Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 36

Author Topic: Beginners' Mafia XXII [0/6, 1/3], POSTGAME: Mafia Won!  (Read 71867 times)

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: Beginners' Mafia XXII [7/7, 2/2], DAY 1: Lost and found
« Reply #75 on: March 24, 2011, 11:57:03 pm »

Well CrownofFire (Yes, OMGURS) as for my prefferd Scum buddy, I would, from this pool of humanity, choose a scapegoat actually.

Don't you have a question you want to ask CrownofFire?

That would be good.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 25, 2011, 12:21:45 am »

And why is that?

An answer by itself usually isn't enough. You want to tell everybody why. This reveals your thought process, which is what people want from you, and if you're town, is what you want to communicate to everybody. If you are aggressive and interested and active in finding scum, and your answers reflect this, then you will be considered town.

Unfortunately it won't be immediately apparent what sort of thoughts are supposed to be in your head to make you aggressive and interested and active in finding scum. That comes with experience. Just be bold.
While I'm still awake, a big FoS on Jim Groovester for the bolded text in this quote. Groovester's tone in that sentence sounds as if he's speaking from the point of view of a scum, rather than an "impartial source of advice." This is especially odd considering the stressed neutrality of his words in his previous sentence.

I'm not saying that it isn't Pro Town, but it sounds off.

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 25, 2011, 12:23:22 am »

EBWODP: Jim Groovester.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 25, 2011, 02:03:00 am »

Oh, is that what you think?

Very well. I shall step aside. Heliman will be your IC because he clearly knows all there is to know about the game of mafia.

You've missed the whole point of my opening post, which is that you shouldn't doubt the impartiality of my advice. I'm going to give it to you even if it works against me, because, for me, the purpose of the game isn't to win but to teach all of you. I will never give advice in bad faith. Is that clear? You need to answer this, because if you don't, I am going to have a very difficult time teaching you and you are going to have a very difficult time learning.

Now, about the point you brought up: it actually is good advice. If you are town, you don't want to waste everyone's time by making yourself a suspect. You have better things to do. But how do you not make yourself a suspect? By being active and aggressive and interested in finding scum. Isn't it amazing how the same things that help you find scum are the same things that make you look town?

I'm going to commend you for your instincts. You saw something odd, and you brought it up. You were wrong, but that's besides the point. You did exactly the sort of thing I want to see out of a new player. So keep asking questions anytime you see something odd.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

major_sephiroth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 25, 2011, 02:07:33 am »

First off, Unvote.
major_sephiroth:  What do you hope to get out of this game?  If you could pick one of the four possible power roles (Cop, Doctor, Godfather, or Roleblocker), which would you pick?  Why?
Well, I'd want to be a Cop, as my scumhunting skills are lacking. It'd help the town - assuming I could convince the town of my results. Godfather is a close second, due to it being a goldmine of WIFOM.

More random votes.
Breadbocks, if you were a doctor, who would you protect?

And some questions for people:
Supercharazard, what do you think of lurking as a strategy?

Bdthemag, who would you want to be scum in this game?

Heliman, what do you think is the biggest scumtell in mafia?

The King of Eggs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 25, 2011, 02:35:29 am »

King of Eggs:  You've said you're experienced from elsewhere.  Can you give a brief summary of the style of play from your experience?

For a start I don't believe in the shot-for-shot style of RVS expressed by Jim.

Well CrownofFire (Yes, OMGURS) as for my prefferd Scum buddy, I would, from this pool of humanity, choose a scapegoat actually.

Don't you have a question you want to ask CrownofFire?

That would be good.

Clearly I do not have a question for him? If I had wouldn't I have asked one?

Good for whom exactly?

RVS, I believe; feel free to correct me on this since you ‘knows all there is to know about the game of mafia’; stands for Random Vote Stage… yes? Then requiring a structured response seems counter intuitive.

Sorry if i wandered a bit there.

My style of play revolves around finding the motivations behind seemingly irrelevant posts. As you may have noticed I am rather aggressive some times. I apologise for any offence this may cause in advance.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #81 on: March 25, 2011, 03:35:35 am »

I'd like to add to and sort of extend Jim's post and say that everybody is considered scummy at some point in the game (and if they aren't, they should). Your job is to look like you're Town, no matter what side you're on. The more you look Town, the less likely you are to be lynched, and the more likely somebody ELSE will be lynched. Both of which are good no matter what side you're on. Everybody is viewed as scum by the Town, even other Town. Mafia is a game of suspicion, not investigation. Everybody is guilty until proven innocent, including you and me. The Town players try to confuse people to find a scum-slip. The scum are trying to do the same to throw suspicion off themselves, and to mimic the Town. Don't get confused by anybody. If you're scum, that means your death. If you're Town, that means time is wasted chasing you. (This is meant as a friendly piece of advice. I am not the most experienced, take all of this with a grain of salt)

RVS, I believe; feel free to correct me on this since you ‘knows all there is to know about the game of mafia’; stands for Random Vote Stage… yes? Then requiring a structured response seems counter intuitive.

Sorry if i wandered a bit there.
I believe the point behind it is that the setup is random. So there's no point in going after somebody specific (that'd be bringing feelings over from the metagame). The questions are really meant as prodding, to get people to break down or slip up. And because you have no idea who the scum is, you go after a random person. And of course, since the scum wants to act like Town, they follow suit. Any kind of question can be enough to get some people to crack.

And continuing on, it appears that supercharazard and breadbocks are the only ones that have yet to post. As long as they at least show up, we're good.

But until then... Toaster, nobody's picked on you yet. You and Jim are to be mentors here, but at the same time trying to further your own goals as Mafia or Town. How would you see that interfering with your goals if you were scum? If you were scum, how far would you go to advise the players versus ensuring your own victory as the Mafia? What if Jim were the other scum? (This is also partially to Jim as well)

(By the way, I try to bold names when I mention one, for easy reference)

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 25, 2011, 04:35:14 am »

I'd like to add to and sort of extend Jim's post and say that everybody is considered scummy at some point in the game (and if they aren't, they should). Your job is to look like you're Town, no matter what side you're on. The more you look Town, the less likely you are to be lynched, and the more likely somebody ELSE will be lynched. Both of which are good no matter what side you're on. Everybody is viewed as scum by the Town, even other Town. Mafia is a game of suspicion, not investigation. Everybody is guilty until proven innocent, including you and me. The Town players try to confuse people to find a scum-slip. The scum are trying to do the same to throw suspicion off themselves, and to mimic the Town. Don't get confused by anybody. If you're scum, that means your death. If you're Town, that means time is wasted chasing you. (This is meant as a friendly piece of advice. I am not the most experienced, take all of this with a grain of salt)

This is mostly correct. I disagree that people are guilty until proven innocent; the burden of proof to show a person is scum lies upon the attacker, not the defender. More than a few people have fallen to the trap that since a person can not prove they are town, they must be scum. That line of thinking never works. Find good reasons by yourself and nail people for them; don't rely on other people to fail to defend themselves.

Your emphasis is misplaced.

It's the Random Vote Stage. Random votes are the basis, but to say the whole thing is random is stupid. It's not an incredibly helpful stage of the game but you are greatly misled if you think you can't get anything useful out of it.

Asking hypothetical game related questions to everyone in the game is the best course of action. Anything else is a waste and a misuse.

My style of play revolves around finding the motivations behind seemingly irrelevant posts. As you may have noticed I am rather aggressive some times. I apologise for any offence this may cause in advance.

I hope that's not all you're going to do. And I hope that you're not going to sit on your hands and wait for seemingly irrelevant posts to come around.

Clearly I do not have a question for him? If I had wouldn't I have asked one?

Good for whom exactly?

Good for you, of course. Asking hypothetical questions is a good way to stay active in the beginning stages of the game. Activity is important, you know.

If you don't have a question for CrownofFire then why are you voting him? Reasonless votes are suspicious even in the RVS.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #83 on: March 25, 2011, 05:42:32 am »

This is mostly correct. I disagree that people are guilty until proven innocent; the burden of proof to show a person is scum lies upon the attacker, not the defender. More than a few people have fallen to the trap that since a person can not prove they are town, they must be scum. That line of thinking never works. Find good reasons by yourself and nail people for them; don't rely on other people to fail to defend themselves.
I mean it in more of a general sense, really. While you're convinced that particular person is scum, everybody is probably thinking that there's somebody else who is more likely to be scum. It's more of a sense of that at first, you have zero reason to believe anybody isn't scum. So... I don't know.

Anyway, it just occurred to me as a shorthand way to refer to what I was thinking. The fact that it's 3 AM might have something to do with it too. Tired is a bad place to be when playing Mafia.

The King of Eggs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 25, 2011, 05:43:28 am »

Do I really need to quote myself?

And again for emphasis

Well CrownofFire (Yes, OMGURS) as for my preferred Scum buddy, I would, from this pool of humanity, choose a scapegoat actually.

Also how can you say that I have not been promoting conversation? Have you seen the back and forth here? Plenty of evidence here ... of what, is the question.  May I recommend you stop trying to pick at other players. You like Questions? Fine then, Who do you consider to be Scum and why? Jim Groovester

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #85 on: March 25, 2011, 06:21:55 am »

I do have to say that an OMGUS vote is kind of pointless in the RVS. There's literally nobody with more than one vote on them (except breadbocks, but he hasn't been here to answer anybody, so he doesn't really count). Picking at players is a huge part of Mafia, as I understand it. You pick and pick until finally they slip or crack (or both). If they don't, you move on until you find somebody that does.

And you never did answer my second question, The King of Eggs. I advise ye answer, lest ye be hung! (Posting while tired leads to strange results)
So in other words, you would choose somebody that you could easily bus?

The King of Eggs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 25, 2011, 06:48:43 am »

Sorry kinda missed your question. basically i would pick someone i could if i needed to yes

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #87 on: March 25, 2011, 07:04:39 am »

Sorry kinda missed your question. basically i would pick someone i could if i needed to yes
So you would pick a person that looks scummy on purpose? Or maybe a person that isn't good at acting non-scummy?

Because otherwise, that could literally apply to anybody. I don't see a reason why you couldn't bus anybody unless the Town was convinced they weren't scum (which is fairly unlikely).

major_sephiroth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 25, 2011, 07:07:01 am »

The King of Eggs, it could just be your different style of play, but you come off as heartless and overly defensive to me.  I mean WANTING a scumbuddy you can bus? Wouldn't you much prefer a scumbuddy who's just skilled?

So. You like questions?
(These are directed at The King of Eggs)
If you were a cop, who would you investigate, based on the day so far?
If you were a vigilante, (even though there can't be one), who would you kill?
Also, if you could elaborate on this:
basically i would pick someone i could if i needed to yes

On another note:
Supercharazard and Breadbocks.
You two need to start posting. I've asked both of you questions in an earlier post. Answer them.

On yet another note:
Crown's got a point there - the other scum are there to help you, not for you to be a hero.

Woo questions all round! Mostly.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #89 on: March 25, 2011, 07:14:31 am »

On another note:
Supercharazard and Breadbocks.
You two need to start posting. I've asked both of you questions in an earlier post. Answer them.
Hey, give them a break, it's only been 5 hours. Not to mention you posted at midnight my time, which is around 3 AM their time; assuming they're on the east coast US, which seems to be the case on their profiles. Be a little more accommodating to our non-nocturnal and/or European friends, yeah? :P
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 36