Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 36

Author Topic: Beginners' Mafia XXII [0/6, 1/3], POSTGAME: Mafia Won!  (Read 72008 times)

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
Re: Beginners' Mafia XXII [5/6, 2/3], DAY 2: A Kitchen Implement's Lament
« Reply #300 on: April 06, 2011, 04:21:11 am »

In this quote I'm listing lurkiness! I'm going somewhere with this guys!
Speaking of not ignoring posts, I'd like to be the first to say that I have no idea where the hell you are going with this.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: April 06, 2011, 05:16:47 am »

NEXT TIME: We put this breakdown to use.

AUGH it's just painful. Soooooo painful.

You're doing every lame trick I've ever seen any scum do and it's just painful to watch.

When are you going to build a case? I don't give a flying fuck if you counted everybody's post page by page. You wasted all that effort when you could've put it into making a more substantial case.

AUGH it's just so obvious but I can't convince anybody because they're all a bunch of egoistic newbies who think they know what's what ARGH.

Jim, an IC has absolutely no business intentionally pissing off beginners ever. The only thing it serves to accomplish is making a player even less responsive to your advice, which, since you're actually trying to teach us newbies how to hunt effectively, doesn't help teach the player AT ALL.
I don't have to be gentle to teach you. You're a bright group; you can handle a little abuse. Better get used to it, because what I'm doing is pretty tame.
Well isn't that just be fine and dandy. It all makes sense now, if it weren't for the fact that you weren't doing any real teaching by provoking breadbocks.

Bullshit. I'm always teaching. If not directly then by example.

And hmmm, if I tell breadbocks he's scummy for dodging questions, I wonder what he should do in future questions? (Hint: Not dodge questions.) See? Teaching. That's what goes on in mafia games. People tell you what you're doing is scummy, you learn what to do in future games.

I don't want to hear any more criticism about my teaching while I'm in the fucking middle of doing it. You don't have an educated enough opinion of the game to actually give me legitimate criticism anyway. If you've got the same opinion after the game is over, bring it up and I'll be more than receptive. But right now, you'll just have to accept my heavy handed authority and do it gladly.

Got it, fucknuts? Nah, of course not. You already know everything there is to know, why without even completing your first game. Shit just comes naturally to some people. People like you. A year and a half's worth of experience of almost constant playing isn't worth shit when you've got talent like yours coursing through your veins.

Testing reactions is a perfectly legitimate way to scum hunt. Although that's not explicitly what I was doing. I just wanted him to hurry up and fucking do something. As my patience wears thin I get more and more abrasive and my patience was pretty worn down after waiting three days for his mute to expire, and even the runaround he was giving me before that point.

Patience is key in this game. You know this. You know that he'd eventually make a post either making a proper argument or dismissing his argument altogether, and if he stopped posting you could just as easily call for him to be lynched for lurking like scum. For some reason though, you were impatient. Why is that Jim? If you're worried about others thinking that you're not doing enough scum hunting then you are scum.

Yep, you're right. You've been playing mafia for the span of two weeks and you clearly know everything there is to know.

Are you really so dense that you can't see the merits of putting people into uncomfortable positions and seeing what they do? That should be obvious. I mean, I just explained it to you in the post you're quoting.

I wasn't going to wait for him to post, because like I already explained, I suspected he was trying to dodge questions even before he got the mute. He hasn't really changed my mind at all about that.

But the reaction I got to it was pretty damn telling.
I don't care. I'm not here to defend breadbocks, his indecision, or his aggressive tendencies.

Why not? 'Cause you're scumbuddies?????????

You don't have a problem with me trying to get him to post sooner than he would have liked, do you? I'd rather put him on the spot and see what he has to say because that's going to be a much more honest reaction than waiting for him to prepare and make shit up.

Yeah I do have a problem with this Jim, because this is different than pressing an accusation. I have recently realized that the last fucking thing in the world a townie should do is press another player to submit an offensive argument hastily. Arguments must be made with the intent to persuade the other townies who read it. Always. Town is not going to listen to an argument that is half-assed, and done without proper deliberation. Trying to push breadbocks into delivering an argument isn't going to make him more honest, it's only going to make him look more unbelievable. Which is exactly what you want.

Are you fucking kidding me.

Are you fucking kidding me?

Let the bastard stand on his own, Heliman. He doesn't need you to stride in here and attack the big bad IC for him. Why are you defending him? He's not your problem.

And you've got it all wrong. The problem isn't pressing people into making arguments hastily. If they're town they should offer up their arguments early and freely (something breadbocks hasn't done, you'll note). The problem is that breadbocks is incapable of making an argument, either because he's inexperienced, scum, both, or he just hasn't really tried. Giving breadbocks more time likely isn't going to improve his arguments because, in case you didn't notice, he was gone for three days while the game was active. Plenty of time to sit on your hands and think about the game, and what did he come back with? Not a damn thing.

You're not learning the right lesson from this. You shouldn't be learning any lesson, in actuality. The only thing you should be learning is about the player involved. If there were a general lesson here I would be pointing them out.

How about this: Ignore what I've done,
What? No. In fact, Hell no. There is no way in hell I'm going to ignore anything in this thread, it's bad for scumhunting.

I meant momentarily, genius. Did you really think I asked you to give me a free pass?

Separate my words from my name, and look at my arguments against breadbocks, and tell me what you see. That's what I asked you to do.

and tell me what you think of breadbocks. Because you seem to be saying that he's some sort of panicky noob, and let me tell you, he doesn't meet the criteria. Panicky noobs panic, and if he's careful enough to ditch the game as soon as the heat turns up on him (he's avoiding this game despite posting elsewhere on the forum) then his fragile emotional state is not something I have to worry about.
Wrong adjective. Not panicky, aggressive. Easily riled and dogged in his pursuit, and too prideful to give up the when he has no leg to stand on. It's amiable, but not good scum hunting. It's also not a red herring I'm going to be distracted from.

You are so incredibly clueless it's embarrassing.

If he has no leg to stand on, why is he pursuing at all, huh? Don't you think there might be a problem with that? Just a little teency problem? Anything? Anything at all?

There's nothing meritorious about holding onto a suspicion without evidence. That's objectively terrible play, and you shouldn't be rushing to his defense for it.

In this quote I'm listing lurkiness! I'm going somewhere with this guys!
Speaking of not ignoring posts, I'd like to be the first to say that I have no idea where the hell you are going with this.

Contributions like counting posts is a common scum tactic. While superficially they appear helpful, scum hide behind them so they don't have to do any scumhunting.

You'll notice that lack of scumhunting is something plaguing breadbocks.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: April 06, 2011, 07:32:57 am »

MOD: I'd like a vote count, if you wouldn't mind.

WUBA
Toaster was suspicious of Heliman as of yesterday (which would clearly make my job easier as scum), and before that, he was voting major_sephiroth. So, somewhere in there, you seem to have fabricated this.
He was merely doing a random question with a vote press, which he took awhile to get around to answering.
Oh me, oh my. That is stupid, especially at the end of the day. But, I don't really have time to argue, and it really makes no difference to me, especially since it doesn't hardly matter

You agree with my (half written) idea, and say it better than I would be able to.

Vote: Jim Groovester
This is the biggest bandwagon you can get without quoting someone else's post. You can't possibly get any worse than you are right now.

You're not making any sort of case, you're bandwagoning, you're leeching other's ideas, you've been lurking nearly all of Day 1 and Day 2, and when you finally show up, you majorly contribute with this post.

Could you possibly have not even tried to further the argument? Bring up quotes for evidence?

Not acceptable at all King of Eggs.

AUGH it's just painful. Soooooo painful.

You're doing every lame trick I've ever seen any scum do and it's just painful to watch.

When are you going to build a case? I don't give a flying fuck if you counted everybody's post page by page. You wasted all that effort when you could've put it into making a more substantial case.

AUGH it's just so obvious but I can't convince anybody because they're all a bunch of egoistic newbies who think they know what's what ARGH.
No, he's definitely being scummy, but you're really making them all mad. I'd suggest stopping that, as you're one vote away from hammer. You might want to try not cursing. It's might be a pain to stop, but it certainly makes you sound less angry.

In fact, the only one who has brought up a legitimate case against Jim is Heliman. breadbocks and The King of Eggs haven't said anything. BRING UP A CASE. I will lynch you both if you can't come up with a real case, something that you both seem to have passed up for OMGUSing and bandwagoing, respectively.

And why isn't Crown here? I have to say, looking back, you weren't nearly as scummy as I had thought you were, but you're now skipping out on Day 2, and haven't made any statements on anyone's scummitude.

Now, here are some facts that couldn't possibly be twisted without falsifying them.
  • Since the beginning of day one, inclusive of that post and this post, there have been 234 posts.
  • Of those 234 posts, 15 were the mod/Ottofar/IronyOwl (WTF, mate?), leaving 219 of the player's posts.
The breakdown of the remaining 219 is as follows:
  • Heliman: 39
  • Supercharazard/Webadict:33
  • Bdthmag/OrangeBottle: 11
  • Me:30
  • CrownofFire: 22
  • The King of Eggs: 1
  • major_sephiroth: 19 (Dead)
  • Jim Groovester: 41
  • Toaster: 15 (Dead)
As this breakdown shows, the most lurky has been TKoE, closely followed by Bdthmag/OrangeBottle, (Didn't he (OB) officially replace Bd halfway into D1? If so, why was he (OB) silent for the entire day) then you get the two dead people, Crown, me, Super/Web, Heliman, and finally Jim.

I'd like to point out that if you're trying to use lurking as a scumtell, then you're not doing it right. You usually attempt to bring that person out to say more, gather what they say as more evidence, and then push them. If they refuse to come out and play, then they're going to get themselves lynched.

This also leads to a "What's the point?" post. You haven't brought anything new to your own arguments, and I doubt you have any idea where you're going with this information.

I'll be back later. There had better be more posts when I get back.

The King of Eggs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: April 06, 2011, 09:19:32 am »

Breadbocks: WTF. I'm almost certain I have posted more than once. Not nearly enough I acknowledge.

I shouldn't have joined this game at this point in my life. Oh well. I am fully aware that I am royally sucking right now thank you people.

Once more for emphasis. I know I am failing at mafia.

And this is just going to make this worse.

Jim: My case against you is simple.

A) you come into the game trying to control the town with the flimsy excuse of "Im an IC. I'm teaching you". This is not a good thing. Never. Under any circumstances. Ever!
Either you are scum; explanation not needed
Or you are a human town; I.e. Able to be blindsided.

B) your attitude: you crash around like a bull in a pen trying to "get a 'subconscious and unfiltered'  reaction". I have no problems with this in an SE+only game. But in a game where many of the players have never played the game, all you achieve is a panicked response. Which only serves to create a intrapersonal barrier between the town and your target. Which is also bad. Even if you are doing it for the right reasons. You are only giving the scum something to latch onto. I highly doubt that an experienced player could miss this.

Which leads to my next point.
You say you have " a year and a half" of playing under your belt? I have over 2. So fliping what? Stop trying to make yourself seem infallible. You are not (nor is anyone). You also say that talent is nothing compared to experience. I beg to differ. I know of numerous IRC reasons why a noob player in their first game could be better than you. Or me. Or anyone. To you I now ask. Tell me If you will. Your:

True age
Occupation
Qualifications relevant to Mafia (IRC)

And explain why these obviously make you any better a player than my dog.

Orangebottle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: April 06, 2011, 11:22:53 am »

Jim, I wouldn't touch with a 39 and 1/2 foot pole.
Except you just said that he was your main scumpick!
Quote from: Breadbocks
If you want names, I'd say Jim, and Webadict, because it makes us depend on them more, and thus subconsciously more trusting.
You should be pressing this guy. Not completely ignoring his posts, not skimming them, not counting them. Examine them!
Now, here are some facts that couldn't possibly be twisted without falsifying them.
  • Since the beginning of day one, inclusive of that post and this post, there have been 234 posts.
  • Of those 234 posts, 15 were the mod/Ottofar/IronyOwl (WTF, mate?), leaving 219 of the player's posts.
The breakdown of the remaining 219 is as follows:
  • Heliman: 39
  • Supercharazard/Webadict:33
  • Bdthmag/OrangeBottle: 11
  • Me:30
  • CrownofFire: 22
  • The King of Eggs: 1
  • major_sephiroth: 19 (Dead)
  • Jim Groovester: 41
  • Toaster: 15 (Dead)
As this breakdown shows, the most lurky has been TKoE, closely followed by Bdthmag/OrangeBottle, (Didn't he (OB) officially replace Bd halfway into D1? If so, why was he (OB) silent for the entire day) then you get the two dead people, Crown, me, Super/Web, Heliman, and finally Jim.

No, if you looked, I officially replaced BD after major_sephiroth was lynched.

So, Breadbocks, why are you being so extremely overdefensive?
You never even acknowledged my question, mind you.
Breadbocks. Stop giving us useless shit information and answer me.

My Sig
Quote from: The Binder of Shame: RPGnet Rants
"We're in his toilet. We're in Cthulhu's toilet."

""Hey! No breaking character while breaking character"

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: April 06, 2011, 02:05:40 pm »

A) you come into the game trying to control the town with the flimsy excuse of "Im an IC. I'm teaching you". This is not a good thing. Never. Under any circumstances. Ever!
Either you are scum; explanation not needed
Or you are a human town; I.e. Able to be blindsided.

I've never used my ICness to direct people where to lynch. If I said "This player is scum, trust me because I am the IC," then maybe you would be on to something about me trying to direct the town with my experience.

But I've explained fully every suspicion I've ever had and let the arguments do the convincing. That's not controlling the town. That's called playing the game.

Do you actually care whether I am scum? Because you don't really seem sure. Saying "He's maybe scum but he could be town too but I'm not really sure," is horribly lazy. Why don't you find out instead of bandwagoning me.

B) your attitude: you crash around like a bull in a pen trying to "get a 'subconscious and unfiltered'  reaction". I have no problems with this in an SE+only game. But in a game where many of the players have never played the game, all you achieve is a panicked response. Which only serves to create a intrapersonal barrier between the town and your target. Which is also bad. Even if you are doing it for the right reasons. You are only giving the scum something to latch onto. I highly doubt that an experienced player could miss this.

I've played enough games to know when I'm getting a panicked response. If I thought I was making breadbocks panic and flip out and make panicked noob mistakes I'd be easing off of him, because I've played plenty of games with new players, have seen it a bazillion times, and know the signs.

breadbocks isn't doing that. He's actively avoiding making a case. If he's careful enough to know when not to post then his isn't a panicked noob response. That means I don't have to hold back.

How about you identify the signs in breadbocks that make him look like a panicked noob. If you and Heliman are going to make an issue of breadbocks being an panicked noob then you better, at the very least, be able to identify the signs.

Which leads to my next point.
You say you have " a year and a half" of playing under your belt? I have over 2. So fliping what? Stop trying to make yourself seem infallible. You are not (nor is anyone). You also say that talent is nothing compared to experience. I beg to differ. I know of numerous IRC reasons why a noob player in their first game could be better than you. Or me. Or anyone. To you I now ask. Tell me If you will. Your:

True age
Occupation
Qualifications relevant to Mafia (IRC)

And explain why these obviously make you any better a player than my dog.

No.

This is Heliman's exact case, with its exact flaws. Do you have anything original? Because this is recycled garbage to justify a crappy bandwagon. In other words, abjectly insufficient.

No, he's definitely being scummy, but you're really making them all mad. I'd suggest stopping that, as you're one vote away from hammer. You might want to try not cursing. It's might be a pain to stop, but it certainly makes you sound less angry.

I really don't think that would matter. They're finding reasons to suspect me, ignoring my advice as an IC, even downright accusing me of abusing my ICness. Not swearing isn't going to solve the problem.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: April 06, 2011, 02:11:42 pm »

Now for a Public Service Announcement:

There are no Hammers in BM.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: April 06, 2011, 03:00:51 pm »

I'm working on making a case, problem is there's lots of material to cover, I'm on break so my parents expect me to do crazy amounts of work around the house, and these things take time.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: April 06, 2011, 03:12:09 pm »

It's like you're active lurking.

"Nah, don't worry guys. It's coming. I know I've said that before, at least twice, but I mean it this time."

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: April 06, 2011, 03:42:43 pm »

This is Heliman's exact case, with its exact flaws.
*falls off chair*
THE HELL IT IS!
Should I reiterate my case or are you just that damn avoidant about this?
My case is about you trying to anger bread into posting early by LYING about your true thoughts about him being muted. Town doesn't need to lie, you could have easily argued that bread was lurking beforehand or was pulling bullshit information and I would have believed it, but you didn't.
Unlike TKoE, I don't have the time or the actual willpower to argue at length with you about your shitty ethos arguments. You can bitch about it later, so how about instead of calling me an idiot or calling yourself a goddamn ineffable god, you tell me how the fuck you don't look scummy by trying to do this?

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: April 06, 2011, 03:54:43 pm »

The group has succeeded in inciting conversation, and people flow back to the campsite now to argue over matters as the sun sets. Many seem to miss the Crown's presence in matters. Jim Groovester, who was one of the executioners the previous day, is rapidly becoming unpopular. After all, how can you trust a ruthless murderer like that?

Votecount:
Heliman - 0 -
webadict - 0 -
Orangebottle - 0 -
Breadbocks - 2 - Jim Groovester, Orangebottle
CrownofFire - 0 -
The King of Eggs - 1 - webadict
Jim Groovester - 3 - breadbocks, The King of Eggs, Heliman

Not Voting - 0 - CrownofFire
No Lynch  - 0 -

Extend  - 0 -
Shorten  - 0 -

Extend  - 0 -
Shorten  - 0 -

In its current state, the day will end with a Jim Groovester Lynch.

The Day ends to Thursday, 8PM GMT.

You need 3 to Extend and 5 to Shorten.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: April 06, 2011, 04:25:04 pm »

This is Heliman's exact case, with its exact flaws.
*falls off chair*
THE HELL IT IS!
Should I reiterate my case or are you just that damn avoidant about this?
My case is about you trying to anger bread into posting early by LYING about your true thoughts about him being muted. Town doesn't need to lie, you could have easily argued that bread was lurking beforehand or was pulling bullshit information and I would have believed it, but you didn't.
Unlike TKoE, I don't have the time or the actual willpower to argue at length with you about your shitty ethos arguments. You can bitch about it later, so how about instead of calling me an idiot or calling yourself a goddamn ineffable god, you tell me how the fuck you don't look scummy by trying to do this?

What the hell are you talking about? I haven't lied at all.

Quoted for your convenience is all the posts where I try and call breadbocks out.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So I find the idea that you think I was trying to manipulate breadbocks into an early emotional and scummy response utterly ridiculous because I've been trying to get his scummy ass to talk for days. breadbocks knew this was coming, and he knew I wanted him to talk.

So how the hell did I lie about my true thoughts about his mute? By being sarcastic and provocative? Give me a break. Both of those have their purpose in a mafia game and they're useful tools. I've already explained this.

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: April 06, 2011, 04:35:40 pm »

I wasn't being serious. Of course I knew he didn't get muted just to avoid my question. I was being a dick to provoke him into responding sooner rather than later.

Who do you suspect? Are you fully caught up on the thread now?

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: April 06, 2011, 04:44:38 pm »

Yes, exactly.

I explained fully what I was doing when I was asked about it, because it wasn't obvious to Orangebottle.

Did you think I was being serious?

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: April 06, 2011, 05:33:56 pm »

Oh, and extend so that breadbocks has time to make a case.

Don't worry, dude! I'll wait for you. It would be a shame to let the deadline pass without hearing your case.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 36