Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: An artifact mechanism. WHY!?  (Read 9492 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: An artifact mechanism. WHY!?
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2011, 01:33:43 pm »

"What's that Baroness?  You want ANOTHER slade cabinet in your dining room?  Yeah, we actually have 3 of those!  Just pull this lever and it'll call the Cabinet Fairy to deliver them for you!"

"Hmm, I haven't been dressing many wounds recently, feeling kinda rusty...  Oi, you, Urist McMigrantLyeMaker!  We got a new lever installed, pull it for free socks!"

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2011, 01:49:43 pm »

You could use the burning artifact lever for doctor practice. Have a dwarf pull the lever a few times and become injured by it.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2011, 01:59:26 pm »

An artifact mechanism is great! Put it in a good weapon trap and watch it never miss. Mechanism quality affects the "skill" of the weapon trap.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 02:38:09 pm by Lagslayer »

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2011, 03:07:43 pm »

An artifact mechanism is great! Put it in a good weapon trap and watch it never miss. Mechanism quality affects the "skill" of the weapon trap.

In fact it's such a big deal that when my mechanic just went legendary by making a ridiculously intricately decorated and menacing artifact mechanism, I tore out a bunch of the traps in my abbatoir welcome room just so I could forbid the existing fairly crappy mechanisms and use new masterwork ones he is making.
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2011, 03:13:05 pm »

Artifact mechanism + masterwork chain + masterwork bucket = best damn well you've ever seen.  Dwarfs will get happy thoughts from using it, and if you are running your fort correctly, they will be using it often to clean all the goblin blood off themselves, thereby getting lots and lots of happy thoughts.
I've actually got it topped. I have an artifact mechanism and chain.  :D
Memento Mori

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2011, 03:15:44 pm »

Training up a legendary mechanic is a pain, because you have to crank out so many inferior quality mechanisms. Mechanic moods are an Armoksend.

Practically all my mechanics are trained to legendary from nothing.  I set up shops just to crank out (ha ha) mechanisms by the bucketload, and magmadump/atomsmash anything less than *mechanism*.  Between that and the block factories, I can clear whole rooms of junk stone and train useful dwarves while I do it.
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2011, 03:21:48 pm »

Training up a legendary mechanic is a pain, because you have to crank out so many inferior quality mechanisms. Mechanic moods are an Armoksend.

Practically all my mechanics are trained to legendary from nothing.  I set up shops just to crank out (ha ha) mechanisms by the bucketload, and magmadump/atomsmash anything less than *mechanism*.  Between that and the block factories, I can clear whole rooms of junk stone and train useful dwarves while I do it.

I do much the same thing. I invariably have far too much worthless stone I want to get rid of. Anything less than a masterwork is tossed into the garbage chute right down into the magma ocean. Sometimes I trade them away on caravans if I have nothing else to trade for some reason.

Likewise, I also train up masons in this way. I just have them make rock blocks until they're legendary, then they can make furniture. If i have too many blocks taking up all of my bins I'll toss some into the garbage chute or have the masons go build a castle for no reason.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2011, 03:47:48 pm »

I usually have all of my haulers run around with masonry, mechanics, and woodcutting on. That way, they'll all install walls, build blocks (where the block shops are set not to take my good masons), and install/fix traps. I've never really found a need for more than one mechanic, although mood baiting the skill might be a good idea, thinking about it.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2011, 06:20:46 pm »

When you get lots of low quality mechanisms from training your mechanic, you can use them to fill your corridors with cage traps. You can train your metalsmith/glassmaker along with your mechanic by making tons of cages from glass or junk metals like tin.

Which reminds me, are tantruming dwarfs caught in cage traps or is that just berserk dwarfs?

On the destruction of ampersands, I don't know of any point where mechanism quality effects that. As far as I know repeating spikes and traps involving artificial cave-ins are not effected by mechanism quality.
Soaplent green is goblins!

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2011, 06:59:38 pm »

I'm not sure mechanism quality affects anything other than value. Even still I like having uniform machinery in my fortress, which means it must all be masterwork. All of it. Every single mechanism must be masterwork.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2011, 07:35:19 pm »

Which reminds me, are tantruming dwarfs caught in cage traps or is that just berserk dwarfs?
Just berserking.

On the destruction of ampersands, I don't know of any point where mechanism quality effects that. As far as I know repeating spikes and traps involving artificial cave-ins are not effected by mechanism quality.
I'm not sure mechanism quality affects anything other than value. Even still I like having uniform machinery in my fortress, which means it must all be masterwork. All of it. Every single mechanism must be masterwork.
Quality affects accuracy of weapon traps and upright spikes.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2011, 07:47:47 pm »

I do much the same thing. I invariably have far too much worthless stone I want to get rid of. Anything less than a masterwork is tossed into the garbage chute right down into the magma ocean. Sometimes I trade them away on caravans if I have nothing else to trade for some reason.

Likewise, I also train up masons in this way. I just have them make rock blocks until they're legendary, then they can make furniture. If i have too many blocks taking up all of my bins I'll toss some into the garbage chute or have the masons go build a castle for no reason.
What you should do is have your (trainee) masons turn raw stone into blocks, then have the (trainee) mechanics turn those blocks into mechanisms, which you can then use and/or sell.  Doing this each piece of what might be otherwise useless stone gets to do triple duty to help the fortress.  Each piece trains up a mason, a mechanic and a broker, while providing income to the fortress. :)
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2011, 08:42:26 pm »

Quality affects accuracy of weapon traps and upright spikes.
Mechanism quality DOES affect spikes? The wiki seemed sure it didn't... Are the spikes affected just by the mechanism in the trap or also by the one in the lever? (And are they affected by the lever mechanism quality?)
Soaplent green is goblins!

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2011, 08:54:45 pm »

Mechanisms are not required to build upright spears/spikes. Mechanisms are only required if you want those spikes to move...

Drawde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2011, 10:29:44 pm »

In fact it's such a big deal that when my mechanic just went legendary by making a ridiculously intricately decorated and menacing artifact mechanism, I tore out a bunch of the traps in my abbatoir welcome room just so I could forbid the existing fairly crappy mechanisms and use new masterwork ones he is making.
You don't have to forbid them.  When it's time to choose the mechanism to build the trap, hit "X".  It changes the list from each material of mechanism to each individual mechanism.  Listed by distance, of course.  So you just look through the list for the closest masterwork one.

Works on other menus also.  Except the stock menu, which uses "TAB".
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4