The only time you'd want to "quickly" use a distraction is when you're in danger of being lynched, and then you just gave away BOTH the scum players, instead of just yourself. Which is something that scum definitely does not want.

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 25, 2011, 11:30:52 am »

Jim Groovester: I would probally inspect the person making the most accusations of other people.

Supercharazard: Who do you think would be the most dangerous as scum in this game?

Toaster and Jim, because they are the most experienced.

Supercharazard, what do you think of lurking as a strategy?

It's a terrible strategy, even if you are confirmed townie, there are some who'd go with a policy lynch because you were lurking.

Be a little more accommodating to our non-nocturnal and/or European friends, yeah? :P

Northern Irish, actually. He posted it about half an hour before I awoke, and I don't check my computer in the mornign before going to school.

Now, for the fun bit:

CrownofFire

What was that? Did you fail at quoting?
What do you think is the worst case scenario for roles?

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 25, 2011, 11:31:30 am »

Wait, that wasn't clear, I meant what the worst case scenario would be for town, as in, the one most likely to cause us to lose.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 25, 2011, 02:28:56 pm »

CrownofFire, bussing is actually a legitimate scum strategy. It might not be the nicest strategy, but being nice doesn't win games. Unwillingness to vote your scum partner, especially if he's a sinking ship, is usually a more visible scum tell than bussing him.

JIM, HE IS A POWERFUL TOWN ALLY OR A POWERFUL MAFIA MEMBER, I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHICH

. . .

I WOULD TARGET JIM WITH THIS POWER ROLE ALSO, AS IF I CAN NOT BE SURE OF HIS ALLIGENCE THEN I CAN NOT CO-EXIST WITH HIM. OF COURSE VIG USSUALLY DON'T KILL N1, AND I FOLLOW THAT PRACTISE

You should never automatically suspect anyone just because of their experience.

(Yes, OMGURS)

And why is that a good reason?

Also how can you say that I have not been promoting conversation? Have you seen the back and forth here? Plenty of evidence here ... of what, is the question.  May I recommend you stop trying to pick at other players. You like Questions? Fine then, Who do you consider to be Scum and why? Jim Groovester

Picking at other players has another name: scumhunting. Maybe you should learn how to do it sometime instead of telling people to stop.

I don't have any scum picks yet. It's too early in the game.

Is there any special reason why you suspect me? Or why you say you suspect me.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 25, 2011, 03:51:52 pm »

Bdthemag, who would you want to be scum in this game?
I wouldn't know, since i've never played mafia with anyone here.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 25, 2011, 04:07:23 pm »

I asked you a clarifying question here that I want answered.

Jim Groovester: I would probally inspect the person making the most accusations of other people.
And why is that?
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 25, 2011, 04:09:45 pm »

Sorry about the last post, seems I forgot the [/quote] part...
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 25, 2011, 04:11:20 pm »

Less apologies, more question answering.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 25, 2011, 04:21:32 pm »

Just got home from school. I live in EST, and my school lets out crazy late. Ima scan for posts about me, then read the rest of the stuff. Let's see what we got here.
Breadbocks, Out of all the new players here, who do you think would make the worst scum?
I think TKoE. He'd need to pick up on local playstyle quite fast to not seem scummy, because IIRC, passivity can seem scummy here.
Breadbocks, if you were a doctor, who would you protect?
Hard to pinpoint. If I were the doctor, I'd pick either the second best scum hunter, or the best scumhunter, depending on how experienced the person I think is scummy is.

Now. First day has, from my experience, been the most important day for getting scumtells. I'm going to preemptively put my vote into Extend. Also, Votecount?
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 25, 2011, 04:25:00 pm »

An extension isn't really necessary right now. The day ends on Tuesday. That's plenty of time if you're around to use it.

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 25, 2011, 04:51:17 pm »

Just got home from school. I live in EST, and my school lets out crazy late. Ima scan for posts about me, then read the rest of the stuff. Let's see what we got here.
Breadbocks, Out of all the new players here, who do you think would make the worst scum?
I think TKoE. He'd need to pick up on local playstyle quite fast to not seem scummy, because IIRC, passivity can seem scummy here.
A fair enough explanation of your absence, considering your average posting times.

Unvote Breadbocks

Heliman, what do you think is the biggest scumtell in mafia?
A scum role-revealing that he is scum would probably be the biggest scumtell ever, the scum won it anyway and there was no jester.
Aside from that specific scenario, the biggest scumtell? Probably when a player becomes really, really pissed after only being pressed slightly. Come to think of it, it's exactly like what is happening to Egg right now. It's very curious, bearing in mind that he considers himself experienced to begin with.

Curious enough for me to want to see what happens when he's pressured further, at least.

Vote King of Eggs
Eggs. Are you typing in caps lock for any particular reason besides childish rage? It isn't exactly cruise-control for cool, you know.

You've missed the whole point of my opening post, which is that you shouldn't doubt the impartiality of my advice. I'm going to give it to you even if it works against me, because, for me, the purpose of the game isn't to win but to teach all of you. I will never give advice in bad faith. Is that clear? You need to answer this, because if you don't, I am going to have a very difficult time teaching you and you are going to have a very difficult time learning.
I'm not questioning the validity of the point in any way, shape or form. I realize that ICs are obligated and indeed happy to post advice that can only aid the reader, regardless of the recipient and I greatly respect both you and your position in this mafia game.

However, I'm afraid that I cannot lower my FoS just yet (and admittedly, it would even be upgraded to a vote-press if Egg wasn't acting so darn suspicious now and I wasn't waiting for breadbocks to answer my question earlier.) Your advice, while essentially immune any and all Protown/Proscum related critique, should not be immune to accusations of Freudian slips, which is an entirely different ballpark, and is what I'm suspicious of you for. Instead of viewing it as a staunch refusal of your advice, think of it as having someone accept and even be eager to hear your ideas, but on the flip-side is also looking doing an in-depth analysis of all your diction. Your role here still carries with it a 2/9 chance of being scum, and if you are scum, it wouldn't be a good game for us beginners if you gave yourself up. If this isn't how I should be scum hunting an IC, Tell me, how else can I?

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 25, 2011, 04:56:16 pm »

it would even be upgraded to a vote-press if Egg wasn't acting so darn suspicious now and I wasn't waiting for breadbocks to answer my question earlier

Actually, you probably should have ignored Egg for the ime being, do the press vote and before tuesday, change your vote to Egg. As Jim has told me and others countless times before (him or someone else, I think it's him) "it's not like you can't change it".

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 25, 2011, 05:00:24 pm »

Huh. Well, Seph, after a few tries, random.org says you. (It seems random.org wants me to vote myself. Badly. 3 times. In a fucking row.) So. You've stated something about how you are a sub-par scumhunter.
Well, I'd want to be a Cop, as my scumhunting skills are lacking. It'd help the town
Why would you want to have a power role when you claim to be unable to scumhunt well? Because a cop is a powerful role, and to use it to glide by because you can't scumhunt the normal way is less than spectacular.

On the other hand, if a non-IC may comment, it seems like you are more than capable of holding your own in a BM, at the least. Like the OP says, don't go hating on yourself.

Heli, mind quoting your post at me? I missed it, I think.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 25, 2011, 05:06:40 pm »

Addendum: Sorry, it seemed like that comment on waiting on my reply was present tense, not past tense.

Also, Super, he seems like he is more trying to vote-press Egg before he goes to Jim. It didn't come across as a "You're scum" vote so much as a "Explain yourself, and here's an incentive" vote. However, Heliand Egg, I'll be watching this volley closely.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 36