Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The Little Things You Never Knew About Dwarf Fortress Thread  (Read 2742 times)

Root Infinity

• Bay Watcher
  • Why?
    • View Profile
The Little Things You Never Knew About Dwarf Fortress Thread
« on: March 18, 2011, 07:09:28 pm »

This is a place to post those little *headdesk* moments we have when we find out something obvious...

Mine is when I discovered that you can use the "/" and "*" keys when assigning bedrooms.
Classic Medieval sexist views are awesome when they work out in your favor.
Noone likes my witty comments enough to sig them.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Things You Never Knew About Dwarf Fortress Thread
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 07:43:16 pm »

There's a facepalm thread in the DF Dwarf Mode forum.

On-topic: Mass dumping.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

tehc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 07:43:08 am »

You don't need to assign bedrooms at all for non-noble dwarves. As long as you have designated it as a bedroom, dwarves will move in and decide to own it.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, 07:56:30 am »

You need to build a chair before you can place one. I was just sitting there thinking ''Jesus! This game's broken!'' before I knew.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2011, 09:13:26 am »

When I discovered that the mouse could be used to draw designations when mining, etc. I had used arrow keys, shift, and enter for a long time.
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

GotIt_00

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2011, 02:43:51 pm »

When I discovered that the mouse could be used to draw designations when mining, etc. I had used arrow keys, shift, and enter for a long time.

Wait, what? This thread is blowing my mind. First, what's the function of / and * in room designation. Second, I thought the mouse had zero functionality in DF. You can draw mining spots? Anything else? Other "d" menu stuff?

melkorp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2011, 03:08:08 pm »

Mass forbid, mass reclaim.  I was forbidding single objects at a time until after my Battlefailed turn.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...It should be pretty fun though.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2011, 04:06:51 pm »

Wait, what? This thread is blowing my mind. First, what's the function of / and * in room designation. Second, I thought the mouse had zero functionality in DF. You can draw mining spots? Anything else? Other "d" menu stuff?
Right clicking places the X cursor where you clicked. A lot of stuff in various menus can be selected by clicking.

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2011, 08:37:29 pm »

I just recently discovered that you could designate with the mouse, but I had no idea about right-clicking. Thanks!

On topic: when I discovered that prepared meals don't show up under 'Plants' or 'Meat' on the z/status screen. It took me a full game year of wondering why my dwarves weren't starving to figure that out.
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

obeliab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2011, 08:52:38 pm »

First, what's the function of / and * in room designation.

/ and * function as page up/page down in most secondary menus, AKA "stuff you have to select with (+) and (-)."

Interus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2011, 03:04:12 am »

Somebody posted a picture of the military assignment screen, with a circle around the part where it shows what squad the currently selected dwarf is in when assigning dwarves to squads.  Blew my mind.

Ovg

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥ Pretty Princess ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2011, 05:52:04 am »

Interus, care to repost it?

caknuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2011, 11:52:43 am »

When I figured out that I could put a one tile pond or two in the middle of my danger room to teach my military dwarves to swim. Also, when I realized I could declare up to four pond zones over the same tile to speed up bucket brigades.
Quote from: Primary
*Kneels before Urist Dickpuncher*

Interus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2011, 11:01:30 pm »

Interus, care to repost it?

When there isn't a squad, the place I put that red box around is empty.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2011, 01:10:47 am »

Despite a few years of playing DF, only a few days ago did I find out that when you designate a metal chain as a room and make it used for Justice, every chain/cage within the room counts as a Justice-used detaining device.

Sort of seems obvious now, since Dining Halls work on the same principle but somehow, I never really thought about it. Just made every chain and cage their own little room of JUSTICE!
Pages: [1] 2