Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: An artifact mechanism. WHY!?  (Read 9499 times)

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile
An artifact mechanism. WHY!?
« on: March 18, 2011, 12:14:02 pm »

WHY did those idiots make an artifact mechanism!? WHY? IT WILL BE DESTROYED AS SOON AS I WAIST IT ON THE LEVER OF SAFETY AND DOOM!

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
Re: An artifact mechanism. WHY!?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 12:15:42 pm »

WHY did those idiots make an artifact mechanism!? WHY? IT WILL BE DESTROYED AS SOON AS I WAIST IT ON THE LEVER OF SAFETY AND DOOM!

If you got the Genesis mod, put it in a display case.
Or any other mod which has Display cases.

Bleaktea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2011, 12:17:50 pm »

I think - this may be a lie, but bear with me - that the accuracy of a weapon trap depends on the quality of the mechanism used to build it.  Also, the mechanism isn't destroyed, when you deconstruct the trap you should get the mechanism back.

So build a weapon trap using it, load it up with as many weapons as you can, and watch it dismember your enemies with glorious surgical precision.

Urist McGyver

• Bay Watcher
  • I love Roc Birds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011, 12:19:00 pm »

To make a totally awesome well that will impress the most arrogant of monarchs.
It's treated as completely normal because this is Dwarf Fortress.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with surrounding yourself with a wall of flames, only to later realize that you're surrounded by a wall of flames.
There's nothing that can't be solved by hurling fifteen roc birds at it.

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2011, 12:23:35 pm »

Like they said, an artifact mechanism isn't bad, way better than yet another useless child craft mood. You can use it for a well that will give lots of happy thoughts or a really awesome weapons trap. Dwarves will admire high value traps like any other furniture so you could get happy thoughts and goblin blending out of it.
Memento Mori

QuantumMenace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, 12:24:15 pm »

Use it to build a control lever where lots of dwarves are around. Dwarves can admire levers, though the thought may call it a "trap".

If the mechanism is flammable (graphite, lignite, bit. coal) you can install it in a non-flammable bridge and set it on fire indefinitely, I think.

caknuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2011, 12:24:57 pm »

Install the mechanism as a lever in any high traffic area. You don't even need to attach it to anything. (however, hooking it up to the floodgate that starts/stops the flow of magma to the Baron's bedroom is never a bad idea.)

Artifact mechanisms are a good thing. So are legendary mechanics.
Quote from: Primary
*Kneels before Urist Dickpuncher*

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2011, 12:26:35 pm »

Artifact mechanisms, legendary mechanics, and masterwork mechanisms are awesome and immensely valuable particularly when made with steel or even adamantine.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2011, 12:26:57 pm »

What the hell are you doing that destroys mechanisms?  There's two instances that mechanisms are destroyed.  1) When you build a one-use pressure plate, and 2) When you build it into a support, and cause a cave-in that lands atop the support, destroying the mechanism.  Levers, cages, and any amount of linking NEVER destroys a mechanism.  You can construct and deconstruct endless levers, every single mechanism will pop out when deconstructed, every single time.

Personally, I LOVE artifact mechanisms.  I make it into a lever in my dining hall, making it instantly legendary, and then link it to my drawbridge.  Quick response time on all panic actions AND a legendary dining hall!  Or build it into any other type of thing, and let it adorn a noble's room.

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2011, 12:34:39 pm »

Artifact mechanism + masterwork chain + masterwork bucket = best damn well you've ever seen.  Dwarfs will get happy thoughts from using it, and if you are running your fort correctly, they will be using it often to clean all the goblin blood off themselves, thereby getting lots and lots of happy thoughts.
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

Urist McGyver

• Bay Watcher
  • I love Roc Birds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2011, 12:36:27 pm »

There's two instances that mechanisms are destroyed.  1) When you build a one-use pressure plate, and 2) When you build it into a support, and cause a cave-in that lands atop the support, destroying the mechanism.  Levers, cages, and any amount of linking NEVER destroys a mechanism.  You can construct and deconstruct endless levers, every single mechanism will pop out when deconstructed, every single time.
If the mechanism is not magma safe, it is destroyed if the piece it is conected with is submerged in magma(like a magma-safe floodgate with a mechanism that's not magma-safe).
It's treated as completely normal because this is Dwarf Fortress.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with surrounding yourself with a wall of flames, only to later realize that you're surrounded by a wall of flames.
There's nothing that can't be solved by hurling fifteen roc birds at it.

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2011, 12:36:58 pm »

GUYS! You totally changed my view toward mechanisms!

white_darkness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2011, 12:40:52 pm »

A mechanism has a variety of wonderful uses, from happy thoughts to generalized mayhem.  :)

Now look on the bright side, you could have an artifact cave spider silk sock, studded with pig iron, decorated with cave spider silk and two-humped camel bone and encircled with deer leather and blue jade.  Finely coloured with emerald dye, menacing with spikes of cave spider silk, chestnut, and wolf bone.

Though McGyver, I thought one of the game traditions was that artifacts are effectively indestructible, irregardless of whatever irrational materials they are made of.  Hence, the artifact cat bone floodgate should still seal the volcano wall and hold the magma back, even though it's in flames.  If that's changed, when did it happen?

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2011, 12:46:02 pm »

I squished my legendary mechanic under a bridge and have been lamenting it ever since (it was an accident). Artifact mechanisms are good, probably best used in a well or whatever. Masterful mechanisms produced by a legendary mechanic are the business. They make brilliant weapon traps that can devestate any invading force, not to mention their usefulness in the destruction of ampersands.

Training up a legendary mechanic is a pain, because you have to crank out so many inferior quality mechanisms. Mechanic moods are an Armoksend.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2011, 01:29:27 pm »

You can destroy artifacts by atom smashing them or dropping into the magma ocean, or they can be lost if a kobold steals them, but they cannot be melted AFAIK. This also means artifacts can burn forever.

If you cleverly forbid things so that your artifact mechanisms is made out of coal, you can build a lever out of it and flood the area with magma. This should ignite the lever. You now have a forever burning artifact lever.

I'm sure you can find fun things to do with this forever burning but never destroyed artifact lever.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4