Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Minor Tweaks  (Read 5683 times)

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
Minor Tweaks
« on: March 18, 2011, 02:32:02 pm »

I would like to suggest a number of minor tweaks to the game:

1.) It would be helpful if there was a way to go directly from a given building's 'Set Building Tasks/Prefs menu' (the 'q' menu) to that same building's View Items in Buildings display (the 't' menu) without having to exit out and reselect the building. (Maybe just add a hotkey in the tasks menu that takes you to the building items list)

2.) It would be nice to be able to name dining rooms the way that we can name barracks. It would certainly make party announcements a lot less confusing.

3.) Continuing on that note, it would be nice if announcements that a dwarf has thrown a party allowed you to zoom to the site of the party via the 'View Announcements' menu (the 'a' menu) just like you can announcements saying that you have struck a new mineral or that someone has died. It would also be nice to do this with announcements that someone has created a masterpiece.

4.) In the 'View Rooms/Buildings' menu (the 'R' menu), in addition to being able to 'zoom to building tasks' for workshops, it would be nice to be able to set tasks for the selected building directly from within the View Buildings menu

5.) On a completely different note, how about adding 'killer bees' as a third bee type that only appear in savage locales, and have more powerful stings, but which are otherwise basically the same as honey bees (maybe with marginally more valuable hive products???) But with faster honey production.

6.) I still think that the 'channel' designation should be split into a 'downward ramp' designation that works like the current channeling system, and a reworked 'channel' designation that works more similarly to channeling in 40d.

7.) It would be nice if the stocks menu, the trade menu, and the trade/import negotiations menu could be searched by name the way that the embark menu and the haul items to depot menu can be.

EDIT: also...

8.) There should be a readout on the bottom of the screen constantly displaying some of the more relevant inventory information (with the same limitations as the regular stocks screen, of course). Specifically, it would be useful to have a listing of total remaining units of fuel, total remaining logs, total remaining drinks, total remaining food, total remaining sand, total remaining ash, and total remaining non-economic stone (while it would also be nice to have a readout of remaining metal bars, that particular info is useless unless it is organized by type, and that would take up too moch space to put in a readout like the one I'm suggesting)

9.) The addition of "Select All", "De-select all" (and/or possibly "Toggle All") and alphabetical search buttons to the "Add Citizens to Burrow" submenu of the "Define Burrows" menu (Menu 'w'-'c') would be much appreciated. Optimally the 'Select all' and 'Deselect all' options would be invoked by a two-button (or more) combination (such as Alt+'A') so that it would not be selected accidentally

10.) The MAX_EDGE values for HORN, BONE, TOOTH, and STONE, as well as for NAIL tissues being used to represent claws, should be increased slightly so that they are better for cutting than WOOD.

11.) Change descriptions of dead dwarves to the past tense (ie. "he was weak", "he was married to <spouse name>", "he had a natural inclination toward language", etc.)

12.) In the menus to select, for instance, which statue or which door or which armor stand to place after you've selected the placement location or said item, it would be nice to be able to "Expand/Contract" just the list of items of a specific material (instead of having to either use any item of the proper material, or else having to scroll through the entire list of all relevant items regardless of material (using the 'x' key)). It would also be nice to be able to search this list alphanumerically/by text string as well.

12.B.) The Same points as listed in point #12 also go for the similar menus for workshop construction, trap construction and weapon selection, and for floor/wall/abveground staircase construction.

14.) To fix the endless spamming of soap related errors, I propose that, until whatever the underlaying problem is can be corrected that either
     a.) all uses of soap other than actual medical uses actually taking place in a hospital be disabled/removed from the game until the underlaying error can be fixed. (ie. no "Clean Self" jobs. Just wound cleaning.)
or  b.) Have all bars of soap be automatically forbidden if there is nobody currently injured and awaiting treatment.

15.) Add an option in the "Military" menu (the 'm' menu) to show only candidates with relevant skills (and another to show only candidates without relevant skills). An option to sort candidates by profession would also be welcome (to make it easier to fill out squads with dwarves whose non-military skills are of limited use)

16.) Also, I agree with Uristocrat that we should be able to check dwarves' prefrences fron the baron selection/elevation screen.

17.) I'd like to be able to sort items on the trade screen by quality. That way I can get rid of all of my low quality items and free up room in my bins. (and, of course, an option to search by text string would also be welcome as well)

18.) I also agree with  Uristocrat's idea about fixing/correcting the solid densities of stones

19.) It would be nice if the Jeweler's Workshop menu had a listing of how many unused cut gems of the selected type you have (subject to Record Keeping limitations, of course)

20.) Similarly, it would be nice if the part of the engrave slab option in the craftdwarf's workshop where you select whom to engrave the slab to actually told you whether or not you had already engraved a slab to a given deceased character. (I've seen it suggested elsewhere that this be done by color coding the names in the list)

21.) It would be nice to be able to zoom to the body of a deceased character in the units menu (provided that their body is still there/hasn't been destroyed)

22.) Put the economic stones menu in alphabetical order

23.) The assign room menu should be sortable alphabetically and/or by who does or doesn't have a room yet

24.) It would be nice to have the option to pause and recenter when merchants are finished unloading their goods and ready to trade (as of yet the game gives a regular announcement IIRC, but for some reason that announcement does not appear in the announcement options file in the init folder, and so it can't be manually set to pause and recenter like other announcements can set this to.

25.) The noble positions could be made more interesting (and the existence/possibility of certain types of rooms made more meaningful) if there were more types of required rooms. Specifically, I feel that it would make sense for nobles to require a Sculpture Garden, the CHIEF_MEDICAL_DWARF to require a well, and the DUNGEON_MASTER to require a zoo/jail. (Edit: the MILITIA_COMMANDER could also have a required archery range (even though the existence of the archery range is already justified))

26.) Add BLOOD, PROTECTION, INSANITY, and GREED as new spheres.

27.) After a certain population threshold the MAYOR could be replaced with a GOVERNER.

28.) When setting an item's properties via the 'q' menu, the name (type) and quality of the selected item should actually appear in the window somewhere.

29.) It should be possible to view the details of statues and the text of memorial slabs via the "Look Around" menu (the 'k' menu)

30.) As R Tiger pointed out, if the creature that a squad was assigned to kill dies or leaves the map then the kill order should be automatically ended (perhaps accompanied by a message like "Kill <creature type> has been completed"

31.) Obsidian, If I recall correctly (this is something I (think) heard from a geologist who works at a museum that I volunteer at, BTW), is chemically a form of glass, and therefore should probably have the [IS_GLASS] tag.

32.) It would be nice to be able to choose the location where your wagon appears on the map when you first arrive at a new fortress site.

33.) If somebody mods in new positions with duplicate responsibilities (such as more than one position with TRADE) they should all be able to perform that responsibility.

34.) It would be nice to be have something similar to the "Floor Flow" zone designation option be available when designating stockpiles.

35.) Allow the "Train a war animal", "Train a hunting animal" and "Tame a Small Animal" jobs to be queued from the manager screen.

36.) There should be an option to zoom directly to the broker's current location from the set building tasks ('q') menu for the trade depot.

37.) When you view an object (usually via 'k'->'ENTER') it the game should automatically display the item's description immediately above the lists of the item's uses and contents, instead of having ot press 'v' to see the description.

38.) Dyed Cloth and un-dyed cloth should have seperate sections in the stocks menu, or otherwise be better differentiated from each other.

39.) It would be nice to have a display in the smelter menu of how much/many you have left of each ore.

40.) In addition to being able to assign specific dwarves to specific burrows, it would be nice to also be able to forbid specific (or all) dwarves from entering a given burrow.

41.) I just noticed that the fact that the 'u' button takes you to the units list seems to be absent from the quick refrence sheet on the right side of the screen (the one sandwiched between the main portion of the screen and the minimap) as of 31.21 (or possibly I'm just so tired that I wasn't able to find it there, in which case this suggestion can be disregarded);The Unit List is an important interface and it should be listed in the quick refrence screen.

42.) It would be nice if the game paused and recentered (or could at least be set to do so) when your broker finally actually showed up to trade at the trade depot.

43.) Put in an option to search for sites with sand in the site finder.

44.) Add a new token with effects similar to DEEP_SPECIAL in terms of it not appearing in trade but minus the effect of making the material appear in veins leading to Hell.

45.) Increase the value of statues. The idea of a big statue costing the same amount as a small figurine of the same quality, (or, for that matter, the same as a mug) is stretching my suspension of disbelief a bit. Plus, unlike other furniture items, a statue's main purpose seems to be to add value to a room, so it seems to me  that it should do this a bit better than other furniture items.

46.) Allow mechanisms to be stored in bins.

47.) Legends mode would be significantly more usable if every time the name of a civilization was mentioned in legends mode, the name of that civilization's originating creature type (ie. dwarves, elves, humans, kobolds or goblins etc.) appeared in a parenthetical note after the civilization's names. It would be a simple change and make it a lot easier to tell who was fighting who, whithout having to navigate through two layers of menus and hope that neither of the civilizations is actually a goblin civilization in which goblins have become a minority.

48.) Speaking of legends mode, it would also be nice if there was also a simple listing what civilizations were at war at game start.

49.) When using the remove zone tool ('i'->'x'->ENTER->(select area)->ENTER) it would be nice if we could see what was under the zones in the selected area. I know that, at least for me, that's generally relevant information.

50.) In the screen displaying necessary reagents for a reaction  at a workshop which cannot currently be performed ('q'->'a'->{select red colored reaction}->ENTER) it would be nice if there was some indication of which specific reagents were missing.

51.)  It would also be nice if the aforementioned screen/readout was accessible for reactions for which the necessary reagents were all available.

52.) Held/worn items in adventure mode should always appear at the top of the inventory/remove item/wear item/Interact with item interface listings.

53.) It would be nice to have the option for a BOX/DO_MEGA announcement whenever, you (but only you) lose posession of an item in adventurer mode (only). Its distrubingly easy not to notice that kind of thing in adventure mode (and yet, at the same time, i don't want to get spammed with this when playing dwarf mode)

54.) It would also be nice if there was some better indication of which creature you are targeting in an adventure mode battle. Given the fact that creatures 'a', 'b', and 'c' (et cetera) are usually the same kind of creature the creature type listings that serve as the only indication at present aren't really very useful. Optimally it would be replaced by something similar to the interface to select a building to link up to a lever, or by the appropriate letters flashing above each potential target (or something else of that nature).

55.) It would be nice if there was a second blue exclamation point for indicating random combat opportunities located immediately next the the letter for the relevant attack, in addition to the exclamation point at the end of the line. (This would make it quicker and easier to see which attack the opportunity was for)

56.) Please Make the wear an item ('w') menu in adventurer mode properly recognize eligible items that are in bags or other containers.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 07:42:12 pm by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
Re: Minor Tweaks
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 09:17:12 am »

1.) It would be helpful if there was a way to go directly from a given building's 'Set Building Tasks/Prefs menu' (the 'q' menu) to that same building's View Items in Buildings display (the 't' menu) without having to exit out and reselect the building. (Maybe just add a hotkey in the tasks menu that takes you to the building items list)
Actually, I feel those menus should be consolidated into one, possibly along with the (v)iew unit and loo(k) menus, as some of the interface suggestions in Jiri Petru's thread do, along with similar consolidations.

2.) It would be nice to be able to name dining rooms the way that we can name barracks. It would certainly make party announcements a lot less confusing.

3.) Continuing on that note, it would be nice if announcements that a dwarf has thrown a party allowed you to zoom to the site of the party via the 'View Announcements' menu (the 'a' menu) just like you can announcements saying that you have struck a new mineral or that someone has died. It would also be nice to do this with announcements that someone has created a masterpiece.

4.) In the 'View Rooms/Buildings' menu (the 'R' menu), in addition to being able to 'zoom to building tasks' for workshops, it would be nice to be able to set tasks for the selected building directly from within the View Buildings menu

7.) It would be nice if the stocks menu, the trade menu, and the trade/import negotiations menu could be searched by name the way that the embark menu and the haul items to depot menu can be.
Certainly all reasonable suggestions that would be cool to have.

5.) On a completely different note, how about adding 'killer bees' as a third bee type that only appear in savage locales, and have more powerful stings, but which are otherwise basically the same as honey bees (maybe with marginally more valuable hive products???)
I suspect at some point, Toady will want to add giant bees and beemen (there presumably need to be sites not linked to entities or historical figures beyond caves for them to come in properly), so at that point, a savage killer bee could certainly join the fray as well. If they're going to provide more valuable products, ideally it is because the game realizes that the killer bees are more dangerous.

6.) I still think that the 'channel' designation should be split into a 'downward ramp' designation that works like the current channeling system, and a reworked 'channel' designation that works more similarly to channeling in 40d.
It was my understanding that the current channeling behavior was a placeholder until siegers have a few more brains and options? Anyway, having both options once the old channeling returns would be nice.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 06:40:16 pm »

BTW, I've added an additional suggestion to the bottom of the list...
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, 08:42:24 pm »

Beeman ? What is next, carp men (make them aggressive like the old 40d carp) ? Elephant men (no, not the deformed one) ? Dragon men (FUCK YES) ?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2011, 08:45:05 pm »

Dragon-men are in.  At least two different people have made half-dragon civs.  I'm working on a naga/lamia civ, which is sorta similar to dragons I suppose.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2011, 08:51:07 pm »

Nagas I would consider different from half-dragons. I see half-dragons as... basically bigger, meaner, smarter fire imps.

Nagas are kinda like sirens, however rather than half-fish it's half-snake.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2011, 11:17:56 am »

BTW, I've added about 10 additional suggestions now...
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2011, 03:03:32 pm »

There are a lot of good suggestions (and not just the ones I suggested ;)) in there.  I support this.
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2011, 09:34:48 pm »

Thank you.
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2011, 09:38:20 pm »

By the way, i've added a couple more ideas again
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

RTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2011, 09:48:25 am »

Something I want to add.

If your military has orders to kill something, and they kill it, cancel the order automatically and let them return instead of milling about the dead body and dying of thirst/hunger/unhappiness.

Also, being able to mass toggle a forbid/claim in a catagory would be nice. Sometimes items you want claim end up forbid, and being able to claim them all at once would help.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 10:05:05 am by RTiger »

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2011, 04:50:09 pm »

Something I want to add.

If your military has orders to kill something, and they kill it, cancel the order automatically and let them return instead of milling about the dead body and dying of thirst/hunger/unhappiness.

Also, being able to mass toggle a forbid/claim in a catagory would be nice. Sometimes items you want claim end up forbid, and being able to claim them all at once would help.

Added to the list...
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2011, 07:25:59 pm »

From now on, whenever I add more suggestions to the main post, I'm also gonna post the suggestions in a new post. On that note:

Suggestion #35.) Allow the "Train a war animal", "Train a hunting animal" and "Tame a Small Animal" jobs to be queued from the manager screen.
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2011, 10:15:59 pm »

Suggestion #36.) There should be an option to zoom directly to the broker's current location from the set building tasks ('q') menu for the trade depot.
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Buzzing_Beard

• Bay Watcher
  • RL Beekeeper
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2011, 01:07:42 am »

Suggestion #5 has my support. Regarding killer bees:

+Much more productive, but their honey isn't any "better" AFAIK.
     +Lack wintering behaviour and can't survive freezing temperatures.
     +Will hyper-aggressively defend their hives, but individually their stings aren't any worse.

I propose top-bar hives so the dwarves don't have to fight with their (potentially killer) bees. How do the dwarves harvest/destroy their hives anyway? A beehive is not a walnut. Sorry for being picky, the bees in DF are already outstanding for a video game.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4