Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Killer Pandas  (Read 1157 times)

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
Killer Pandas
« on: March 18, 2011, 09:28:37 am »

In my most recent fortress, which was a nanofortress, I had pandas and their relatives (gigantic pandas and panda men) carry off about 5 dwarves in a 20-dwarf fortress for seemingly no reason. Seriously, they're almost as bad as the Boatmurdered elephants. Anybody else had this problem with bloodthirsty pandas?

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

ThrowerOfStones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Alea Iacta Est
Re: Killer Pandas
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 09:31:30 am »

The Pandas in my fortress did seem somewhat more violent than other animals, attacking dwarves for no reason. Never actually did any damage, though.
The dead do not respond to context.
Pencil and Paper Blog Ahoy!

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2011, 09:43:49 am »

I find it a good source of fun! Three deaths to pandas so far, two of which were pandamen. Do you know how many bolts those guys can take? I got a bunch of dabbling archers up to competent by using wooden arrows and a crippled panda.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

rojiru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011, 09:58:11 am »

You'll also notice in world gen giant pandas are more dangerous than trolls.

Mimidormi

• Bay Watcher
  • Magnetite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2011, 10:02:09 am »

They sure seem to be more violent and bloodthirsty than the other livestock!

I haven't met the gigantic ones yet, but i can confirm that fights amongst the standard-sized variety happen a lot, usually a very disheartening adults vs cubs. I suspect they become so aggressive cause of the bamboo regrowth, since normal grass is starting to outnumber the bamboo tiles in my temperate conifer map, and they find themselves with less food every year.

Panda people seem pretty shy, even when in huge groups of almost a dozen, but when cornered they are deadly, almost always opening the fight with a chokehold to the throat.