Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 36

Author Topic: Beginners' Mafia XXII [0/6, 1/3], POSTGAME: Mafia Won!  (Read 71940 times)

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
Re: Beginners' Mafia XXII [4/7, 1/2]: Halfway there!
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2011, 03:46:59 pm »

TKoE has 27 posts across the entire boards. 19 or so of them are in one thread in OG, 7 are in the dfm forum, and one is here.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2011, 03:49:51 pm »

TKoE has 27 posts across the entire boards. 19 or so of them are in one thread in OG, 7 are in the dfm forum, and one is here.

How is this relevant?

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2011, 03:53:55 pm »

How is this relevant?
Just pointing out that he would probably be a bad IC. Just a guess, though.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Ottofar

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, spinning?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2011, 03:55:30 pm »

It wouldn't matter if he'd played on MafiaScum or somesuch. Here, we're much more aggressive.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2011, 03:56:47 pm »

It wouldn't matter if he'd played on MafiaScum or somesuch. Here, we're much more aggressive.

Are we?

Ottofar

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, spinning?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2011, 04:00:45 pm »

Yeah.

Because they lynch you if you're  aggressive.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2011, 04:02:36 pm »

I personally feel that there's different kinds of aggression, some lynch-worthy and some not.

In any case, panicking is always a scumtell, whether it shows aggressively or calmly.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Jack A T

• Bay Watcher
  • Mafia is What Players Make of It
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2011, 04:03:08 pm »

Yeah, there are huge differences between Bay 12 mafia and mafia at many other places.  I recommend reading through Supernatural 3, when it comes to that.
Quote from: Pandarsenic, BYOR 6.3 deadchat
FUCK YOU JACK
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris, Witches' Coven 2 Elfchat
YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.
Screw you, Jack.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2011, 04:08:02 pm »

Yeah, there are huge differences between Bay 12 mafia and mafia at many other places.  I recommend reading through Supernatural 3, when it comes to that.

When I was playing at xkcd, folks actually asked me if I was from Mafiascum >_>

Over there (on the xkcd boards), the first stage is always to speculate about flavor and game mechanics/strategies, rather than asking each other questions.  It's kind of interesting, because they end up playing a lot of themed setups and pretty much nothing that was ever vanilla-vanilla.  Even their beginner's games would have things like millers.

I managed to peg the scum after their first post on the first day of the game, but I seem to have pissed a lot of people off in the process.  Frankly, I really prefer our behavior-heavy analysis to their methodologies.  It helps, though, that none of them seem to have any idea about how to play scum.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2011, 05:31:57 pm »

Oh yeah, Bay12 strategies are basically the Clenched Arsehole of scumhunting. It's like trolling made OK because of the circumstances.

BTW vector I'd totally like to look at that XKCD mafia game, if you still have a link.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2011, 05:52:01 pm »

Here.

I had to quit partway through, but man... I had that thing pegged.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2011, 06:41:48 pm »

When I was playing at xkcd, folks actually asked me if I was from Mafiascum >_>

Over there (on the xkcd boards), the first stage is always to speculate about flavor and game mechanics/strategies, rather than asking each other questions.  It's kind of interesting, because they end up playing a lot of themed setups and pretty much nothing that was ever vanilla-vanilla.  Even their beginner's games would have things like millers.

I managed to peg the scum after their first post on the first day of the game, but I seem to have pissed a lot of people off in the process.  Frankly, I really prefer our behavior-heavy analysis to their methodologies.  It helps, though, that none of them seem to have any idea about how to play scum.

Did we end up like this for any particular reason?

What were the xkcd methods, then?

Thanks for the link, it'll be interesting to see how they do it there. Maybe I'll play a game there too.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2011, 06:50:54 pm »

As far as I can tell, it was a combination of Dakarian, Webadict, and Alexhans, and maybe a little bit of my reading strategy.  Mostly the first three, though.

XKCD... I never played long enough over there to really understand them, but as I said, it was mostly about the immediate speculation and "Okay, how are we all going to as a group decide to manage this situation."  I think we're more individualistic over here.  They also don't employ an RVS of any sort.  Ever.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2011, 06:59:09 pm »

HERESY

Anyone want the IC position, by the way?

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2011, 07:25:30 pm »

Eh sure, IC me up again.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 36