Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Shooting down?  (Read 1191 times)

MisterLich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Shooting down?
« on: March 18, 2011, 04:14:26 pm »

I'm having an issue with my marksdwarfs not attacking from a higher z level.  My fort wall is one z level high and I fortified the spot over the main gate, during a siege I got my dorfs stationed up on the wall next to the fortifications but they never bothered to shoot the goblins, and when I told them to shoot they just ran down and started shooting two tiles away from them instead, costing me an elite marksdwarf.

Thoughts?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Shooting down?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 04:20:33 pm »

Code: [Select]
_@F
  Wg__
Will not shoot.  The dwarf's line of sight is blocked by the wall under the fort.
@_F
  W_g_
Will not shoot.  The dwarf's line of sight is blocked by the floor and the wall.
_@F
  W_g_
Will shoot.  The goblin is not flush against the wall, and the archer is flush against the fort.

It's easiest to do this using a channel around your fort.  A dry moat will catch some stray arrows and prevent the enemy from getting against the wall.  For added benefit, you can make the moat 5+ levels deep, so anyone dodging in will suffer.  Add spikes or military at the bottom as needed.

UnrealJake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2011, 05:10:29 pm »

For added benefit, you can make the moat 5+ levels deep, so anyone dodging in will suffer.  Add spikes or military mega-beast at the bottom as needed.
Huochong sounds like what you hear when a ninja hits somebody with a frying pan.

"HUOOOOOOOOOO-"
*CHONG*

Urist McGyver

• Bay Watcher
  • I love Roc Birds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011, 05:19:35 pm »

For added benefit, you can make the moat 5+ levels deep, so anyone dodging in will suffer.  Add spikes or military mega-beast MAGMA at the bottom as needed.
It's treated as completely normal because this is Dwarf Fortress.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with surrounding yourself with a wall of flames, only to later realize that you're surrounded by a wall of flames.
There's nothing that can't be solved by hurling fifteen roc birds at it.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2011, 05:23:21 pm »

For added benefit, you can make the moat 5+ levels deep, so anyone dodging in will suffer.  Add spikes or military MAGMA AND KITTENS at the bottom as needed.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, 05:28:04 pm »

The problem with a deep dry moat is that your own dwarves can also dodge into it. I make my dry moats only a single Z level deep, however the exit to the dry moat is lined with weapon traps, so anything that falls into the dry moat has only a single route to escape it, and to do so they need to go through the gauntlet of weapon traps.

A fall of a single Z level will not hurt anyone so if your dwarves are pushed into the moat they will not die. This allows you to send out your melee guys to mop up without any friendly fire issues.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2011, 06:03:34 pm »

The problem with a deep dry moat is that your own dwarves can also dodge into it.
If there is a wall next to your dry moat, you could have retracting bridges over it, so it is a pit when it is just enemies out there and flat ground when you are sending your military there.

Also, I think higher walls can be useful for keeping your marksdwarfs from trying to go next to the wall on the wrong side of it.

Something I am curious about is:
_@F
  Wg_

where the fortification (a built one, not carved (carved has a ceiling and floor left over from being a wall)) is hanging over the edge slightly.
Soaplent green is goblins!

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2011, 07:00:41 pm »

A fortification includes a floor.

However, grates or horizontal bars may allow firing directly downwards. I don't know, haven't tried it out, but if it works it would be awesome for murderholes.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2011, 07:27:56 pm »

For added benefit, you can make the moat 5+ levels deep, so anyone dodging in will suffer.  Add spikes or military MAGMA AND KITTENS at the bottom as needed.
Oh, gods, NO!  NOT Kittens!  :D

And i'm in agreement about murder holes.  You could try something like this for that:
Z+0        Z+1      Definitions

....#_     ....F     . floor
.>..#_     .<..F     >, < stairs
#####_     ....F     # wall
+....      .==.F     _ channel
#####_     ....F     F fortification (not overhanging ;)
.>..#_     .<..F     + door
....#_     ....F     = floor grate/bars allowing dorfs on lvl 2 to see/shoot/pour magma on stuff at the door on lvl 1
stairs can be moved to more convenient positions, to allow more troops, magma pumps, what have you. :D
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2011, 09:02:44 pm »

Bars/grates actually block line-of-sight, light, and line-of-fire. That is, unless the behaviour has changed recently. Test it yourself if you want to make sure.

Fortifications don't come with a ceiling if built directly, so you can put some on the ground floor, instead of a channel, to keep enemies farther back.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2011, 09:23:15 pm »

Bah, i forgot they block LOS.  I guess you could make a walled in area surrounded by pumps (for water/magma welcomes), or just hatches that you could open to fire down at them.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2011, 03:02:32 am »

The problem is, then people can fire BACK at you.  If you want to do that, just leave the fortifications off entirely.