Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 36

Author Topic: Beginners' Mafia XXII [0/6, 1/3], POSTGAME: Mafia Won!  (Read 71860 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Beginners' Mafia XXII [7/7, 2/2]: Signups closed!
« Reply #60 on: March 23, 2011, 01:42:46 am »

I'm known?! From where, may I ask?

We played some games together, of course!  A couple of BMs and Josh's Weirdo Mafia <3  I think we were in BMIV, probably BMII and BMIII as well~
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

major_sephiroth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 23, 2011, 02:14:02 am »

I checked and you're startlingly accurate!
We were both in BM's 2 and 3, as well as weirdo mafia. Maybe that vote mafia I was in too.
Vector is memory ninja!

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 23, 2011, 02:31:14 am »

We were both in BM's 2 and 3, as well as weirdo mafia. Maybe that vote mafia I was in too.
Vector is memory ninja!

Hohoho, but of course!  I have to remember everyone, so that when you're scum I'll know what to look for <3
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

The King of Eggs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 23, 2011, 04:54:42 am »

Vector is memory ninja!

Hohoho, but of course!  I have to remember everyone, so that when you're scum I'll know what to look for <3

;D Yay

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #64 on: March 24, 2011, 12:46:31 am »

Hey, lordnincompoop, you seem to have an unfulfilled promise. Anything you'd like to say about that?

(Woo, blatant bandwagon!)

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 24, 2011, 08:05:18 pm »

Day 1 Has Begun!

Votecount:
Heliman - 0 -
Supercharazard - 0 -
Bdthemag - 0 -
Breadbocks - 0 -
CrownofFire - 0 -
The King of Eggs - 0 -
major_sephiroth - 0 -
Jim Groovester - 0 -
Toaster - 0 -

Not Voting - 0 -
No Lynch  - 0 -

Extend  - 0 -
Shorten  - 0 -

You cough the water out of your lungs as you open your eyes and rise from the beach.
   Your clothes are ragged, your body aches and the sun feels scorching on your back. You’ve no memory of what happened before, and how you got here. The last thing you remember is being at home, and a knock on the door, and then… You feel a cold shiver come down your spine. It seems whatever happened that brought you here doesn’t want to be remembered.
   As you rise up on your feet and take a look around you, you feel a glimmer of hope as you see eight other people wash up on the glimmering white sand banks. It’ll be a while until they rise. Just a bit further in-land you see a circle of moss-covered stones – perfect to spend the night – and some forest.
   Wait, perhaps – you spin around and fall with a thud to look toward the horizon, but no. Nothing. There’s no sign of what brought you here, and the plane – was it a plane? – has probably sunk into the ocean by now. You’ll have to find your own way out.
   The others have all woken up now, and are gathering up to discuss what happened. Someone suggests they sit down at the circle. You all move there, but when you do so you spot something half-buried in the sand – a board, along with a pencil, engraved with the following words:

This is a prison.
There are two of your captors amongst you.
They hold the key to freedom.
Hunt and kill them.

Almost immediately, wild arguments erupt.
It has begun, then.

The Day will end Tuesday, 7PM GMT.

You need 3 to Extend and 5 to Shorten.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 24, 2011, 08:13:47 pm »

Now that the game has started and I am now responsible for teaching seven of you how to play a game, I will say the following first.

I will be a completely impartial source of advice that I will freely give at every opportunity, whether I am asked for it or I decide to give it on my own. You can trust that everything I have to say will be given in good faith, even if it comes at a personal cost to me in this game. If you do not listen to what I have to say, for any reason, you will severely hamper your ability to learn how to play the game. So, to reiterate,

Listen to what I tell you.

If you don't, then what's the point of me being here?

For those of you who don't know what to do, games usually start with the Random Vote Stage. You should pick a target randomly, vote them, and ask them a question. The sole purpose of this is to get conversation going when there would otherwise be no reason to do that. I'll start.

Bdthemag, I've never seen you around here before, so answer me a question. As a cop, how would you determine who to inspect at night?

Ideally you should ask game related questions in the RVS. Asking what kind of flavor of ice cream is a player's favorite does absolutely nothing to help you find scum, which is your primary goal.

And because it bears repeating: Your primary goal is to find scum. Everything you do should help you towards that goal. And I do mean everything.

If you're scum, you will obviously have a different goal: Avoid detection until the end of the game. The best way to do this is to look like you are trying to find scum.

Since many of you are going to have no idea what to do and will mangle scumhunting in just about every possible way, it does you no good to hold back. So be bold, and just do the best you can. Ask lots of questions, try to get a good feel for how the game is played. I'll be there to help you when you go wrong.

And yes, I did just copy this word for word from my opening post in BMXXI, because I think it's still good and applicable.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
Re: Beginners' Mafia XXII [7/7, 2/2], DAY 1: Lost and found
« Reply #67 on: March 24, 2011, 08:40:15 pm »

Jim Groovester: I would probally inspect the person making the most accusations of other people.

Supercharazard: Who do you think would be the most dangerous as scum in this game?
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 24, 2011, 08:49:44 pm »

And why is that?

An answer by itself usually isn't enough. You want to tell everybody why. This reveals your thought process, which is what people want from you, and if you're town, is what you want to communicate to everybody. If you are aggressive and interested and active in finding scum, and your answers reflect this, then you will be considered town.

Unfortunately it won't be immediately apparent what sort of thoughts are supposed to be in your head to make you aggressive and interested and active in finding scum. That comes with experience. Just be bold.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

major_sephiroth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 24, 2011, 08:51:19 pm »

Let's get these random votes a-movin'
CrownofFire, (And anyone else who feels like answering), What do you think is the most dangerous power role for mafia to have?

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 24, 2011, 08:58:10 pm »

And we're rolling.

Breadbocks, Out of all the new players here, who do you think would make the worst scum?

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #71 on: March 24, 2011, 09:56:24 pm »

Let's get these random votes a-movin'
CrownofFire, (And anyone else who feels like answering), What do you think is the most dangerous power role for mafia to have?
Most dangerous? Now, that all depends on what power roles the Town has. Assuming that we have at least a Cop, then it'd be a Godfather, most definitely. A Roleblocker only works on a lucky guess, and a Godfather works regardless of who the Cop is, and even lends to their credibility as "Town".

Now that that's out of the way, The King of Eggs. As my designated random-vote (and you haven't posted yet), answer me this: If you were scum, and you could choose ANY player new or old currently in this game, who would you choose to be your Scum buddy?

The King of Eggs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 24, 2011, 10:53:24 pm »

Well CrownofFire (Yes, OMGURS) as for my prefferd Scum buddy, I would, from this pool of humanity, choose a scapegoat actually.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #73 on: March 24, 2011, 10:56:36 pm »

Well CrownofFire (Yes, OMGURS) as for my prefferd Scum buddy, I would, from this pool of humanity, choose a scapegoat actually.
So in other words, you would choose somebody that you could easily bus?

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 24, 2011, 11:19:52 pm »

Again, Jim beats me to the punch. 

Jim pretty much stole my intro post, so let me just heartily endorse everything he said.

I'll add that when asking questions and reading the answers, you should not only look at the answer but how the person answered.  Did they get snippy over a simple question?  Are they covering for something?  Did they dither around and not give a straight answer?  More experienced players have learned not to give bad answers to questions- you need to look for questions being answered in a bad way.  Look at the motivations behind people's posts: see if you can find people trying to mislead you or steer you to a certain conclusion.

That said, let's get going!

[And brackets are me explaining my actions in IC mode.  Yes, I copy pasted this from last game.]

[One thing I'd like to add is that you should maintain a small degree of paranoia.  If someone says or does something that doesn't make sense to you, ask them about it!  It is always acceptable (and good!) to question someone's motivations.  That is a good way to catch scum- identify deviations from expected behavior.]

[Generally, we start games here by picking someone, voting them, and asking them a question.  You don't have to do it, but it's customary.  This serves as a starting point to discussion.]

major_sephiroth:  What do you hope to get out of this game?  If you could pick one of the four possible power roles (Cop, Doctor, Godfather, or Roleblocker), which would you pick?  Why?

[One thing to remember is that if you are asked a question, you should always explain why your answer is so- assume that the asker put a "Why?" at the end of the question like I did above.]

King of Eggs:  You've said you're experienced from elsewhere.  Can you give a brief summary of the style of play from your experience?

[This is mostly so I can read him better, as all RVS questions should be.]

If you have any questions for us ICs, ask away.

Finally, an apology in advance- my activity tomorrow will probably be low.  I have many things going on RL.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 36