Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: All Buildings, and Subheading of Reactions  (Read 734 times)

Pickerel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
All Buildings, and Subheading of Reactions
« on: March 18, 2011, 09:14:12 pm »

Please, for the love you have for us modders, I beg of you, the following.
1. The ability to reference all buildings.  This release is much closer, capable of Kiln, Kitchen, and others.  But there are still so many things we would love to do in specific shops...
2. More importantly, the ability to have sub categories.  What I mean is, for example, how the cloth-using buildings first select the type of cloth, then the thing to make with the cloth.  Or in the glass furnace, one chooses the type of glass, then the item to make with it.  Some of us have so many reactions, that it would be wonderful to be able to cluster them under subheadings.  I, for example, am modding in all the reactions to produce items identical to regular glass, for use as 'glass' of different colors.  This is, I think, 31 reactions for each color glass.  I have to have 8 separate buildings, one for each color, to keep it from being a huge list of reactions, whereas if I could use headings and subheadings, I could put it all in one building.  And, as mentioned above, if I could put them all - with subheadings, of course - in the glass shop, it would be even more awesome.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
Re: All Buildings, and Subheading of Reactions
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 12:26:00 am »

One step at a time. Full modding support for all workshops would be a save compat/overhaul of its own... not to say I don't desperately want it, but military/clothing/hospital bugs are still technically first priority.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 03:36:57 am »

The issue is that some of these are wired strangely.  Like, the forge for instance, doesn't act like a regular building.  It handles -all- weapon, armor, and furniture types, and figured out what can be worked by figuring out the material tokens.  The jeweler's shop is similar.  It just doesn't act the same as a regular workshop.  Some of these may never allow proper modding.

Although, I'm a bit curious...  We find out that we can add reactions to a workshop because it shows up in the raws.  Like, a reaction is added to the kitchen, and suddenly we know how to mod the kitchen.  I have to wonder, if the KITCHEN tag wasn't there all along, we just never knew how to use it?

Pickerel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 04:44:16 pm »

An excellent observation!  I wonder if we could ask toady to just give access to ADD reactions to buildings, or if it is already possible, what the names of the buildings are that are not yet referenced in the raws otherwise?
Even though the buildings may themselves never be modable in the large sense, I still think it might not be too hard to allow them to accept custom reactions as well... Though I could be wrong about that statement as I have no experience with this sort of thing ^.^

sockless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2011, 06:07:47 pm »

Subheadings would be great for the smelter, since it's really annoying now how we have so many reactions and they all show up, which clutters things horribly.

Maybe we could also have the reactions that we can perform at the top, so we don't have to scroll halfway through all the red reactions.
Iv seen people who haven't had a redheaded person in their family for quite a while, and then out of nowhere two out of three of their children have red hair.
What color was the mailman's hair?

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2011, 07:36:07 pm »

Having the ability to categorize reactions, especially to allow reactions where one specific material type to be used in a reaction, would be not just wonderful for modding, but wonderful for vanilla, as well.  There are many circumstances where you would want to direct someone to make a piece of furniture out of a specific material type.  Anyone who tries to color-code their dining room will want certain materials for their tables and chairs.  I know I avoid certain colors, like brown, ugly mudstone for my door materials. 

Having the ability to sort by material type would be helpful in and of itself, but it's also useful to be able to have the really large reaction lists (like forges) become more manageable for its own sake, so that smelters, for example, can sort out smelting bars from ore from smelting alloys from two different existing metal bars.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare