Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Engineered Misery  (Read 2228 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Engineered Misery
« on: March 18, 2011, 06:04:36 am »

So, I've got an idea.  It revolves around making a fort that tortures and kills regularly, and these events will show up in statues and engravings.  I'm trying to figure out all the horrible things that will appear in art.  Namely, deaths and wounds.  I know that any striking down will be depicted, as will skewering on spikes.  Will starving, infection, and drowning show up in art?

Basically, I want a museum of chaos, statues lining the walls depicting the most vile and unfortunate of accidents.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
Re: Engineered Misery
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 06:09:13 am »

Mod your elephants to remove [BENIGN] and add [LARGE_PREDATOR]. Then embark on a terrifying tropical dry broadleaf/coniferous forest.

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2011, 06:19:17 am »

I've seen engravings of dwarves starving (withering away) and I think drowning too, I haven't seen any of infection though.  You can definitely get statues of particular injuries, as I had one fort with interesting local history of elves getting ripped up by the local megabeasts.
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011, 06:25:05 am »

Mod your elephants to remove [BENIGN] and add [LARGE_PREDATOR]. Then embark on a terrifying tropical dry broadleaf/coniferous forest.
I'm actually thinking of a savage desert.  Get some Giant Desert Scorpions in there.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2011, 06:39:32 am »

I'm actually thinking of a savage desert.  Get some Giant Desert Scorpions in there.

I approve.

But normal GDS aren't especially aggressive. I've had more problems with troglodytes than GDS.

However, a terrifying desert can be fun.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, 06:40:38 am »

...Skeletal Giant Desert Scorpions

EDIT: Actually no, they have exoskeletons, not bones, so they can't skeleton.  They can zombie though.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2011, 06:47:03 am »

Cannot they be exoskeleton undead rather than normal skeleton undead ? Oh well.

Be also sure to raise their frequency in the raws. As well as giant leopards and giant jaguars.

In my untamed wilds desert, I keep getting endless hordes of camels, with the occasional GDS cluster once or twice per year and the occasional lonely giant predator as well.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 06:48:35 am by Naryar »

Andal

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning! Fourth wall breached!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2011, 06:57:12 am »

I lost 6 of 7 embarking dwarves to dehydration, and it ended up plastered all over my walls later on.
When I was reorganizing my inventory to fit all by books on life and death into various bags and things, I looked at my inventory and saw that I was multigrasping a necromancer slab.  It was pretty hilarious.
I think that would be an excellent way to impart the critical lessons of life and death to the ignorant masses.

Newbunkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2011, 07:09:33 am »

Anger the local elves and then drop an unarmed peasant outside as an "offering" each time they come. Maybe you'll get lots of engravings of elves killing dwarves.  :D

Daetrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2011, 07:11:00 am »

I'm pretty sure infection deaths show up as "withering away" too, but they're labeled "death from infection."  I've only had one engraving of such though, and it was a couple forts ago, so I can't be completely certain.
All you need to know about Ardentdikes
It is really, really easy to flood this place with magma fwiw.

Doors stop fire, right?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2011, 07:23:54 am »

What about magma related... accidents?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2011, 07:28:33 am »

Burning.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Newbunkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2011, 07:42:04 am »

Perhaps you could have a fort full of randomly retracting bridges that drop dwarves into rooms full of angry animals, but something ordinarily harmless like bunnies. Maybe you can drive them crazy in the first place by suffocating them with miasma.

Urist McGyver

• Bay Watcher
  • I love Roc Birds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2011, 07:43:46 am »

Drop at least one down a 50-Z shaft.

"On this wall is engraved the masterfull image of Urist McTomPetty by Urist McSadistBastard. Urist McJohnMayer is free falling".

<edit for minor correction>
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 08:13:23 am by Urist McGyver »
It's treated as completely normal because this is Dwarf Fortress.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with surrounding yourself with a wall of flames, only to later realize that you're surrounded by a wall of flames.
There's nothing that can't be solved by hurling fifteen roc birds at it.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2011, 07:57:21 am »

Also call your fortress Boatmurdered the Second
Pages: [1] 2