Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Trade Screen: RSI and you.  (Read 1698 times)

xordae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Trade Screen: RSI and you.
« on: March 18, 2011, 10:55:14 am »

Please Toady, please make trading less of an arrow-enter-arrow-enter fest. When you have a big fortress and lots of stuff, it takes forever to go through everything you want to sell. And then you find out that the traders who just arrived don't have good stuff and you just wasted your time. Instead, I propose grouping.

What would you like to bring to the depot? You have:

200 Stone Crafts
200 Metal Crafts
100 Stone Instruments (bassists fear no death)
20 Metal Swords

I select the 200 Rock Crafts and "all" is the standard setting. I select the 20 Metal swords and tick an option that says "sell lowest quality" and I tell it I want to sell 10, keeping the good stuff for myself. There's also a (M)aterial option if I wanted to sell the shit copper swords that enemies may drop, and nothing else. Or if I wanted to keep the couple of Adamantine Crafts but sell all the rest.

The trade screen is one of the very few things in this game that remain tedious. The other one is if you want to comb through the stocks screen. Having everything listed separately is just not practical.

JohnieRWilkins

• Bay Watcher
  • @_@?
    • View Profile
Re: Trade Screen: RSI and you.
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 11:18:23 am »

This isn't going to be a problem for long for other reasons. Your rock crafts may become entirely worthless and you'll be trading goods that have actual worth, like metal swords. Let's see what the caravan arc brings.
- But honestly, if you think
If we could miniaturize things, we would have everybody wielding drawbridges and utterly atomizing

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2011, 11:23:50 am »

And trade them for what? By the time I've got metal swords to trade, I can either take everything from the caravan, or produce it myself.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

xordae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011, 11:48:17 am »

Your rock crafts may become entirely worthless and you'll be trading goods that have actual worth, like metal swords.

2000 high-end metal war gear compared to 2000 rock crafts makes it easier to trade - how?

And trade them for what? By the time I've got metal swords to trade, I can either take everything from the caravan, or produce it myself.

So you're saying you shouldn't have to trade. But I want to. And it shouldn't be tedious.

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2011, 12:12:36 pm »

I agree that there's an unnecessarily large number of button presses required to complete a trade encounter. The worst offender to me is searching for food in the barrels menu. The next worst is re-specifying my desired imports, even if they don't change.

It would be an improvement to move Food/Drink to their own submenu for Move Good to Trade Depot action.

It would also be good to have trade agreements saved from year to year, and only need to make modifications to it when there are changes desired for next year.

Root Infinity

• Bay Watcher
  • Why?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, 12:47:11 pm »

And while you're at it, fix the whole "bringing cages to the depot releases the animals" thing...
Or has this been fixed? I forget...
Classic Medieval sexist views are awesome when they work out in your favor.
Noone likes my witty comments enough to sig them.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2011, 01:38:16 pm »

You wouldn't need to sell 200 swords to get the same deal... cause see swords are worth something, unlike dacite earings.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

DuineAnaithnid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2011, 03:29:42 pm »

This is the one thing I really want.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2011, 06:47:12 pm »

Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Peaceful Slugman

• Bay Watcher
  • dont axe me bro
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2011, 07:10:17 pm »

And then you find out that the traders who just arrived don't have good stuff and you just wasted your time.

After several times where I would select everything I wanted to give away, then selected everything that I wanted to buy and realized that the value of what I wanted to give away was about 15 times the value of what I wanted to buy, I learned that I should select what I want to buy first.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2011, 03:30:35 am »

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Macro
THANK YOU!  I was afraid I was the only player who knew how to use a macro...

GotIt_00

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2011, 03:04:28 pm »

How will a macro allow the player to designate "sell lowest quality?" Granted, I'm just now using them to set up dwarf job profiles, but I don't see how saved key entries can take care of any of this issue. If I want to sell all rock crafts even, why is this helpful?

It would be really nice to see the trading menu streamlined a bit, especially for players who want to vary industry output to meet trade agreements or whatever.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2011, 03:18:39 pm »

I have a macro made to trade an entire screen's worth of trade goods.  So, I go into "move goods to depot" then to "finished goods" and mark ALL those goblin socks, loincloths, and other goblinite for trade just by hitting Ctrl P and wiping down a whole page.  Or do a search for "goblet", sort by value, and then go to the bottom of the list where the cheap stuff is, and macro it.

GotIt_00

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2011, 03:24:07 pm »

I have a macro made to trade an entire screen's worth of trade goods.  So, I go into "move goods to depot" then to "finished goods" and mark ALL those goblin socks, loincloths, and other goblinite for trade just by hitting Ctrl P and wiping down a whole page.  Or do a search for "goblet", sort by value, and then go to the bottom of the list where the cheap stuff is, and macro it.

No way...I've read the wiki entry on macros, and I clearly don't understand their utility. Thanks for the insight; macros are way outside of my knowledge base, so I'm not sure of their potential uses.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2011, 03:33:46 pm »

A macro works very simply.  Stupidly so.  You hit Ctrl - r, and then you perform the action you want.  Then hit Ctrl - r again to stop recording.  Hit Ctrl - s  to save, or if you messed up you can start recording again and try again.  Once saved, you can Ctrl - l (lowercase L) to load it at any time and play it again.  It's stupid though, so it will do exactly what you pressed previously, no matter where it is or what it's doing.  If you're in the trade screen and record a macro, then if you open the military screen and replay it, you might accidentally change uniforms and squad assignments, because the macro simply repeats EXACTLY the keystrokes you pressed previously.

I have a few macros, for building a tower level, for placing beddings, cabinets, and doors on the constructed tower, and for assigning the beds to be rooms.  Three separate macros.  I've also got a few for repetitive things, like designating 5 Z levels of "carve up/down stairs" and "press e 10 times" for when I'm making pressure plates.  I'll soon be adding one that makes a uniform for steel plate armor, although because equipment is never quite identical (sometimes you get high boots, sometimes you get low) it'll still take a little bit of tweaking to fix the odd flukes.  This means that every time I make a new fort, I can run a macro for steel plate armor, instead of manually making the uniform again.  Really, macros can save a lot of time pretty much anywhere you want to apply them.
Pages: [1] 2