Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: An artifact mechanism. WHY!?  (Read 9490 times)

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: An artifact mechanism. WHY!?
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2011, 11:22:49 pm »

As a side note, would you really need spike traps linked to a lever for danger rooms?
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2011, 11:38:43 pm »

junk metals like tin.
Tin is a prized metal, just short of iron in its value. It's half of bronze, and bronze is an excellent metal if one lacks the ability set up a steel making industry.

Nickel on the other hand...

As for artifact mechanisms, they're great for extra boosts of happiness, be it from trap quality, or well.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

yggiz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2011, 05:45:35 am »

As a side note, would you really need spike traps linked to a lever for danger rooms?

I think the skill ups only come from contact with the active up/downing training spear. Don't forget to use training spears instead or spikes for your training. The spikes are good if you want actual injuries/deaths.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2011, 06:00:08 am »

You can walk over a spear trap safely.  It's only the act of popping up, or yourself falling a Z level onto it, that hurts.

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2011, 04:25:28 pm »

Of course, you don't really need to link it to a lever. But, the only other option is a goblin or a water repeater. They aren't hypothetically speaking difficult to set up, but I've never bothered, personally.

I've built a danger room in my fort for the sole purpose of killing pets. Just waiting until my pet semetary is completed...
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2011, 04:28:25 pm »

Levers are easy, and can be stopped.  A water or gobbo repeater will keep going, and that can suck.  If Urist McFreshRecrit forgot his boots, you can suddenly have a soldier with busted feet sitting in the hospital hogging water with a bum leg.  If you've got a lever nearby, it's easy to cancel the pulling task and recover the wounded.  Not to mention, that when pets/kids die in a danger room, any civilian going to retrieve the corpse will get skewered.  You can very quickly deplete your entire population by simply using a danger room and a stray cat, as each corpse-hauling task lures another victim in.  If it's lever-controlled, you can instantly stop the spikes and recover corpses.

janglur

• Bay Watcher
  • +Blood Soup+
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2011, 06:28:07 pm »

Put it in a weapon trap, gives highest accuracy when combined with high-quality weapons.

Artifact+artifact=always hits

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2011, 06:48:54 pm »

What you should do is have your (trainee) masons turn raw stone into blocks, then have the (trainee) mechanics turn those blocks into mechanisms, which you can then use and/or sell.

Urist McMechanic cancels Construct Mechanisms - needs non-economic hard rock.
Next time, follow your own advice and make sure it's actually correct before offering it to others.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

iyaerP

• Bay Watcher
  • has mandated the production of 3 gold shields.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2011, 06:49:16 pm »

Levers are easy, and can be stopped.  A water or gobbo repeater will keep going, and that can suck.  If Urist McFreshRecrit forgot his boots, you can suddenly have a soldier with busted feet sitting in the hospital hogging water with a bum leg.  If you've got a lever nearby, it's easy to cancel the pulling task and recover the wounded.  Not to mention, that when pets/kids die in a danger room, any civilian going to retrieve the corpse will get skewered.  You can very quickly deplete your entire population by simply using a danger room and a stray cat, as each corpse-hauling task lures another victim in.  If it's lever-controlled, you can instantly stop the spikes and recover corpses.

How do you recover the corpses?

My danger room is full of rotting or skeletal impaled cat corpses, and I always have a nonstop spam of people being unable to retrieve items for burial, even when the spears are stopped their repeating.
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then youkill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.
Dwarf Fortress: So horrifying the players would rather talk about nice things, like Warhammer 40k.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2011, 06:52:06 pm »

I dunno, just stop it?  Maybe make sure the spears are stopped in the down position?  I never had an issue with this.

Puresowns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2011, 07:12:21 pm »

Make sure your door is not forbidden.
The history of a good fortress is not written in blood, it's painted on the walls by the hand of a melancholy orphan.

iyaerP

• Bay Watcher
  • has mandated the production of 3 gold shields.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2011, 08:06:09 pm »

Its not. The military can get in and out just fine. And no, it is not a burrow problem either.
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then youkill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.
Dwarf Fortress: So horrifying the players would rather talk about nice things, like Warhammer 40k.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2011, 08:34:57 pm »

Are the corpses forbidden? What does the cancel message say?
Soaplent green is goblins!

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2011, 09:18:03 pm »

Anything you can build somewhere is good, even if it's just an artifact wood grate. As people have already said, mechanisms are even better.

The useless things are stuff like rings, toy hammers, loincloths, and (most frustratingly) blowguns. Just wait until you're like "yay! finally a wesponsmith in a strange mood!" and you end up with the BEST blowgun EVER.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2011, 09:53:55 pm »

And a legendary weaponsmith. Unless it was a possession, in which case I tend to send both artifact and dwarf to the cleansing fire of the earth.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4